2018 3* S Kolbi Fuqua AU enrollee (4/5/19 Update: Enters Transfer Portal)

ellitor

5 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

We should have no more loyalty to these recruits than they have to us.

Well, this kid hasn't even been visiting other programs for a backup scenario. I'd say that's pretty loyal, wouldn't you?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would be very disappointed if we did that to him last second.  Out of respect the kid has been loyal to us for months, and the least we could do is give him a heads up to look at other schools.  Even if we ask him for a greyshirt, that would be low, even though that is the business.  

Well AU's doctors still have to evaluate his injury. That doesn't happen over night. It's not a doing anything to him last minute thing. He seems sold on AU regardless.  Lastly the gray shirt thing ain't low. AU was clear with him about that when his shoulder was 1st injured.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

How many recruits have given their silent or public commitments to Auburn only to see them flip to another school?

You haven't even bothered to look into or think about this, have you? We offered Fuqua a scholarship back in April. He accepted the offer. Auburn and Fuqua "shook hands" in April and agreed to the arrangement. He has not visited other schools or shopped around. He's been faithful to his commitment. It doesn't matter who else is available, Fuqua has held up his end of the bargain and if Auburn does less I'l be bitterly disappointed in my Alma mater.

Edited by Mikey

49 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I to would hate to string him along and drop him regardless of who takes the spot.

Not dropping him.

49 minutes ago, corchjay said:

If we can’t assure him a gray shirt at a minimum then we should tell him.

We already have assured him as he said himself in one of the interviews where gray shirt came up a month or so ago.

41 minutes ago, corchjay said:

His comments just seem to indicate there’s been discussions with him but he expects to sign In February.  All that probably should have been broken down exactly to him because he seemed a little ummm unsure of exactly what was going on.  You just hate to see a guy with SEC talent end up at Memphis or southern miss because of the recruiting game.

Well he can't be sure til the AU doctor's are sure. They just evaluated his shoulder within the past 48 hours. Sheesh people! Give it some time.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well AU's doctors still have to evaluate his injury. That doesn't happen over night. It's not a doing anything to him last minute thing. He seems sold on AU regardless. Lastly the gray shirt thing ain't low. AU was clear with him about that when his shoulder was 1st injured.

@CameronCrazy isn't talking about the shoulder situation, he hasn't even mentioned that and apparently doesn't know enough about it to understand.. He's talking about not honoring Fuqua's commitment because higher rated recruits seem interested and we could use an extra slot. That would be extremely low and I do not believe Auburn will do that.

One purpose of this visit was to evaluate his shoulder. Fuqua said it was fine. If we failed to communicate well, somebody needs to be on the road to Cordova right now with x-rays or whatever.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Well he can't be sure til the AU doctor's are sure. They just evaluated his shoulder within the past 48 hours. Sheesh people! Give it some time.

You know medical x-rays and MRIs can be sent digitally now, right?  He doesn’t have to show up in Auburn for a dr to look at his shoulder.  They look at the digital copies and say yep it’s fricked up, needs surgery, need this kind of rehab.  Takes all of about 15 minutes.  

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

@CameronCrazy isn't talking about the shoulder situation. He's talking about not honoring Fuqua's commitment because higher rated recruits seem interested and we could use an extra slot. That would be extremely low and I do not believe Auburn will do that.

I wasn't replying to CC. I don't believe in that win at all cost- screw kids over if you need to, implied in his posts. I was only replying to you & Jay. I think y'all are worrying over nothing.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

One purpose of this visit was to evaluate his shoulder. Fuqua said it was fine. If we failed to communicate well, somebody needs to be on the road to Cordova right now with x-rays or whatever.

