2018 3* S Kolbi Fuqua AU enrollee (4/5/19 Update: Enters Transfer Portal)

ellitor

On 4/28/2017 at 11:16 AM, TAYLORKEETON said:

If you played football/baseball then I'm sure you know who he is. It's a dead give away in my user name 

The only Keeton I can recall off the top of my head was Bug Keeton.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:13 PM, PikesEagle said:

The only Keeton I can recall off the top of my head was Bug Keeton.

Ding ding ding 

Guys you can PM the connecting with each other convo. Get back to Fuqua here please.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Guys you can PM the connecting with each other convo. Get back to Fuqua here please.

party pooper haha 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Any updates on this kid?  Things have been really quite for him.  Is he a take for us or another wait and see?

He's committed to AU & has been since April 8th as it shows in parenthesis in the thread title. That generally means a recruit is a take. lol

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

So what now with Fuqua? Quoted from the Visitor's Thread reports:

• Kolbi Fuqua still considers himself a firm commitment in this class and fully expects to ink with the Tigers on Feb. 7. Fuqua said the staff is just telling him to be patient and everything will work itself out leading up to National Signing Day.
  • Fuqua didn’t go into much detail about the decision to not sign, only that it was something he’d wanted to do. Now he has to wait, but doesn’t think he’ll be on the outside looking in for Auburn’s 2018 class.
  • He has been dealing with a shoulder injury that he suffered late in his high school football season. That injury was part of the reason the Tigers wanted to wait and get him on his official visit. After the visit, Fuqua said everything is fine with the team’s potential concerns about his shoulder.
  • Perhaps the most interesting part of it all is that Fuqua doesn’t look like someone who is taking other visits or checking out other schools just to be safe. Fuqua is all Auburn and said he hasn’t been hearing from other programs or considered visits to other schools.

Ambiguous to say the least. The major points are that Fuqua says everything is fine with his injury and he expects to sign on Feb. 7th. Also, he hasn't visited anywhere else and hasn't considered other schools, he's all AU. If, as he says, "everything is fine with the team’s potential concerns about his shoulder." then we pretty much owe this guy a slot in this class. Besides which, safety is a position of need and that's where Fuqua projects. That leaves us with at most, four vacancies. Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

So what now with Fuqua? Quoted from the Visitor's Thread reports:

• Kolbi Fuqua still considers himself a firm commitment in this class and fully expects to ink with the Tigers on Feb. 7. Fuqua said the staff is just telling him to be patient and everything will work itself out leading up to National Signing Day.
  • Fuqua didn’t go into much detail about the decision to not sign, only that it was something he’d wanted to do. Now he has to wait, but doesn’t think he’ll be on the outside looking in for Auburn’s 2018 class.
  • He has been dealing with a shoulder injury that he suffered late in his high school football season. That injury was part of the reason the Tigers wanted to wait and get him on his official visit. After the visit, Fuqua said everything is fine with the team’s potential concerns about his shoulder.
  • Perhaps the most interesting part of it all is that Fuqua doesn’t look like someone who is taking other visits or checking out other schools just to be safe. Fuqua is all Auburn and said he hasn’t been hearing from other programs or considered visits to other schools.

Ambiguous to say the least. The major points are that Fuqua says everything is fine with his injury and he expects to sign on Feb. 7th. Also, he hasn't visited anywhere else and hasn't considered other schools, he's all AU. If, as he says, "everything is fine with the team’s potential concerns about his shoulder." then we pretty much owe this guy a slot in this class. Besides which, safety is a position of need and that's where Fuqua projects. That leaves us with at most, four vacancies. Thoughts?

You pretty much covered it.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

You pretty much covered it.

Ratz! I was hoping you had some more firm, clarifying information.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Ratz! I was hoping you had some more firm, clarifying information.

No because the staff hasn't even fully decided yet.

• Thanks 1

I asked in the all things considered.  Why the fall back on Fuqua?  Are we just slow playing him to dump him last second or is there something serious in his injury that he won’t recover by fall practice.  I think we need a 3rd safety much more then another corner back unless that corner is elite.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I asked in the all things considered.  Why the fall back on Fuqua?  Are we just slow playing him to dump him last second or is there something serious in his injury that he won’t recover by fall practice.  I think we need a 3rd safety much more then another corner back unless that corner is elite.  

Only the staff knows. To my knowledge AU Recruiting Reporters don't have that info.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

I would be very disappointed if we did that to him last second.  Out of respect the kid has been loyal to us for months, and the least we could do is give him a heads up to look at other schools.  Even if we ask him for a greyshirt, that would be low, even though that is the business.  

