Scrimmage 03/25/2017

aufan57

10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It was about a 15 yard throw and about a 10 yard run where he made a guy miss and pushed through a tackle into the EZ. JF3 looked smooth catching the ball. Think he also had 1-2 screens that he picked up first downs. 

He was open almost all day. He creates separation in the slot and is good with his hands. He also caught one for almost 40 yards between the hashes over DeShaun Davis. Super throw by Stidham, great catch by Hastings. 

Appreciate info like this, thank you sir

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/25/2017 at 1:25 PM, ClaytonAU said:

Buddy of mine is going to be a freshman next fall and he's working as a trainer. Said that Stidham looked really good, Pettway didn't get a lot of reps, and Malik could be our #2 

Malik was very very very good. Should be the #2 guy.  

On 3/25/2017 at 7:32 PM, DAG said:

This guy chip Lindsey is probably thinking "what the hell has this coaching staff been doing the last couple of years?" with all the talent at his disposal LOL. I mean we are talking about Will Hastings and JF3 showing out.

All the WR's were awful. Lots of work to be done at that position. No way to sugar coat this one. 

Everything else seems to be in good shape. Need some young guys to step up and help the depth on the D.  The O needs to work on pass protection. 

And Stidham is the starter at QB. White will be the #2. This race is a done deal. 

19 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hope he's better as in passing the ball.

He is. Already a better passer than Marshal. Still has work to do. AU looks to be in very very good shape at QB. Now and the future. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

All the WR's were awful. Lots of work to be done at that position. No way to sugar coat this one. 

Everything else seems to be in good shape. Need some young guys to step up and help the depth on the D.  The O needs to work on pass protection. 

And Stidham is the starter at QB. White will be the #2. This race is a done deal. 

The WRs were that bad...To be fair, they probably are just understanding what a forward pass looks like.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

The WRs were that bad...To be fair, they probably are just understanding what a forward pass looks like.

I didn't think they were that bad. I thought Hastings had a very good day. Slayton made 2-3 great catches. JF3 was good for my firs time seeing him at WR. No one else really stood out. They also didn't get targeted too much. Part of that seemed to be by play design; part of it was lack of creating separation from the defense. Wanted to see more out of NCM, but he just didn't do much from what I remember.

Just now, boomstick said:

I didn't think they were that bad. I thought Hastings had a very good day. Slayton made 2-3 great catches. JF3 was good for my firs time seeing him at WR. No one else really stood out. They also didn't get targeted too much. Part of that seemed to be by play design; part of it was lack of creating separation from the defense. Wanted to see more out of NCM, but he just didn't do much from what I remember.

Ok this is much better to hear. I am really hoping NCM makes a better transition this year to the college game. I know the injury bug hurt him. What about Jason Smith?

Just now, DAG said:

Ok this is much better to hear. I am really hoping NCM makes a better transition this year to the college game. I know the injury bug hurt him. What about Jason Smith?

Nothing notable. If he had a catch, I don't remember it. Marquis McClain looked like an absolute monster. Hope it translated to the field. Sal Cannella is a tall dude. He was split wide on several plays. I think we have some playmakers at WR. Maybe we will see more from them at A-Day.

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

Nothing notable. If he had a catch, I don't remember it. Marquis McClain looked like an absolute monster. Hope it translated to the field. Sal Cannella is a tall dude. He was split wide on several plays. I think we have some playmakers at WR. Maybe we will see more from them at A-Day.

Forgot all about Marquis! And yes, Cannella really needs to be utilized, especially in the RZ. I am sure the coaches have it covered. One more question, if you don't mind me asking...How does CCL offense look? Principle wise? 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Very high on the sarcasm scale, and also very true. Well done sir.

I feel much better about Hastings getting snaps with CCL calling the shots that will utilize him properly with our new passing game than with the previous guys calling the O.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

What positions (if any) do we have good enough depth at? I'd like to think that depth-wise, we won't have any years like 2009 again. Seriously, I'm amazed we were able to beat Northwestern that year given that our LBs had to play that entire game.

Everything else seems to be in good shape. Need some young guys to step up and help the depth on the D.  The O needs to work on pass protection

Please forgive my ignorance (though, I've found, my unabashed willingness to display it often prompts education).

I heard/read somewhere that RPOs were often most successfully sold with at least the "look" of a run-blocking scheme, to potentially draw some guy in the backfield out of position? Weren't some coaches, few years back, complaining about how well we sold a few?

2 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Please forgive my ignorance (though, I've found, my unabashed willingness to display it often prompts education).

I heard/read somewhere that RPOs were often most successfully sold with at least the "look" of a run-blocking scheme, to potentially draw some guy in the backfield out of position? Weren't some coaches, few years back, complaining about how well we sold a few?

You'll find a more informed response elsewhere, but I think the major complaint- accurate or not- was that we had blockers downfield. 

4 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Only about a third of our pass plays are expected to come from RPOs though.

He is. Already a better passer than Marshal. Still has work to do. AU looks to be in very very good shape at QB. Now and the future. 

Wow. Optimism. WDE, you feeling alright?

31 minutes ago, AUwent said:

What positions (if any) do we have good enough depth at? I'd like to think that depth-wise, we won't have any years like 2009 again. Seriously, I'm amazed we were able to beat Northwestern that year given that our LBs had to play that entire game.

Safety and DE's. One injury away from problems at both spots. Big problems. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Wow. Optimism. WDE, you feeling alright?

I am. I hope Gus doesn't take away anther season from me. Last two years have been down right depressing. And a couple of football guys I know are really high on Chip. That helps. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I am. I hope Gus doesn't take away anther season from me. Last two years have been down right depressing. And a couple of football guys I know are really high on Chip. That helps. 

Gus definitely appears to be giving Chip some autonomy. I know that's difficult for Gus, so if that's true, Gus must be really high on him too. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Gus definitely appears to be giving Chip some autonomy. I know that's difficult for Gus, so if that's true, Gus must be really high on him too. 

Well, we all know Gus has been high on something the last few years. 

:rimshot:

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Chip hasn't been given the full green light just yet. 

Archived