A patient's definition of "fine" and doctor's definition are 2 different things. I could be wrong but I don't think he specifically said the "doctors say it's fine". That carries more weight than just him saying it's fine.Like I said in my other post just give it time. No need to stress out right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, corchjay said:

You know medical x-rays and MRIs can be sent digitally now, right?  He doesn’t have to show up in Auburn for a dr to look at his shoulder.  They look at the digital copies and say yep it’s fricked up, needs surgery, need this kind of rehab.  Takes all of about 15 minutes.  

No I don't know that. All I know is he said last month the AU doctors would look at & evaluate him while on his OV which was this past weekend. And I've rarely seen a medical decision take 15 minutes.

Edited by ellitor

I may be in the minority here, and I’m fine with that. I’m speaking about a much bigger issue than Kolbi Fuqua. I don’t believe in screwing kids over. I believe our coaches should be honest with every kid. Given the situation, if there is a kid that is higher rated on our board (more than likely much higher rated) that we have an opportunity to sign on signing day, then we’re going to take his signature. And that may mean that you will have to “grey-shirt”. There are rules in place for that, and there is nothing wrong with using those rules to our advantage. 

Say we sign this kid and use a scholarship on him. Who’s to say that he won’t be another Byron Cowart or Roc Thomas and transfer after a few years because he isn’t getting enough playing time? Can Auburn’s loyalty keep him from doing that? No! We just had three prospects forgo their senior season to go to the NFL draft. Were they being loyal to Auburn when they made that decision or looking out for themselves? Why is it so hard to see that Auburn has to do the same? Is Auburn’s loyalty going to keep a kid from doing drugs or getting pulled over for drunk driving? No! Sometimes these kids are going to look out for themselves instead of what is best for the team. I really do wish that these kids and Auburn could be loyal to one another 100% of the time, but sometimes life is not fair. Sometimes coaches have to make hard decisions. We pay them millions of dollars to do so. 

Going back to my previous point, how many of you defending this idea of loyalty were defending Gene Chizik or Tommy Tuberville or Terry Bowden when they were fired? Were you guys preaching the same idea of loyalty because Auburn had signed a contract with these men that they should honor until the end? Should Auburn have been more concerned with these men and their families than winning football games? 

Heres the last thing that I’ll say about this and then I’m done. I don’t say this to be rude or condescending. I say this to make a point. We are not playing for boyscout badges. We play football at Auburn University to win National Championships. War Eagle!

• Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I may be in the minority here, and I’m fine with that. I’m speaking about a much bigger issue than Kolbi Fuqua. I don’t believe in screwing kids over. I believe our coaches should be honest with every kid. Given the situation, if there is a kid that is higher rated on our board (more than likely much higher rated) that we have an opportunity to sign on signing day, then we’re going to take his signature. And that may mean that you will have to “grey-shirt”. There are rules in place for that, and there is nothing wrong with using those rules to our advantage. 

Say we sign this kid and use a scholarship on him. Who’s to say that he won’t be another Byron Cowart or Roc Thomas and transfer after a few years because he isn’t getting enough playing time? Can Auburn’s loyalty keep him from doing that? No! We just had three prospects forgo their senior season to go to the NFL draft. Were they being loyal to Auburn when they made that decision or looking out for themselves? Why is it so hard to see that Auburn has to do the same? Is Auburn’s loyalty going to keep a kid from doing drugs or getting pulled over for drunk driving? No! Sometimes these kids are going to look out for themselves instead of what is best for the team. I really do wish that these kids and Auburn could be loyal to one another 100% of the time, but sometimes life is not fair. Sometimes coaches have to make hard decisions. We pay them millions of dollars to do so. 

Going back to my previous point, how many of you defending this idea of loyalty were defending Gene Chizik or Tommy Tuberville or Terry Bowden when they were fired? Were you guys preaching the same idea of loyalty because Auburn had signed a contract with these men that they should honor until the end? Should Auburn have been more concerned with these men and their families than winning football games? 

Heres the last thing that I’ll say about this and then I’m done. I don’t say this to be rude or condescending. I say this to make a point. We are not playing for boyscout badges. We play football at Auburn University to win National Championships. War Eagle!

