Keegan Thompson (updated 4/6/17: Will start vs aTm)

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

My preference would actually be to use Klobo tonight and save Camacho for the weekend.  But I'm guessing that all things created equal, BT may try to run a "Johnny All-Staff" kind of game on Sunday, especially if we can save the pen in games 1 & 2.

Yea your probably right about that. 

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Of Course - they do^-^

Mostly just a joke....but also hoping it is not treated like a typical mid week game,,,,but perhaps it is...errors and passed balls....not sharp. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mostly just a joke....but also hoping it is not treated like a typical mid week game,,,,but perhaps it is...errors and passed balls....not sharp. 

Agree 64   

5 hours ago, au302 said:

Wouldn't surprise me either but he's not the best option imo. If we start Camacho tonight then he can probably go on Sunday with the rest, but I think we see Mitchell or Lipscomb depending how much he's used Friday and Saturday. Klobisits could be a great option but he's been up and down, but since we're almost desperate I wouldn't be upset if BT goes with him

If Butch is confident in his recovery I can see him putting Andrew Mitchell on the mound for 4 or 5 innings as a starter.

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If Butch is confident in his recovery I can see him putting Andrew Mitchell on the mound for 4 or 5 innings as a starter.

are you on site  tonight ellitor?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Mitchell looked good tonight...two innings....should be ready for whatever is needed...JMO.

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mitchell looked good tonight...two innings....should be ready for whatever is needed...JMO.

I agree 64. I think he could possibly give us 4-6 solid innings on Sunday if needed. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing him on the mound whatsoever 

Keegan questionable for South Carolina series

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | With Keegan Thompson nursing a sore shoulder, No. 17 Auburn will shake up its starting rotation this weekend against No. 6 South Carolina.

Casey Mize and Davis Daniel will move up a day in the rotation and Sunday’s starter is listed as TBA.

Auburn coach Butch Thompson, however, is not ruling out Keegan Thompson for Sunday.

“We've thrown (Keegan), we feel good -- all the information I get from our staff and doctors,” Butch Thompson said. “We'll be day-to-day … we’ll take every precaution knowing that this is a marathon and not a sprint. I think Keegan will let us know, let me know as a coach when he wants the baseball.”

T5ve8dydomfnrmgyn9wj
Thompson has started for six consecutive Fridays this season.
Wade Rackley/AuburnSports.com

Keegan Thompson underwent Tommy John surgery following the 2015 season and sat out last year

“I think it's kind of common -- not even saying to Keegan -- I'm saying it's common for shoulder soreness for a guy coming off of this surgery,” Butch Thompson said. “I think if you look for the protocol for rehab, 90 percent of rehab is associated with the shoulder region, not where it was repaired on the ligament in the elbow.”

After throwing four shutout innings against Georgia last Friday, Keegan experienced tightness in his shoulder when he came out to warmup for the fifth and was sent to the dugout.

On the season, Keegan is 4-0 with a 0.70 ERA, 26 strikeouts and seven walks in 38.2 innings. He’s averaged 81.8 pitches for start.

Mize, who is moving from Saturday to Friday, is 3-1 on the season with a 0.98 ERA. He has 51 strikeouts and just six walks.

“(Keegan) is good. He’s really optimistic. He’s going to be fine,” Mize said.

First pitch for Friday’s game at Plainsman Park is scheduled 6 p.m. CT on the SECN+. Saturday’s game will be at 5 p.m. on ESPNU and Sunday’s at 1 p.m. on SECN+.

Per the interview above Butch is not ruling out Keegan starting Sunday.

"day to day"....must be a HC term....sounded like Gus talking about SW.

But also sounded like good news.

Thompson on verge of returning to rotation

AUBURN, Ala. – Keegan Thompson, Auburn’s ace right-hander, is likely to return to the rotation against Texas A&M in the coming weekend, Auburn baseball coach Butch Thompson said Tuesday night.

“I feel good about it,” Butch Thompson said. “Hopefully we can make that announcement on Thursday. It would be my expectation to have him back. We’ll throw one more time, one more day to make sure we are good to go.”

Thompson, 4-0 with an 0.70 ERA, did not pitch in last weekend’s home series against South Carolina. He left the previous Friday’s game at Georgia after four innings with tightness in his shoulder.

The No. 7 Tigers open a three-game series at Texas A&M on Friday.

Auburn’s ace returns for key road series

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | Auburn’s ace will be back on the mound this weekend.

Junior right-hander Keegan Thompson, who sat out last weekend’s series against South Carolina due to shoulder tendonitis, will be back in the starting rotation for the 7th-ranked Tigers visit to Texas A&M.

Thompson is scheduled to start Saturday’s game.

“I was thinking more Sunday … but (Wednesday) went so good — it was a heavy pen,” Auburn coach Butch Thompson said. “Once we dig into it and make sure everything is good, I’m trying to buy as much time as we possibly can. He’s chomping at the bit and ready to get back out there.”

T5ve8dydomfnrmgyn9wj
Thompson will go for his 17th career win on Saturday.
Wade Rackley/AuburnSports.com

Thompson is 4-0 on the season with a 0.70 ERA. He has 26 strikeouts and seven walks in 38.2 innings.

Sophomore right-hander Casey Mize will start Friday night’s game. In his first-ever Friday night start last weekend he threw his first-career complete game and tied a career-high with 12 strikeouts in a 5-4 win over the Gamecocks.

Mize is 4-1 on the season with a 1.58 ERA. He has an SEC-high 63 strikeouts and seven walks in 45.2 innings. Freshman right-hander Davis Daniel will start Sunday. He’s 2-1 on the season with a 4.83 ERA.

“I feel like I’ve got two Friday night guys and then I’ve got Davis Daniel, who I believe in but is a little bit younger. At the same time, he walked out to the fifth inning with a no-hitter. He was overshadowed by Clarke Schmidt,” Thompson said.

Senior Bo Decker has been cleared to play in the outfield this weekend. He’s missed the last 21 games since injuring his ankle against Lipscomb March 3. He's hitting .321 with two doubles in nine games.

“That was a pretty significant ankle rolling that he had there at first base,” Thompson said. “He’s back and we thought he was one of our best outfielders and one of or best team leaders. It’s a coaches’ decision now if Bo comes back into play and what that looks like and when that happens.”

Auburn, 23-8 overall and 7-2 in the SEC, will face a Texas A&M squad that is 20-10 and 3-6 in the conference. The Aggies are coming off a series win at LSU.

Game times for this weekend will be 6:30 p.m. CT Friday, 3 p.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday. Friday and Sunday’s games will be available on SECN+ and WatchESPN. Saturday’s game will not be televised.

“I think this is the healthiest our club has been in a while,” Thompson said. “I think we do a good job of next man up and we’ve developed our whole team.”

Archived