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

I to would hate to string him along and drop him regardless of who takes the spot.  If we can’t assure him a gray shirt at a minimum then we should tell him.  He’s a very talented guy that just doesn’t play at a dynamic school or against top competition.  If he were at Hoover he’d be a low 4 star.  He’s that talented.  Plus he could have concentrated on one side of the ball.  Isn’t he the small schools state champ in the high jump? And a place holder in the 200?

Edited by corchjay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

I would be very disappointed if we did that to him last second.  Out of respect the kid has been loyal to us for months, and the least we could do is give him a heads up to look at other schools.  Even if we ask him for a greyshirt, that would be low, even though that is the business.  

Gus has frowned on this sort of thing. The only times I recall Auburn offering , a kid committing and then us withdrawing the offer is when we've had a change in coordinators. Wilkins to Ole Miss on offense and Davis to Florida and  Westin(?sp) on defense to Kentucky are the only three I recall, and those were announced a couple of months ahead of time. If Fuqua's injury doesn't demand a greyshirt, he should be able to sign next month no matter who we have to pass on. Integrity matters.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Gus has frowned on this sort of thing. The only times I recall Auburn offering , a kid committing and then us withdrawing the offer is when we've had a change in coordinators. Wilkins to Ole Miss on offense and Davis to Florida and  Westin(?sp) on defense to Kentucky are the only three I recall, and those were announced a couple of months ahead of time. If Fuqua's injury doesn't demand a greyshirt, he should be able to sign next month no matter who we have to pass on. Integrity matters.

His comments just seem to indicate there’s been discussions with him but he expects to sign In February.  All that probably should have been broken down exactly to him because he seemed a little ummm unsure of exactly what was going on.  You just hate to see a guy with SEC talent end up at Memphis or southern miss because of the recruiting game.

I would much rather have Kelvin Joseph would could play CB or S, or move Matthew Hill to S. 

Auburn has to upgrade at every opportunity possible to keep up with our two biggest rivals. 

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

I would much rather have Kelvin Joseph would could play CB or S, or move Matthew Hill to S. 

Auburn has to upgrade at every opportunity possible to keep up with our two biggest rivals. 

It’s called character and integrity.  If that’s gone in amateur sports then not sure how long I can continue to support this “business”.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just now, CameronCrazy said:

We have offered Fuqua a scholarship. He accepted the offer and committed to Auburn. He comes first. If we have room for Fuqua plus some 5* safety, fine. If we have only one slot, then it should go to Fuqua and the 5* goes elsewhere. If we don't do that, it's not the Auburn I have loved for these many years.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mikey said:

We have offered Fuqua a scholarship. He accepted the offer and committed to Auburn. He comes first. If we have room for Fuqua plus some 5* safety, fine. If we have only one slot, then it should go to Fuqua and the 5* goes elsewhere. If we don't do that, it's not the Auburn I have loved for these many years.

Boom!  Amen.  

Maybe I’m in a midlife crisis or something but winning isn’t the top priority. Hell if that’s the case then why stayed married if someone prettier comes along.  Or someone with more money or a better job.  

• Like 1

I don't know that I would have a problem with grey shirting him, but I definitely don't want to just dump him after his loyalty in not even looking around at other schools. That's not something to take for granted.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Then we’ll have to agree to disagree. One of the most quoted phrases on this board is that “recruiting is a fluid situation”. Yes, we offered him a scholarship. Maybe we thought he was going to be better than he turned out to be. Maybe his senior season was a disappointment to the coaches. Maybe we had no idea that Kelvin Joseph or Olijah Griffin would be seriously considering AU at the time that we offered him a scholarship.. Regardless, situations change. We should have no more loyalty to these recruits than they have to us.

How many recruits have given their silent or public commitments to Auburn only to see them flip to another school? Are they bad people? Do they deserved to be shamed forever? No, this is a business. Most fans will never know these kids on a personal level. We cheer for them because they wear orange & blue. We don’t keep a bad coach because we signed a contract with him & we believe in loyalty. We play football in the SEC to win. Likewise, we are looking to sign the recruits that give us the best opportunity to win. IMO we do not owe these kids any type of loyalty until they physically sign on the dotted line and we accept that signature. 

16 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Boom!  Amen.  

Maybe I’m in a midlife crisis or something but winning isn’t the top priority. Hell if that’s the case then why stayed married if someone prettier comes along.  Or someone with more money or a better job.  

If we’re comparing recruiting to marriage, then I don’t consider Auburn “married” to a recruit until they both sign on the dotted line. Consider recruiting as dating & a commitment as an engagement. It doesn’t count until they both say “I do”.