Well, for starters, Cowart and Thomas were 5 star recruits who didn't pan out as expected. Fuqua is a 3 star prospect who may not get a spot in this class because of injury, not because we have players higher than him in contention.

And yes, I was among those who were defending Tubs and Bowden to the end, despite retrospect telling me I shouldn't have. I didn't fight for Chizik, though, because the players weren't playing very hard for him.

Finally, no, we are not playing for boy scout badges, but integrity means something to me, and it does to a great deal of Auburn people. That means you don't always do what is, on the surface, the "best" thing for the team, because there is a lot more that plays into it than what you or I or any of the fans can really grasp (such as team chemistry and leadership). You can play to win national championships without becoming the worst possible version of yourself in the process. At the end of the day, I'd rather be able to hold my head high knowing that my university is doing things the right way than to adopt the win-at-all-costs attitude that you have been advocating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Gus has frowned on this sort of thing. The only times I recall Auburn offering , a kid committing and then us withdrawing the offer is when we've had a change in coordinators. Wilkins to Ole Miss on offense and Davis to Florida and  Westin(?sp) on defense to Kentucky are the only three I recall, and those were announced a couple of months ahead of time. If Fuqua's injury doesn't demand a greyshirt, he should be able to sign next month no matter who we have to pass on. Integrity matters.

Think I remember Elijah Sullivan being asked to look elsewhere as late as NSD 2015. It’s an outlier but it does happen here and there, even at Auburn. 

12 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Think I remember Elijah Sullivan being asked to look elsewhere as late as NSD 2015. It’s an outlier but it does happen here and there, even at Auburn. 

New staff. Same as Westry.

55 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, for starters, Cowart and Thomas were 5 star recruits who didn't pan out as expected. Fuqua is a 3 star prospect who may not get a spot in this class because of injury, not because we have players higher than him in contention.

And yes, I was among those who were defending Tubs and Bowden to the end, despite retrospect telling me I shouldn't have. I didn't fight for Chizik, though, because the players weren't playing very hard for him.

Finally, no, we are not playing for boy scout badges, but integrity means something to me, and it does to a great deal of Auburn people. That means you don't always do what is, on the surface, the "best" thing for the team, because there is a lot more that plays into it than what you or I or any of the fans can really grasp (such as team chemistry and leadership). You can play to win national championships without becoming the worst possible version of yourself in the process. At the end of the day, I'd rather be able to hold my head high knowing that my university is doing things the right way than to adopt the win-at-all-costs attitude that you have been advocating.

Ignore the players that I mentioned (Cowart & Thomas) and please see the point. If Fuqua is given a scholarship and then leaves after 1 year for more playing time somewhere else, then what was our loyalty worth? The players are allowed to go somewhere to get on the field quicker. Why isn’t Auburn allowed in people’s minds to pick a kid that will be able to make an impact quicker?

And no, I’m not advocating a win-at-all-costs mentality. I do NOT advocate any cheating or anything illegal. I’m also not advocating that we lie to these players and leave them high-and-dry. We tell them what the situation is up front. Not all football players are created equal. Some players are more desired than others. This isn’t little league where everyone gets a trophy and is treated the same.

What I’m advocating is a relentless, competitive, never satisfied mentality in everything that we do. I appreciate and respect your desire for integrity. But on the football field, a moral victory does not equal a football victory. 

6 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

We should have no more loyalty to these recruits than they have to us.

(Sorry for the late response) I think you just argued our point there.  He kid has been loyal to us since day one, not even looking at other schools.  So if you are saying we should be as loyal to him as he is us, then we sign him.

Regarding the other recruits, just because someone treats us one way doesn’t mean we need to, in turn, treat everyone else the same way.  We can still take the higher road. 

But I will be satisfied if he at least gets a greyshirt. 

