Martin at SC is a good Basketball coach

AUIH1

He is not flashy.  He is not a media favorite.  He just coaches the hell out of his players.  Thus far, Bruce has been Calapari very, very Lite. Recruits well and is good with the media.  Bruce needs to step up his coaching game.

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

He is not flashy.  He is not a media favorite.  He just coaches the hell out of his players.  Thus far, Bruce has been Calapari very, very Lite. Recruits well and is good with the media.  Bruce needs to step up his coaching game.

wde

Bruce Pearl inherited a far worse program/situation than Frank Martin. It's my contention, Pearl should get 5 years at AUburn without question after Lebo and Barbee destroyed any semblance of a basketball program. 

2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Bruce Pearl inherited a far worse program/situation than Frank Martin. It's my contention, Pearl should get 5 years at AUburn without question after Lebo and Barbee destroyed any semblance of a basketball program. 

I am not advocating firing Bruce Pearl. He is the best coach AU could have hired.  I am not so sure though that South Carolina was in that much better shape than ours.  Lebo was actually decent.  Barbee was a Calapari charlatan.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I am not advocating firing Bruce Pearl. He is the best coach AU could have hired.  I am not so sure though that South Carolina was in that much better shape than ours.  Lebo was actually decent.  Barbee was a Calapari charlatan.

wde

I'm not sure why Lebo never got over the hump but after Barbee, I'm not sure AUburn could've competed with a good jc program. I do remember there being constant roster turn over with both Lebo and Barbee. 

it took several years but even now, Martin has a group of moderately good individuals playing well as a team.

I don't think anyone questions Bruce's ability to recruit good players to Auburn . What we are looking for is to see those guys making improvement from year to year.

Bruce still has time with fans for him to deliver the goods with better play on the floor. I think the off season is critical because most of our freshman did not seem to advance during the season. 

Meanwhile, Martin has gotten a lot out of a group of mostly unknown recruits and players that he has developed. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2017 at 4:47 PM, AUIH1 said:

wde

Barbee in no way was  anywhere near the coach or recruiter Calipari is. Let me ask you this question. How many teams have burned up Barbee's cell phone trying to get in touch with him to offer him a job? I'll give you three guesses but you won't need but one.

9 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Barbee in no way was  anywhere near the coach or recruiter Calipari is. Let me ask you this question. How many teams have burned up Barbee's cell phone trying to get in touch with him to offer him a job? I'll give you three guesses but you won't need but one.

You do understand what charlatan means do you not?  Barbee used his ties to Calipari to sell himself.  

wde

• WarTiger changed the title to Martin at SC is a good Basketball coach

Archived