Former AU champion swimmer paralyzed

TexasTiger

Former AU champion swimmer paralyzed in sledding accident

Tom Peavy  / Staff Writer

February 10, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT

Former AU swimming team captain, NCAA Champion and U.S. National Team member Dave Denniston was injured severly in a sledding accident on Sunday in Wyoming, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.

Denniston competed for Auburn from 1998-2001, helping the Tiger men capture the NCAA crown in 1999.

In that 1999 season Denniston won NCAA titles in the 200 breaststroke and was a member of the 200 medley relay and the 400 medley relay squads that captured NCAA crowns.

Denniston’s accident occured on Sunday near Laramie, Wyo., and he underwent surgery on Monday in Fort Collins, Co., where doctors fused the T-9, T-10, T-1 and T-12 vertebrae and cleaned bone chips from his back. Prior to the surgery doctors stated Denniston’s chances of walking again at 50-50.

According to a statement released by Denniston’s parents on Swiminfo.com, the surgery was a success but the former Tiger still had swelling and bruising on his spinal cord. Swiminfo.com also reported Auburn head coach David Marsh was flying to Colorado to be with Denniston.

Auburn’s swimming and diving team has created the Dave Denniston Fund in response to the accident where money raised through donations will go directly to the coveragae of Denniston’s medical bills for the next several years.

Information on donations can be found at www.auburntigers.com. and updates on Denniston’s condition are being posted on Swiminfo.com.

Donations can be made to:

The Dave Denniston Fun

c/o Auburn Swimming Office

P.O. Box 351

Auburn, AL 36831-0351

http://www.oanow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=OAN%2FMGArticle%2FOAN_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031780746028&path=!sports!index.html

That is a terrible accident. I feel for him and will be praying for him.

sledding accident

I think he may have been doing a different type of sledding than I have ever done.

Archived