2017 Cal Grad Transfer OT Aaron Cochran

ellitor

Keith says there is mutual interest between AU & Cochran

AU 247 Article

Aaron Cochran, a starter at left tackle last season for Cal who announced earlier this year he was transferring, is officially visiting Auburn this weekend, AuburnUndercover has confirmed.

He arrives Friday and stays through Sunday.

Per Jake Trotter of ESPN.com, the Tigers are in Cochran’s top three, along with Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

The 6-feet-8, 350-pound Cochran appeared in 28 games with 16 starts at Cal.

As a graduate transfer, Cochran is eligible to compete immediately. He will graduate from Cal in May and arrive at his next stop this summer.

While at Auburn, Cochran will get to watch the Tigers scrimmage Saturday.

My prediction is if AU wants him and lets him know he is a priority he will not go on his visit to Texas Tech. Auburn will blow him away this weekend and he will end things.

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

My prediction is if AU wants him and lets him know he is a priority he will not go on his visit to Texas Tech. Auburn will blow him away this weekend and he will end things.

I don't know that AU has room for both him and Fehoko unless 1 of them waits til Mid June to enroll.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I don't know that AU has room for both him and Fehoko unless 1 of them waits til Mid June to enroll.

even after the Queen transfer and boston being kicked?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Being from Cal, he would most likely be our best pass blocker

Not so sure bout run blocking but I agree as a pass blocker

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

even after the Queen transfer and boston being kicked?

Those guys only affect the total 85 limit. I'm talking about room under the yearly 25 new enrollee limit not the total 85 limit. We have 1 spot left on the 2017 25 limit. Any more than 1  would have to wait til June to enroll so they can count forward to the 2018 25 limit.

So are we saying that we believe this guy is better than any of the options we have for the one open tackle spot, since he essentially is a one year hired gun? James, Smith, Ashley, Wanogho, Sammons, Horton, Harrell, Golson.

I agree. With Queen and Boston no longer on the team, I think we will have room for 1 and just maybe both guys if they both wish to come to Auburn.

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

So are we saying that we believe this guy is better than any of the options we have for the one open tackle spot, since he essentially is a one year hired gun? James, Smith, Ashley, Wanogho, Sammons, Horton, Harrell, Golson.

No. Still don't know if he is a take yet for AU. If we take him he would be another guy to compete for 1 of the 2 open tackle spots.

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Being from Cal, he would most likely be our best pass blocker

Cal has had some great success passing the ball the last two years no doubt.  I think he lands at TT however. 

12 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

It means he's a huge guy who might be really good and might be able to help us. Why wouldn't we take a look? 

http://www.calbears.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6342

Biography

Twitter: @Cochran_Aaron | @calfootball
Instagram: Cochran_Aaron | cal_football

Cochran played in 28 games and made 16 starts during the last three seasons of his four campaigns at Cal after redshirting as a true freshman in 2013. Cochran played in 11 games with a career-high 10 starts at left tackle as a 2016 junior after playing in a career-high 12 games with six starts at left tackle all over the final eight games as a 2015 sophomore. He played in five games off the bench and on special teams as a 2014 redshirt freshman. Cochran is on track to earn his bachelor's degree from Cal in interdisciplinary studies in May of 2017.

After Cal
• Announced on February 2, 2017, that he would use his final season of collegiate eligibility as a graduate transfer at another school 

Cal Career (2013-16)
• Played in 28 games with 16 starts during the last three seasons seasons of his four campaigns at Cal after redshirting as a true freshman in 2013
• Registered a career-high 10 starts as a 2016 junior after playing in a career-high 12 games as a 2015 sophomore
• Twice named a Jonathan and Judy Hoff Scholar-Athlete of the Week, once as a sophomore and once as a true freshman

Junior (2016)
• Played in 11 games with a career-high 10 starts
• Helped Cal's offense rank among the top 25 nationally in eight categories – fewest fumbles lost (No. T3, 3), fourth-down conversion percentage (No. 4, 10-12, 74.2%), passing offense (No. 4, 358.8 ypg), first downs offense (No. 8, 335), total offense (No. 10, 513.2 ypg), tackles for loss allowed (No. T13, 4.67 tflpg), plays of 20 or more yards from the line of scrimmage (No. T14, 57), scoring offense (No. 22, 37.1 ppg) and sacks allowed (No. 23, 1.33 spg), while Cal also led the Pac-12 in fewest fumbles lost, total offense and fourth-down conversion percentage
• Helped Cal's offense establish single-school records in 2016 for pass completions (383), first downs by penalty (35), fewest fumbles lost (3) and fewest turnovers (15) while equaling a school mark for field goals made (22)
• Helped protect quarterback Davis Webb, who started all 12 games in his lone season at Cal in 2016 and completed 382-of-620 passes (61.6%) for 4,295 yards with 37 passing touchdowns and 12 interceptions for a 135.63 passing efficiency rating while ranking among the nation’s leaders in nearly every passing category including passing attempts (No. 2), completions (No. 3), points responsible for per game (21.7, No. 3), total offense (348.8, No. 4), passing yards (No. 5), total plays (No. 6, 653), points responsible for (260, No. 7)
• Played in the spring game but did not record any stats other than participation