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 1

@CameronCrazy, there are indeed, if not actually "rules" then a system is in place. It works like this: If a coaching staff isn't sure they want a player, they give him a  non comittable offer. He can't commit and everybody knows where they stand. We look elsewhere, he looks elsewhere too. We wanted Fuqua, there was no question. We gave him a comittable offer and he committed. Deal done on both parts. Asking him to greyshirt now for reasons other than injury is similar to asking a girl to the prom, she agrees and gets ready, and then you drop her because a hotter chick said "yes".  Cruel, unethical thing to do, right?

I don't care who does differently, I don't care how many kids commit and then flip, that's beyond Auburn's control. Honoring your word is within Auburn's control and I expect Auburn to be an institution of integrity. That means honoring our word.

• Like 3

Either way, we need a safety that can immediately come in and be able to help. A grey shirt doesn't do that. If he is grey shirted, we need to get another that can come in and compete from day 1

• Thanks 2

Either way, I think Fuqua is an excellent player. If he is willing to grayshirt at Auburn, that speaks for our program. 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Either way, we need a safety that can immediately come in and be able to help. A grey shirt doesn't do that.

That's 100% true. However, at this point we don't know if Fuqua will be ready to help or not. If he is medically ready, we've got our safety. If he's not medically ready, Fuqua greyshirts and we have an open slot to find another safety. I think everybody is happy with that.

The big blowup happened because the idea was floated to withdraw Fuqua's offer because higher rated prospects are now interested, which is a whole different discussion.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 2

If our coaches are honest w/ him about his chances of contributing, then the choice becomes Fuqua’s...and its any easy one...just make sure he has enough time to make other arrangements if needed.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's 100% true. However, at this point we don't know if Fuqua will be ready to help or not. If he is medically ready, we've got our safety. If he's not medically ready, Fuqua greyshirts and we have an open slot to find another safety. I think everybody is happy with that.

The big blowup happened because the idea was floated to withdraw Fuqua's offer because higher rated prospects are now interested, which is a whole different discussion.

Mikey hit the nail on the head if he is healthy he gets his scholly and we get the safety we wanted. If he is not healthy at this time he will still get a  scholly but in January on next years class and we might be able to pickup another player. He seems to think he is healthy once the doctors the team has asked finish reviewing his injury we will have an answer.  Either way we will take care of this young man.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

if Auburn does less I'l be bitterly disappointed in my Alma mater

Come on Mikey, I know you don't like to say anything negative about coaches, but it will be the coaches doing this and not Auburn. Lets not blame the entire University.

6 hours ago, kd4au said:

Come on Mikey, I know you don't like to say anything negative about coaches, but it will be the coaches doing this and not Auburn. Lets not blame the entire University.

My career job had a requirement to not do anything that would embarrass or bring discredit to the agency. The same applies to the coaches. They are a public face of Auburn University and must conduct themselves accordingly.

Wow, heated discussion in here. Recruiting can be a harsh world. From the one interview I think it's very clear everyone is on the same page but Fuqua is remaining hopeful/confident.

All will work out for the best for both parties. Maybe I'm not recalling correctly but I'm pretty sure we're loaded at WR and Safety this class. So I don't think we're at much risk. As for Fuqua, I believe he will be fine as well. If he greyshirts it's probably injury related. Otherwise I see him signing.

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Maybe I'm not recalling correctly but I'm pretty sure we're loaded at WR and Safety this class. 

WR, yes. Safety, no.  We have two really good ones from this class on campus now, but that still only gives us 2/3 true safeties on the team. Dinson and Thomas are nickle backs, and Peters is kind of a tweener.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

WR, yes. Safety, no.  We have two really good ones from this class on campus now, but that still only gives us 2/3 true safeties on the team. Dinson and Thomas are nickle backs, and Peters is kind of a tweener.

And Marsh is a defensive athlete who could land anywhere from a nickel to having the frame to grow into a DE.

• Like 1