TJ Lang to transfer

Maverick.AU

56 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, that is true but it seems that about the time the GTs get fully acclimated to the team they are on their way . We are playing GT's one year which often means the younger players are not getting enough time to develop.

I guess this is a strategy the coach has to deal with but once you start down that road , I don't see how you can change to develop a balanced roster. 

Our young players are getting plenty of time & attention to develop. Whether they have the focus & proper coaching to do so remains to be seen.

You change by getting better and progressing, allowing you to get more of the better high school players & not having to rely on GTs. And even when you have an immediate hole for a GT to fill you can get more talented GTs than we have been getting. That's why showing empirical evidence of the program improving by making the NCAA Tourney next season is so vitally important. It would validate the recruiting that has already been done & open doors for getting better talented HS players & better GTs when needed.

I saw Kerem Kanter, brother of OKC Thunder's Enes Kanter is on track to graduate and transfer. He's a 6'10 turkish big man that played at Wisconsin-Green Bay I believe. Averaged 11ppg and 6 rbg over 20 minutes/game. Not stellar stats by any means but he's got good size which we sorely need. Hey Tobias Harris' brother was effective for us maybe this younger Kanter could be a solid depth-adding solution in the front court.

On 2nd look, Kanter's playing time was sporadic and his numbers reflect that. In games he got big minutes he had impressive stat lines, albeit against lower than top competition. But they did play Wisconsin and he had a solid 18 points and 5 rebounds, and he went 3-5 from 3 point land. He may be a stretch-4 or 5 which may not be ideal for our rebounding situation but a 6'10 body that can shoot is always welcome in my book.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I saw Kerem Kanter, brother of OKC Thunder's Enes Kanter is on track to graduate and transfer. He's a 6'10 turkish big man that played at Wisconsin-Green Bay I believe. Averaged 11ppg and 6 rbg over 20 minutes/game. Not stellar stats by any means but he's got good size which we sorely need. Hey Tobias Harris' brother was effective for us maybe this younger Kanter could be a solid depth-adding solution in the front court.

On 2nd look, Kanter's playing time was sporadic and his numbers reflect that. In games he got big minutes he had impressive stat lines, albeit against lower than top competition. But they did play Wisconsin and he had a solid 18 points and 5 rebounds, and he went 3-5 from 3 point land. He may be a stretch-4 or 5 which may not be ideal for our rebounding situation but a 6'10 body that can shoot is always welcome in my book.

Seems to me that a guy like that could be very useful to spell Wiley even if he only plays 15 or 20 minutes per game . Wiley he has a tendency to file and it hurts to have to pull him from the game first half nobody similar size to replace him. 

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems to me that a guy like that could be very useful to spell Wiley even if he only plays 15 or 20 minutes per game . Wiley he has a tendency to file and it hurts to have to pull him from the game first half nobody similar size to replace him. 

Yup. Horace and Wiley both are susceptible to foul trouble. Lol seemed Horace, at times, was in foul trouble before the first TV timeout his freshman year.

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

Stretch 4 stuff is so over rated in this forum. But maybe not maybe it's just overrated by pearl. A stretch 4 is a luxury. But you don't pass good players while hoping a guy maybe can play that style but Idk....like I said in another post seems like this has ruined Purifoy.

We don't need stronger players we need tougher players. Basketball players. This being good at one thing is really pissing me off though. I know you going to have strength and weaknesses but it's like our team it's literally one thing a player can do and people are cool with it. 

And we haven't been good in so long I don't think we know what good is anymore. We say guys are good shooters who aren't, guys are good defenders that aren't, just giving out accolades because we want the guys to be good. But Idk I'm frustrated

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

Stretch 4 stuff is so over rated in this forum. But maybe not maybe it's just overrated by pearl. A stretch 4 is a luxury. But you don't pass good players while hoping a guy maybe can play that style but Idk....like I said in another post seems like this has ruined Purifoy.

We don't need stronger players we need tougher players. Basketball players. This being good at one thing is really pissing me off though. I know you going to have strength and weaknesses but it's like our team it's literally one thing a player can do and people are cool with it. 

And we haven't been good in so long I don't think we know what good is anymore. We say guys are good shooters who aren't, guys are good defenders that aren't, just giving out accolades because we want the guys to be good. But Idk I'm frustrated

Good commentary ......and I don't think you are alone on this but every time someone raises those points about the deficiencies you mention, it is considered anti-Pearl....rather than an assessment of the development or lack thereof by our players.   

I know it's a lousy comparison but last night Fox played almost 40 minutes, was the primary ball handler and drove to the hoop a dozen times....and had only one turnover.   No doubt the guy is exceptional but if our guys are 4* or 5* players...he must be a seven or eight. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Good commentary ......and I don't think you are alone on this but every time someone raises those points about the deficiencies you mention, it is considered anti-Pearl....rather than an assessment of the development or lack thereof by our players.   

I know it's a lousy comparison but last night Fox played almost 40 minutes, was the primary ball handler and drove to the hoop a dozen times....and had only one turnover.   No doubt the guy is exceptional but if our guys are 4* or 5* players...he must be a seven or eight. 

Well I told everybody that the guys we were getting weren't one year changing players like him, ball, Jackson and etc. I said them by name. Some people listened to me and some didn't

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I told everybody that the guys we were getting weren't one year changing players like him, ball, Jackson and etc. I said them by name. Some people listened to me and some didn't

There is a difference between "one and done"  and our top freshmen......I sure knew that from the start....but it's not unreasonable to think that our 5 star guys would be a little more fundamentally sound. ,,,shooting, play making, defense?

Meanwhile, it's been fun to watch the guards (PG and shooting) that are leading the teams in the tournament.  

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

There is a difference between "one and done"  and our top freshmen......I sure knew that from the start....but it's not unreasonable to think that our 5 star guys would be a little more fundamentally sound. ,,,shooting, play making, defense?

Meanwhile, it's been fun to watch the guards (PG and shooting) that are leading the teams in the tournament.  

Well the five star guys were our best all around players don't you think?

Just now, cole256 said:

Well the five star guys were our best all around players don't you think?

True....but there are 5* players that we get...and the kind that end up at Kansas or UK ....not the same.  You agree?   But an advantage for us I guess is that our guys are likely to be here a few years whereas those other guys are basically already gone....and coaches are trying to find another just like them which not easy.    

The guy you have to admire though is Mason at Kansas....lightly recruited and now maybe the best PG in Div I...or certainly among the top 3 or 4. 

On 3/25/2017 at 7:29 PM, AU64 said:

True....but there are 5* players that we get...and the kind that end up at Kansas or UK ....not the same.  You agree?   But an advantage for us I guess is that our guys are likely to be here a few years whereas those other guys are basically already gone....and coaches are trying to find another just like them which not easy.    

The guy you have to admire though is Mason at Kansas....lightly recruited and now maybe the best PG in Div I...or certainly among the top 3 or 4. 

Loved watching Mason

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, AU64 said:

Our 2 - 5* Players were Herron and Wiley.  Herron was the most consistent player on our team only had one game where he was not in double figures. If he has been just a little bit better people would have been talking about him leaving early. Herron was fundamentally sound good scorer, good rebounder, he was solid on defense, 77% FT shooter not much more could have been expected of him. Wiley was really a HS senior who didn't come in the summer before fall and start conditioning and learning the system. How good he would have been his first year with the extra time and a year older is debatable. I don't think he would have been one and done either but he would  have been a lot better. Because of Wiley coming in late in December you really can't compare him to the 5* players who went through summer and fall with the other teams.

I was very happy with both of them and I expect them both to be a lot better next year. 

Archived