Softball vs. Florida - game 2

7 minutes ago, wildling said:

I think it's the combination the upward trajectory of a softball pitch (b/c of the underhand delivery) and the backspin (vs the backpsin but downward tracjectory of a fastball in baseball). Auburn is doing a great job at swinging at balls and taking strikes though, which will make a great pitcher look Goddess-like.

The biggest part of it is that fastpitch softball hitters only have about 2 seconds to make a decision on a pitch, so first sight it looks like it's coming as a strike by the time the hitter is pulling the trigger to swing its rising above the bat level in the swing. 

I think AU needs to jump on early pitches. She seems to not throw a rise very often early in the count. 

AU is hurting with lack of hitting and lack of depth/quality at pitcher. Carlson and Martin are very good, but they aren't at the level of some of elite pitchers AU has seen. 

Some of the new faces have to get more consistent and better at the plate. Gotta be more aggressive at the plate too. 11 Ks is ridiculous for AU offense. 

Looking at pitches and consistently getting behind in the count then you will definitely see the junk. Gotta get more consistent and attack early. Not a good night at the plate for AU offense. 

Cooper drives one to center and its over the center fielders head and lands right at the base of the wall.  Cooper stands up at 2nd.  Fagan up.

3 minutes ago, tgr4lfe said:

The biggest part of it is that fastpitch softball hitters only have about 2 seconds to make a decision on a pitch, so first sight it looks like it's coming as a strike by the time the hitter is pulling the trigger to swing its rising above the bat level in the swing. 

I think AU needs to jump on early pitches. She seems to not throw a rise very often early in the count. 

AU is hurting with lack of hitting and lack of depth/quality at pitcher. Carlson and Martin are very good, but they aren't at the level of some of elite pitchers AU has seen. 

Some of the new faces have to get more consistent and better at the plate. Gotta be more aggressive at the plate too. 11 Ks is ridiculous for AU offense. 

I agree, it seems like Florida is perfectly countering the usual Auburn strategy of taking a ton of pitches in hopes of getting walks and then being good enough to make contact in 2 strike counts.

The worrying part is that Auburn has been swinging and missing so much, including against some non-riseball pitches in the strike zone.

Going to have these games in a rebuilding year. Pitching is pretty god but AU has a ways to go at the plate and in the field. No doubt Coach Myers will have them ready for the SEC tournament. 

See first pitch to Shea down middle. Crank it!!  Second pitch same thing! Crank it!  Now get the rise and she whiffs!

UGH

That was a whoopin'  I can see why UF would be ranked #1.

Well lets get at least one Monday.

Too bad about tonight's game.....Expect that we are gonna look back later in the year and really miss that game that got away yesterday. 

Rather have a stretch like this now than in May. Keep working, ladies. WDE! 

I'm pretty sure that after one inning our coaches realized that the best pitch a batter was going to see tonight was the first pitch. However, telling your players something like that and having them execute accordingly are two different things. The young 'uns didn't attack the pitcher, they let the pitcher attack them. Cooper, Wallace and Fagan did better as the game went on but the younger kids never adjusted.

2 hours ago, wareagle13 said:

I'm not fully aware of hitting mechanics in softball, but what is it about the rise ball that's so deceptive to hitters and is causing so many swings and misses?

It's really not a mechanics issues.  It is a pitch recognition issue.  Her release was very similar for her rise, screw, and low rise (what they were calling it...but really looked more like a 4 seam fastball).  Hence, the girls were just struggling to have enough time (w/her throwing 70mph) to adjust quick enough, without just guessing.  On a rise ball pitcher you try to think hit the top half of the ball (much like in baseball trying to hit bottom half on a sink/slider/split type).  If you watched her throw, there was also very little difference in every pitch in terms of her approach and gripping....to possibly tip them off.  She threw well and had us guessing, so it was a bad combination.  All you can do is try to learn from it for next time.  

Listened to a little softball discussion yesterday evening and seems that AU's reputation took a bit of a beating in the second UF game.....all those strike-outs and just not looking competitive. How quickly folks forget the first game but the sense is that there is big drop off in pitching after Carlson. Win or lose today....we need to look more competitive. JMO

I'm afraid our hitting from top to bottom in lineup got exposed a little this weekend in baseball and softball.  Hope I'm wrong.  Doubt many teams can replicate floridas pitching though so maybe that gives time to work on things.

we did put runs on the board (and base runners) in the first game that other teams haven't so I'll give be the team credit for that.

Archived