All things Softball Rankings (Merged)

ellitor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The ESPN rankings are slightly different; in their poll, we dropped from #3 to #4, while Oregon moved into the #3 spot.  Florida and FSU are reversed, with the Gators on top in the ESPN poll.  The SEC has 10 schools in the top 25.  One new one:  Arkansas.  The Razorbacks were the league doormat for the past couple of years, at least; they got a new coach last year, and are now at 17-1.  That should add some interest to conference play.  They aren't on our conference schedule this year.

Not understanding the drop 2 weeks in a row with the ESPN poll. We lost to #13 James Madison in a pitchers duel 1-0 and drop from 2nd to 3rd in the previous poll. This past week we go 5-0, run-ruling the teams in 4 of those games and the fifth was an 8-1 decision and drop from 3rd to 4th. I do realize this will work itself out as the season progresses, just found it odd that we continue to drop in that particular poll.

1 hour ago, MDM4AU said:

Not understanding the drop 2 weeks in a row with the ESPN poll. We lost to #13 James Madison in a pitchers duel 1-0 and drop from 2nd to 3rd in the previous poll. This past week we go 5-0, run-ruling the teams in 4 of those games and the fifth was an 8-1 decision and drop from 3rd to 4th. I do realize this will work itself out as the season progresses, just found it odd that we continue to drop in that particular poll.

This week it's because Oregon is unbeaten beating a then ranked Mizzou soundly on the road twice.

We slipped back to #4 in this week's NFCA/USA Today ranking of the Top 25.  FSU maintained the top spot, while Florida and Oregon (the only undefeated team) edged into the 2 and 3 slots.  No really big changes.  Texas A&M dropped from 5 to 7, and LSU dropped one notch to 13.  Tonight's opponent, Tennessee, has the same record we do,and is ranked #15.  ESPN hasn't updated its ranking yet.

I expect there is going to be a lot of shoveling around in the rankings as the season progresses. Lots of good teams are playing each other and no way that everyone can avoid the effects of their losses. Just hoping we can stay in the top eight with the schedule we play. 

Exactly.  And now the ESPN rankings are out, and we are #5 there, with Florida at #1.  I notice Alabama is 8 in the ESPN list, and 11 on the Coaches' list.  Arizona slipped past us in the ESPN ranking.  One minor surprise is that Michigan is down at #17, while Minnesota is in the Top 10.  Just something fun to watch.

Just noted on the softball site Tennessee game has been canceled tonight ...

Hallelujah! I was hoping they would cancel. Not fair to either team to play in these conditions. It's cold up here (I'm about 50 miles from Columbia). I actually checked the softball site earlier to see if there was any news about that game. I had planned to go, even bought advance tickets, but had decided last night against it. 40 degrees at gametime, with a 10-15 mph north wind. Wind chill of 28 at 8PM.

I'm wondering if MTSU might end up cancelling the game tomorrow as the high is only 41 for tomorrow.  Are you coming up for it OW??

Games this coming weekend will play a huge role in where we stay in the rankings for a while I think. 

The RPI should go up now that conference play has begun.  Notice that Oklahoma now has 7 losses,and has dropped to #13.  Tennessee dropped about 5 places after losing the series to Arkansas.

6 hours ago, AU64 said:

Games this coming weekend will play a huge role in where we stay in the rankings for a while I think. 

I agree.  If we win the series this weekend at Florida, we should be 2-4.  If we sweep them, I would put us first, but I am biased. 

My thoughts, We sweep Florida we move to #3 unless something bad happens to fsu and ducks

We take 2, we stay at #4, florida drops to 3

we take 1 we drop to 5/6

we lose all three, we drop to 6/7/8

My guess...

3 game sweep by us, on the road, we swap places with Florida.  We move to 2nd (1st in some polls) and they drop to 4th....5th at worst.

We win 2, we move to 3nd and they drop to 4th

Take only one, FL stays put, we drop to 5th or 6th

Get swept, we end up 8th, 9th or 10th, and FL takes over #1

All this assuming other top ten teams don't lose any games. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

11 out of 14 SEC teams in the top 25.  Damn strong!  

Only 13 SEC teams.  Vanderbilt doesn't play softball.  Also note that none of the 3 include last night's game.

Wondering why anyone would want to coach in the SEC....prestige of course...but a brutal task to put a winner on the field.

3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Only 13 SEC teams.  Vanderbilt doesn't play softball.  Also note that none of the 3 include last night's game.

I figured a drop of a spot if we lost 2 of the three, so a one spot drop without the win included is okay.  Plenty of opportunity for us to beat tough competition.  Sad thing is other conferences may get better ratings due to weaker schedules.  But we have a strong RPI as well.

Just keep winning and the rest will shake out.

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Look at the date my friend. Softball polls are always done on Tuesdays. Last night's W was factored in the votes.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Look at the date my friend. Softball polls are always done on Tuesdays. Last night's W was factored in the votes.

I don't think so.  Look at the records listed for AU and Florida in the polls.  You'll see they're short one game.

12 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I don't think so.  Look at the records listed for AU and Florida in the polls.  You'll see they're short one game.

That's just the NCAA site doing that. Trust me. I've been following softball polls since AU got Myers including the impact of the weekly SEC Monday games. They are done Tuesday mornings. I promise.

I know they're put out about midday Tuesday.  What I'm saying is, all three polls show the records as of Sunday night.  And to me, that means those are the records those polls are based on.  If not, why put them there?  It will all rectify in another week anyway.

6 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I know they're put out about midday Tuesday.  What I'm saying is, all three polls show the records as of Sunday night.  And to me, that means those are the records those polls are based on.  If not, why put them there?  It will all rectify in another week anyway.

It's always done that way but I promise you Monday games are affected in the polls. I have seen Monday games not listed in the Tuesday polls but can clearly see the Monday game was affected in where a team ranked even though the records aren't up to date. I have been following this closely for over 3 years now because I thought it was strange too. Just trust me on this even though it doesn't make much sense.

Archived