AU to host Samford in 2019

GwillMac6

If Jacobs is going to keep scheduling in state teams, then why the heck doesn't he talk with the AD's at Troy, UAB and South Alabama. Is JJ scared? it seems like he is.

33 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If Jacobs is going to keep scheduling in state teams, then why the heck doesn't he talk with the AD's at Troy, UAB and South Alabama. Is JJ scared? it seems like he is.

I don't think it's as dumb as "JJ is so scared to play the other teams!"  UAB didn't have a football program at all just recently and these types of games are planned years in advance.  Would you consider UA scared of the teams you listed as well because they don't play them?  At least we are making an effort to keep the revenue within the state.  

For whatever its worth, a simple google search reveals that Jacobs has indeed discussed a possible game with UAB back in 2016.  The first available date at that time for Auburn to schedule a non-conference game was 2019.

The majority of the reason why some teams get placed on our schedule and others don't is soley because of scheduling conflict.  Like I mentioned earlier, these are made years in advance.  You don't just call any opponent of the week and say," Hey, let's play next year and this is when we are going to do it."

Troy was a 10 win program. I think JJ is scared if it is close or we lose it'll drastically hurt our recruiting. Troy is the school we need to be playing yearly. They have a decent fan base and it'd make the game at least interesting even though most years we would beat them bad. Oklahoma plays Tulsa every year and has even visited Tulsa every tenish years. They have even lost to Tulsa a long time ago. Its fun and we should get that kind of relationship with the Trojans that are only an hour and a half away. Stupid we play teams like Mercer and Samford over Troy. 

• WarTiger changed the title to AU to host Samford in 2019
4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Not scared just smart. Remember the Jax State game. No benefit to Auburn in playing Troy. Turds across the street will not play them either. There was one year that Troy was the best team in this state. We have played Samford in the past.

No win situation.  I'll never understand why we schedule in state teams - gives them money, visibility and a chance to take down Goliath with a magical day.  No benefit even if we win 99-0 and play the waterboy.

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

No win situation.  I'll never understand why we schedule in state teams - gives them money, visibility and a chance to take down Goliath with a magical day.  No benefit even if we win 99-0 and play the waterboy.

I rather play samford in a non conference bball game. Their coach former kentucky great and nba alum scott padgett has them on the right track.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I think we strike the right balance, we keep the money with an in-state team ....and play someone who is unlikely to rise to our power level. Samford is no more a "no-win" game then most of the other out of conference games.   I would not be in favor of playing one of the offshoot teams from UAT... .. that includes UAB.

13 hours ago, oracle79 said:

We give out of state cupcakes the exact same thing, don't we? And the benefits- and risks- to us are the same as playing any other, out of state cupcake. 

And the benefits are creating a schedule that actually gives us a shot at having a playoff worthy record come December, and having a team that is healthy enough to compete in said playoffs.

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We give out of state cupcakes the exact same thing, don't we? And the benefits- and risks- to us are the same as playing any other, out of state cupcake

I'm not against playing cupcakes at all.  Since we don't have preseason games you need them early and since you can't pick your open date, you need them before tough opponents obviously.  To me, it would be by far and long lasting to lose to Samford than it would be to lose to say Northern Illinois or insert out of state directional university.  We don't share media with them nor recruiting areas nor fan bases.

12 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I'm not against playing cupcakes at all.  Since we don't have preseason games you need them early and since you can't pick your open date, you need them before tough opponents obviously.  To me, it would be by far and long lasting to lose to Samford than it would be to lose to say Northern Illinois or insert out of state directional university.  We don't share media with them nor recruiting areas nor fan bases.

Hmm. Maybe. When we almost lost to Jacksonville State, it never crossed my mind that we almost lost to an in-state school. I only thought "small school that Auburn should never ever ever in a million trillionty years lose to". Maybe it would've been different if we actually did lose, though.

If we lose to one of the in-state"small schools" ...Jax St or Troy or USA.....shame on us.

I could be wrong but I think we gain more from showing respect to those schools by helping them financially and giving them a "money bowl" game at AU. To me, there is totally nothing to gain by playing Western Carolina or someone like that.

If we played in the ACC, I'd be upset. However, in the SEC West, schedule as many cupcakes as you need.

Archived