Sophomore (2015)
• Played in a career-high 12 games with six starts to establish career highs in both categories
• Helped Cal's offense set numerous records including single-season school marks in passing yardage (4,892), passing yards per game (376.3 ypg), passing touchdowns (44), total offense (6,879), total yards per game (529.2 ypg), total touchdowns (63), scoring offense (37.9 ppg, modern-era school record), first downs (341) and first downs passing (201)
• Helped the offense rank third nationally in passing offense, eighth in total offense, 14th in third down conversion percentage (46.9%) and 17th in scoring offense, with all of the numbers second in the Pac-12
• Helped Jared Goff break a pair of Pac-12 single-season records in his final campaign when he passed for 4,719 yards and 43 touchdowns while becoming the first Cal quarterback to earn first-team All-Pac-12 honors since Aaron Rodgers in 2004
• Helped Cal become the only team in the nation to have six receivers with 40 or more catches and the first college football team in recorded history to have six players with 40 or more receptions and three 500-yard rushers in the same season
• Helped Cal set single-game team records with 760 yards of total offense and 36 first downs vs. Oregon State, while tying a modern-era school record with 10 extra-point attempts vs. Grambling State
• Named a Jonathan and Judy Hoff Scholar-Athlete of the Week
• Played in the spring game

Freshman (2014)
• Played in five games off the bench and on special teams, seeing his first collegiate action vs. Sacramento State and also getting on the field vs. UCLA, at Oregon State, at USC and vs. Stanford
• Worked for most of spring practices as the backup left tackle

Freshman (2013)
• Redshirted
• Did not play
• Named a Jonathan and Judy Hoff Scholar-Athlete of the Week
• Cal’s No. 5 recruit prior to the season according to 247Sports/Sporting News and No. 8 by Athlon, while Phil Steele ranked him as the No. 72 national freshman offensive lineman

Buhach Colony HS (Class of 2012)
• Earned All-American honors from MaxPreps and played in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl as a 2012 senior
• Invited to the Cal State Game following his senior season but did not play due to injury
• Racked up additional honors during his senior campaign, earning first-team All-State (Cal-Hi Sports), second-team Division I All-State (MaxPreps), All-NorCal (MaxPreps), first-team All-Sac-Joaquin Section (MaxPreps), All-District (Modesto Bee), All-Area (Merced Sun-Star) and All-Central California Conference (MaxPreps) recognition, as well as being named the CCC Offensive Lineman of the Year
• Added a preseason All-NorCal (MaxPreps) selection as a senior
• Earned first-team All-Sac-Joaquin Section (MaxPreps) and All-CCC (MaxPreps) honors as a 2011 junior
• Each of his final three prep teams in his 2010 sophomore, junior and senior seasons won CCC titles and reached the Sac-Joaquin Section semifinals, combining for a 34-5 overall record and 15-0 CCC mark during the three-year run
• Each of his four prep teams averaged at least 39.1 points, 385.0 yards of total offense and 300.0 yards of rushing
• Also played basketball and was a second-team All-CCC player as a sophomore in 2010-11
• A member of six CCC All-Academic teams, picking up the honor in both football and basketball during his sophomore, junior and senior seasons
• President of his school’s Fellowship of Christian Athletes
• Associated student body vice president during his senior year

Recruiting Notes (Class of 2012)
• A four-star recruit according to ESPN, while he received three stars each from 247Sports Composite, 247Sports, Rivals and Scout
• Listed as the No. 20 offensive tackle in the nation by ESPN, while other position rankings came from 247Sports Composite (No. 39), Rivals (No. 45) and 247Sports (No. 60)
• Among the nation’s top players overall according to ESPN (No. 502)
• Ranked as the No. 47 player overall in his region by ESPN
• Among the top players overall in California by ESPN (No. 37), 247Sports Composite (No. 57), Rivals (No. 67) and 247Sports (No. 87)

