All things Softball Rankings (Merged)

ellitor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We will find out if FSU is legit this weekend though. They have to play #19 aTm, #10 Arizona, #6 UCLA, & #11 Michigan this week.

We have 2 tough games against #13 James Madison also.

Gotta give the top coaches credit...nobody seems to be ducking the good competition...and I'm hoping nobody gets penalized for taking on the tough schedule and having a few bumps in the road along the way.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We will find out if FSU is legit this weekend though. They have to play #19 aTm, #10 Arizona, #6 UCLA, & #11 Michigan this week.

We've got 1 elite sports program at AU at the moment and that is softball; (equestrian) if you consider that a sport I guess. Anyway, I would like to see softball keep their foot on everybody else's necks and not faulter down the stretch. Keep kickin booty girls!

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I was about to post the same thing about FSU. Up to this point, our body of work looks better to me than them. That looks like a good tourney. A lot of good teams. Also of note last weekend, UL Lafayette beat Bama 2 of 3. UL is very tough to beat at home. Great crowds every game. 

Not too surprising.  FSU narrowly lost to us in the WCWS last year, due to an all-world catch by Draper and a close play at home.  I think they had the best hitting team we faced there.  Florida lost to winless Maryland, causing them to drop to third.  Alabama fell from 5th to 10th after losing twice to ULaLa - and not close losses.  The season heats up.

SEC - Auburn #2, Florida #3, LSU #7, Bama #10, Georgia #11, Tennessee #15, aTm #18, Missouri #20 and Kentucky #22.

With South Carolina and Ole Miss also receiving votes. 

Already played OU #4 and Washington #8.

Still got JMU #13, BYU #23 and USF #25

WOW!!! It is going to be one heck of a season. They are going to earn it this year for sure.

12 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

SEC - Auburn #2, Florida #3, LSU #7, Bama #10, Georgia #11, Tennessee #15, aTm #18, Missouri #20 and Kentucky #22.

With South Carolina and Ole Miss also receiving votes. 

Already played OU #4 and Washington #8.

Still got JMU #13, BYU #23 and USF #25

WOW!!! It is going to be one heck of a season. They are going to earn it this year for sure.

DAMN!  9 SEC teams in the top 25 ~ You Go Girls!

:wareagle:

It seems to me, this 2017 team is just starting to find the niche and as the freshmen girls starting growing into their roles and Myers gets lineups figured out, they are going to be pretty dang tough to beat, especially if the pitching continues to be as it has been the past few games, granted against not that good of teams, but still.  The even better thing is with Myers playing as many freshmen early it will help down the line, if there is an unfortunate injury sidelining a "starter".  The sky is the limit with this team I think.  They are going to get better and better, which is not good news for the SEC.  

in this week's softball rankings.  FSU held on to #1 despite losing to Texas A&M, who vaulted from 18th to 5th after a prodigious weekend.  Oklahoma fell to #9 after dropping games to Tennessee and Notre Dame.  Alabama slipped a notch to #11, although they lost no games during the week.  And Ole Miss slipped into the Top 25, giving the SEC nine teams in that listing.

Losing a close game to a ranked team while facing their best, and probably one of the best in the nation pitchers, should not have that much affect, especially since we did beat them when they didn't use their top pitcher.  Glad to see some sense of sanity in the polls.  And glad to face some tough competition early in the season so they can be better prepared for future games.

19 minutes ago, GBAU83 said:

Losing a close game to a ranked team while facing their best, and probably one of the best in the nation pitchers, should not have that much affect, especially since we did beat them when they didn't use their top pitcher.  Glad to see some sense of sanity in the polls.  And glad to face some tough competition early in the season so they can be better prepared for future games.

Agree.....baseball and softball...it's expected that even the best teams will lose a game from time to time.....it's a marathon and teams like AU just have to hang in for the long haul and avoid cold spells that cause them to lose games to unrated teams.  JMO but we are doing fine....

And it seems they are hitting better as of late.  I got to see them this weekend.  Great fun.

For sure on that last comment.  After Puerto Vallarta, the team average was under .200.  After the first home series, it was up to .220, but opponents were still outhitting us at .226.  Now the team average is .272 vs. the opponents' .198.  Four players hitting .300 or better:  Draper, Fagan, Shea, and Wallace.

The hitting has to get better for this team to push for the SEC and CWS.  Cooper has been off, not sure if like a slump or just b/c the way everyone is pitching to her,  The JMU pitcher straight up challenged her and won.  IF they can get the bats going like they did last year, they will be very tough to beat.  

No doubt.  They got it going last night.  Don't know that that Liberty pitcher is a Good or Parker, but at least they got the bat on the ball.  Good for the confidence.  See if they keep it going again tonight.  

Rankings - USA Today/NFCA Coaches

Last Updated - March 7, 2017

1 Florida State (17) 778 17-1-1 1
2 Auburn (2) 742 19-2 2
3 Florida (7) 722 20-1 3
4 Oregon (2) 707 19-0 4
5 Arizona 645 18-1 6
6 Texas A&M (2) 630 19-1 5
7 Minnesota (2) 610 18-0 10
8 Washington 553 15-3 8
9 Oklahoma 548 15-4 9
10 UCLA 59 16-5 7

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1

The ESPN rankings are slightly different; in their poll, we dropped from #3 to #4, while Oregon moved into the #3 spot.  Florida and FSU are reversed, with the Gators on top in the ESPN poll.  The SEC has 10 schools in the top 25.  One new one:  Arkansas.  The Razorbacks were the league doormat for the past couple of years, at least; they got a new coach last year, and are now at 17-1.  That should add some interest to conference play.  They aren't on our conference schedule this year.

Wow about Arkansas.  We scored like 40 runs in 2 games against them last year. 

Interesting to see that Arkansas has such a good record, but let's wait and see how good they are when conference play starts.  I doubt they finish anywhere close to the upper half of the league.  They do appear headed in the right direction but they were awful last year and their pre-conference schedule was likely filled with much smaller schools.    Not a bad thing when you have a new coach and are trying to build a program.  Playing some smaller schools to get wins can build the confidence as they improve on things.  I still thing they have a long way to go to be competitive in the SEC.   Good grief the SEC is so deep with so many incredibly good teams its ridiculous.  The SEC could complete half or more than half of the CWCS bracket come June. 

Reality will set in when the hogs play the elephants this weekend in Tuscaloosa.  It seems  I recall that the state of Arkansas was "late" in converting to fast pitch softball so this put them behind in terms of developing local talent.  I do think their current resume is heavily "padded".

Archived