2018 3* S Kolbi Fuqua AU enrollee (4/5/19 Update: Enters Transfer Portal)

ellitor

Marsh is a tackling machine does he have the coverage skills to play safety? I would think so as some say he could play nickel. He would be a big safety who could bring the pain.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Marsh is a tackling machine does he have the coverage skills to play safety? I would think so as some say he could play nickel. He would be a big safety who could bring the pain.

Trying to steal a linebacker are you? You're going on REPORT!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

He reminds me of Herring...a lot.  I didn't think Herring was a very good safety, but excelled when he moved to LB.  

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He reminds me of Herring...a lot.  I didn't think Herring was a very good safety, but excelled when he moved to LB.  

Now you're talkin'!

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This was my thought when we first started talking about him, too. 

I wasn't very impressed with coverage skills of our linebackers this year.  Maybe this guy could help especially in passing situations

1 hour ago, autan said:

I wasn't very impressed with coverage skills of our linebackers this year.  Maybe this guy could help especially in passing situations

Not quite sure how he would help the LBs

22 hours ago, bigbird said:

Not quite sure how he would help the LBs

I thought a Star helped with LBs and Safetys but you know a lot more than me Bird:bow:

• 1 year later...

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/04/auburn-reserve-wide-receiver-enters-ncaa-transfer-portal.html

Auburn wideout Colby Fuqua (sp ?) enters transfer portal! 

Auburn reserve wide receiver enters NCAA transfer portal

Updated 8:48 AM; Today 8:31 AM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team following their scrimmage Saturday March 30 in Auburn, Ala.

25shares

By Matt Zenitz | mzenitz@al.com

One of Auburn’s reserve wide receivers has entered the NCAA transfer portal.

Redshirt freshman Kolbi Fuqua went into the transfer portal Friday morning, according to a source.

The Jasper, Alabama native was a three-star member of the Tigers’ 2018 recruiting class.

Foqua was a first-team all-state defensive back as a senior at Cordova High as a senior in 2017 and a first-team all-state wide receiver as a junior.

@ellitor you may want to start a thread, but there isn’t much about it yet!

Edited by toddc

• ellitor changed the title to 2018 3* S Kolbi Fuqua AU enrollee (4/5/19 Update: Enters Transfer Portal)
On 4/5/2019 at 4:14 PM, bigbird said:

We need another Smoke/Sherwood type signing for this class at safety.

a4e probably knows some jucos lying around we could sign.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GTNupe11 said:

So....he enters the transfer pool but is out there at A-Day playing? <_<

I think entering the portal just means they can have contact with other schools. Gus said the day after he entered, he was still practicing with the team. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, beaumak said:

thats kind of weird though. not sure how i would feel about that if i was a teammate. 

Fans take this stuff way more personally than the players do. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Fans take this stuff way more personally than the players do. 

Players talk and understand what the other players are doing more so then we do they realize that sometimes things aren't working out where they are and there might be a better path someplace else. The players love the game of football but also understand it is also a business. The school and the coach's do what is best for the school and the coach's why shouldn't the players do the same. 

That said moving to another team doesn't always work out as we have seen at Auburn sometimes the players that transfer in be it from 4 year or Juco workout and other times they don't.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Players talk and understand what the other players are doing more so then we do they realize that sometimes things aren't working out where they are and there might be a better path someplace else. The players love the game of football but also understand it is also a business. The school and the coach's do what is best for the school and the coach's why shouldn't the players do the same. 

That said moving to another team doesn't always work out as we have seen at Auburn sometimes the players that transfer in be it from 4 year or Juco workout and other times they don't.

Very well said.

I'll add that there might be guys on the roster who haven't discussed leaving but who have bad attitudes or don't work as hard as Fuqua or whatever and who the players have a lot less respect for. 

Also, he's almost certainly leaving with the staff's blessing. They might have even initiated it. 

I think this is a case where he might not even leave. He's thinking about it, and putting his name in the portal allows him to find out the type of response he'll receive. It's interesting because when the portal first started, coaches/schools were immediately removing guys from scholarship when they entered the portal. So guys were waiting to enter until after the semester started (to ensure that they could take classes on scholarship).

This seems like a mix of compassionate response and continued recruiting. If we still want him, you let him put his name out there after the semester starts and use that time to recruit the kid back into the fold. If he gets a tepid response, he probably falls back into the group. Makes him more likely to stay for the long haul, I'm guessing. It's an interesting approach. Who knows if it's a good idea or not? All of this is uncharted water.

• Like 3