Baseball vs. Georgia - game 2

2 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

I'm pretty sure in SEC play, replay is authorized only when there are at least three cameras, and is for plays at the plate, and fair or foul balls/homeruns. I don't think a foul ball can be reviewed, but a fair ball can be reviewed if they think it is foul.

I looked up the replay provisions.   There's no mention of there being a minimum number of cameras.  Foul and fair balls can be reviewed and it would kind of be pointless to have one reviewable and the other  not reviewable.    Either way here's the replay provisions: (apologize for the horrible formatting)

Getting the Call Right with the use of video replay:
SECTION 2�
Following plays will be reviewable:
a�
Deciding if a batted ball is fair or foul� The ball must first touch the ground
or a fielder beyond the initial position of the first or third baseman�
b� Deciding if a batted ball is either a ground rule double or a home run�
c�
Any catch or no catch in the outfield or foul territory
d�
A call of “no catch” can be changed to “catch” within the infield only if it
results in a third out with any runners on base, or any time with a batter
runner only
e�
Spectator interference�
f� Deciding scoring plays at home plate inclusive of collisions (illegal and/or
malicious slides) or time plays�
The following criteria will be used by institutions and conferences using Instant
Replay during the regular season:
a�
A ruling on the field will only be changed if there is indisputable video
evidence to reverse the call� Absent that evidence, the original ruling on the
field will stand�
b� Any use of instant replay must occur before the next pitch or play
� If the
replay is called for after a game ending play, if must be called before all
umpires leave the field of play
c�
The crew chief will make the determination to use instant replay
� There is no
“coaches challenge�
” Under the provisions of Getting the Call Right, coaches
have the ability to request a conference among the umpires�
d�
The video review area must be on the field level so that umpires must not
walk through spectators to view the coverage� At least one umpire must
remain on the field�
e�
During the video review the defensive team shall maintain their position
on the field and may warm-up if desired� Offensive base runners and the
on-deck hitter shall maintain their position� Other personnel shall remain in
the dugout� Any defensive or offensive conferences will be charged as during
any other part of the game�
f� All equipment should be tested by appropriate personnel before each game�
g�
The final decision may not be argued by either coach�
h�
If the reversing of a call results in the need for decisions on the placement of
base runners, the crew chief shall use his best judgment to determine their
locations as if the call had been made correctly (with exception to placement
prescribed by rule on catch/no catch reversals)�
i�
If a call has been changed, the crew chief, upon returning to the field, will
notify both head coaches and the official scorer of the ruling�

I mentioned the cameras because an earlier game cast said that replay was not an option because they only had one camera behind the plate operating that day.

1 minute ago, wareagle13 said:

Who ever is the play by play caller for this series is awful. Multiple times a ball hit opposite field has been referred to as pulling the ball. And he continuously calls a dropped third strike as a strike em out throw em out, which should refer to a strike out and catch em stealing.

I agree they are awful, but why would you refer to a dropped third strike throw to 1st as catching them stealing?  That's actually one of the few things he has gotten right.  :lol:  

My favorite was a throw from the catcher (not sure which team it was) to first and he said, throw to 2nd... HUH?   The next pitch, the base runner stole second and he said throw to 2nd.     btw, they are georgia announcers (since its in Athens), so it shouldn't surprise anybody that they are awful.

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

I agree they are awful, but why would you refer to a dropped third strike throw to 1st as catching them stealing?  That's actually one of the few things he has gotten right.  :lol:  

My favorite was a throw from the catcher (not sure which team it was) to first and he said, throw to 2nd... HUH?   The next pitch, the base runner stole second and he said throw to 2nd.     btw, they are georgia announcers (since its in Athens), so it shouldn't surprise anybody that they are awful.

Every game i've ever watched, a strike em out, throw em out has always referred to the act of striking the batter out and then throwing down and catching a runner stealing (on a possible hit and run). I've never heard that phrase referred to for a dropped third strike and throw down to first. If i'm wrong on that i stand corrected but i've never heard it in reference to that situation.

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

He's saying a strike out and throw out at second with a guy stealing from first should be a strike em out throw em out. A strike out and throw to first should just be called a strike out, with a throw to first.

4 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

Every game i've ever watched, a strike em out, throw em out has always referred to the act of striking the batter out and then throwing down and catching a runner stealing (on a possible hit and run). I've never heard that phrase referred to for a dropped third strike and throw down to first. If i'm wrong on that i stand corrected but i've never heard it in reference to that situation.

Good point.  Apparently I was confused.  :lol:   I blame old age.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Good point.  Apparently I was confused.  :lol:   I blame old age.

No worries, i understood what i said cause i wrote it. But i can see how it was confusing.

1 minute ago, wareagle13 said:

No worries, i understood what i said cause i wrote it. But i can see how it was confusing.

HA.  on that double by georgia a minute ago, the idiot announcer said it bounces off the wall and comes back into the field of play?   HUH?  It hit on the warning track, and went off the wall.  The ball never left the field of play.  :lol:    If it had it would have been a ground rule double.   They are both pretty awful.

McGuffin (I think) at 1st and apparently they tried to pick him off and he dives back into the bag and came up in pain.  Looked like he jammed his hand on the bag.  Trainer came out and put a towel over his hand and he is out of the game.  Jeremy Johnson in to pinch run

Very disappointed. Our offense will cost us games. Besides the Florida one I feel like we haven't been that great offensively. We need Anthony and Robert to take over and start smashing the ball

Too mamy early scoring opportunities wasted. Hopefully AU can string a few hits together a few times tomorrow and get the win and series. 

I agree. Offensively we leave way too many guys on base(6 of 9 innings we had lead off on, last 3 in a row) and only scored 1 run  We have only scored 3 runs against a team that is Last in pitching, Last in fielding, and 12th in batting avg. 

We do not seem to have enough power hitters or deep gap hitters, so we have to manufacture more runs in the future...

Archived