adding a lot of passing plays

aubiefifty

Auburn adds 'a lot of passing plays' under Chip Lindsey

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey works with quarterbacks Tuesday, Feb. 28, 2017, during the first day of spring football practice at the Auburn Athletics Complex in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com)

The "bells and whistles" Chip Lindsey is adding to Auburn's offense includes an expanded passing game.

The change is not unexpected, as Auburn's new offensive coordinator has had more productive passing attacks than the Tigers over the course of his college coaching career.

Through six spring practices, Lindsey's impact on the playbook has been noticeable to at least one wide receiver.

"We've put in a lot of passing plays," sophomore wide receiver Eli Stove said. "We're going to be throwing it around a lot."

With Auburn coming off a 2016 season in which it ranked 112th nationally with 169.5 passing yards per game, there's virtually no place to go but up. Add Lindsey's offensive tweaks and Jarrett Stidham to the quarterback picture and there's changes coming the aerial attack.

"He likes to air it out, so that will be pretty good for us, our receivers," Stove said. "And we added on John Franklin (to the receivers), so we'll be pretty good this year."

How Chip Lindsey is changing Auburn's offense this spring

How Chip Lindsey is changing Auburn's offense this spring

Spring practice will be the first indicator as to how much Auburn's offense will change under new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said Tuesday's practice, Auburn's sixth of the spring, was "mostly review" and not installing more of the offense and defense.

Even with a trimmed quarterback field, Malzahn said the coaches are not "throwing a whole bunch of plays" at the signal callers beyond the base offense. None of the quarterbacks have spoken publicly this spring.

Earlier in the spring, Malzahn said Lindsey would "add some bells and whistles and some flair" to the offense and while the tweaks to the passing game were a given, the core identity and philosophy is not altering much thus far.

"We still have the same philosophy tempo-wise -- full-speed," junior wide receiver Ryan Davis said. "It's pretty much the same thing; nothing too much has changed."

• WarTiger changed the title to adding a lot of passing plays
On 3/23/2017 at 10:47 AM, WarEagle1983 said:

I'll be like a kid on Christmas if we run more than 3 routes this season.

...and I'll be right there with you so long as the receivers catch the balls that hit them in the hands, plus go up and battle and snag a few that they might have a legitimate reason to miss.

I will just be glad to have ALL of our receivers running a route instead of 1 running a route and the rest running 5 yards then stopping and twiddling their thumbs until the play is over, Never realized how often we did this until I sat in the upper deck for a few games.

6 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I will just be glad to have ALL of our receivers running a route instead of 1 running a route and the rest running 5 yards then stopping and twiddling their thumbs until the play is over, Never realized how often we did this until I sat in the upper deck for a few games.

Ain't that the trust

On 3/23/2017 at 10:47 AM, WarEagle1983 said:

Man even listening to sw interview seems like we might finally decide to coach up the most important position in the game!

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, WarEagle1983 said:

I'd be almost that happy if the WRs just run precise and correct routes....even when they are not the primary receivers. 

Looks like a pretty low hurdle for Lindsey to satisfy people on this board....:)

On 3/25/2017 at 3:41 PM, CleCoTiger said:

...and I'll be right there with you so long as the receivers catch the balls that hit them in the hands, plus go up and battle and snag a few that they might have a legitimate reason to miss.

I think we have that now with the type of WRs we've recruited. I like that we're targeted kids that have primarily played WR instead of just getting ATH and trying to develop them into WRs. Sometimes it works but i'd rather have a more WR that's a little more polished. I love our young WRs as they've shown if given the chance they will go up and get the ball. We just need to give them more opportunities to do so.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Looks like a pretty low hurdle for Lindsey to satisfy people on this board....:)

Speaks volumes about our passing game the last few years...doesn't it? lol. 

Archived