Other
• Full name is Aaron Alexander Cochran
• Born June 15, 1995
• Parents are Roderick and Nicole Cochran
• Older brother, Matt Cochran, spent three seasons as a Cal offensive lineman from 2012-14
• Cousin, DeMeco Ryans, was an All-American linebacker at Alabama and has played in the NFL since being drafted by Houston in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft, earning AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2006, first-team All-Pro recognition in 2007 and adding the Ed Block Courage Award in 2007 while making two Pro Bowls in six seasons with the Texans before playing four seasons with Philadelphia (2012-15) before becoming a free agent
• Cousin, Bryan Campbell, played collegiate football at Colorado
• Cousin, Darren Lake, is a 2016 rookie with the San Francisco 49ers after playing 42 games of collegiate football at Alabama from 2012-15
• Major is interdisciplinary studies

Last Updated
February 2, 2017

15 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

No offense but there's no one on the list that gives me reassurance outside of Braden Smith. We may be breaking in a LT and LG in the SEC...

Bring in the experienced pass blocker. 

21 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

No offense but there's no one on the list that gives me reassurance outside of Braden Smith. We may be breaking in a LT and LG in the SEC...

Bring in the experienced pass blocker. 

None taken. Just trying to get people talking.  

On 3/24/2017 at 7:37 PM, ellitor said:

Those guys only affect the total 85 limit. I'm talking about room under the yearly 25 new enrollee limit not the total 85 limit. We have 1 spot left on the 2017 25 limit. Any more than 1  would have to wait til June to enroll so they can count forward to the 2018 25 limit.

Wouldn't that be a non-issue (waiting until June to enroll) since there are no new semesters between now and then?

3 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

Wouldn't that be a non-issue (waiting until June to enroll) since there are no new semesters between now and then?

Summer term starts in the later third of May. Always has since AU went from quarter to semester system. There is a mini Summer term that starts the last 10 days or so in June and if we take both one of them would have to wait til then.

Auburn visit exceeds expectations for Cal grad-transfer OT

Jeffrey Lee | Senior Editor

AUBURN | Cal graduate-transfer offensive tackle Aaron Cochran’s weekend visit to Auburn went better than expected, and he’s now a few weeks away from making his decision.

“It was fantastic, excellent,” Cochran said. “I’m not sure what I was expecting when I came, but I can tell you it exceeded the expectations I had. It’s been great. Everyone is great. The atmosphere is fantastic and the weather has been good, too.”

Cochran arrived in Auburn on Friday and stayed until Sunday. He toured the campus and facilities and watched the Tigers scrimmage Saturday inside Jordan-Hare Stadium. It was important for Cochran to see Auburn’s offensive line in action.

The Tigers informed him of their need for him, but Cochran wanted to see if for himself.

“A lot of coaches are inclined to give you lip service just to get you there, but it was nice to go out there and see the situation with my own eyes and assess it myself,” Cochran said. “I think maybe left tackle is what they’re looking at, so they can move other guys around they think would be better at other positions. It would give them more flexibility across the line and allow time for some people to develop.”

Cochran, who stands 6-foot-8 and weighs 345 pounds, met extensively with offensive line coach Herb Hand during his visit. He was impressed with the Tigers’ second-year coach.

“Coach Hand is fantastic, really passionate about his job and loves his work and his players,” Cochran said. “You can see it in his actions and how his players and staff talk about him and how he carries himself. He’s really open and honest, and you want that as a player.”

Cochran left Auburn without naming a leader among his final three: Auburn, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. He visited Oklahoma State March 10-12 and will visit Texas Tech April 7-9.

“Finding a place that I can call home, and of course, playing,” Cochran said of what he’s looking for in a college. “If I come in and don’t play, it’s a waste. I already have a degree, so right now a lot of my focus is on preparation for the next level and dominating on this level.”

Cochran has one year of eligibility remaining. He started 10 of 11 games last year at Cal, but announced in February his intentions to transfer.

“It was time to move on,” Cochran said. “My experience at Cal has been different. Yes, my coaches left and I lost a good offensive line coach and offensive coordinator, but the new staff has been incredible. They are incredible people.

“If it was another situation at another university with the same coaches, it would have been a perfect storm for me, but I was done being at the University of California.”

Cochran, who was born in Birmingham and lived in the Midfield and Marion areas before moving to Atwater, Calif., plans to announce his college decision following his visit to Texas Tech in April.

3 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

If we want him we got him IMO.

Then we probably have him.I see no need to recruit a grad transfer if you did not want him to begin with.

Archived