Softball vs. Florida - game 3 (Merged)

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just my view but Fagan grossly over reacted . Once the coach realized what happened, he tried to ignore her and go on down the line but she pushed her way into the crowd the second time and then appeared to be screaming at him while her teammates tried to pull her away and went after him again.

I looked at the video several times and never saw him respond to her even after she pushed him. I never saw anything that justified that kind of response and look at the Auburn players going through the high five line. They sure didn't see or hear anything that disturbed them or that they considered inappropriate. 

I am betting that this is the end of that situation. 

Wait, you said you watched it several times but think Walton never responded to her? He turned around immediately and they had words.

I think both are at fault, but Walton's actions are more egregious here. He never should've put himself in that situation. Fagan overreacted, but Walton clearly extends his hand into Fagan's shoulder. And given their past and her seeming contempt for all things Florida, his actions were going to draw a reaction. He's supposed to be the example setter in this situation. 

Sportscenter just showed the highlights of the game, and the only thing they showed was this incident. Steve Levy says the Florida coach shoves her. At least one national broadcast is characterizing this incident as a shove by the Florida head coach. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Wait, you said you watched it several times but think Walton never responded to her? He turned around immediately and they had words.

I think both are at fault, but Walton's actions are more egregious here. He never should've put himself in that situation. Fagan overreacted, but Walton clearly extends his hand into Fagan's shoulder. And given their past and her seeming contempt for all things Florida, his actions were going to draw a reaction. He's supposed to be the example setter in this situation. 

All true..but Fagan is not just a kid...I think she is in her 5th or 6th year of college so is probably about 24 or so and who knows what she said?.  

Nobody looks good here.  Still think nothing happens to either of them...heat of the moment thing ?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Just my view but Fagan grossly over reacted . Once the coach realized what happened, he tried to ignore her and go on down the line but she pushed her way into the crowd the second time and then appeared to be screaming at him while her teammates tried to pull her away and went after him again.

I looked at the video several times and never saw him respond to her even after she pushed him. I never saw anything that justified that kind of response and look at the Auburn players going through the high five line. They sure didn't see or hear anything that disturbed them or that they considered inappropriate. 

I am betting that this is the end of that situation. 

Yes, she was being petty, but the coach had no business touching her. PERIOD. If she didn't want to shake his hand, so be it. She is already steaming from prior history, no need to exacerbate a situation as the older adult.

Back to the game: If you have this recorded, save it. I don't think you'll ever see another game where a team lets the opponent's leadoff batter get on base in five of seven innings, walks five, commits an error, drops foul popups, scores only one run and still wins. I cannot recall such a thing in a lifetime of watching baseball/softball. We did any number of things that are usually associated with a loss but won anyway.

I'm delighted that we won but that's a helluva hard way to do it!

Fagan got a little hot headed and emotional.  Giving the bitter past and hard feelings, Fagan did not handle it rightly by the unsportsmanlike gesture.  However, the Florida coach should have never touched her.  He wasn't taking the snub lightly and "high fived" her shoulder.  He should know better.

The bottom line - both were in the wrong.

Walton is a complete ASS. Completely was a jerk to my young niece who's parents are gator alum when she tried to go up and meet him at a gator football game a few years ago. Not at all suprised by this that he did not act like the adult in this situation.

Well, while we were mostly talking about the incident with the Florida coach , there was not nearly enough credit given to Carlson for the outstanding teaching job last night. She had people on base and was in trouble most of the night but somehow managed to keep Florida off the scoreboard. 

No doubt, that was a win that Auburn truly needed . Too bad it seemed to be eclipsed by the dispute later.

A beautiful pitching performance making Veach's  home run hold up for five Florida turns at bats.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, while we were mostly talking about the incident with the Florida coach , there was not nearly enough credit given to Carlson for the outstanding teaching job last night. She had people on base and was in trouble most of the night but somehow managed to keep Florida off the scoreboard. 

No doubt, that was a win that Auburn truly needed . Too bad it seemed to be eclipsed by the dispute later.

A beautiful pitching performance making Veach's  home run hold up for five Florida turns at bats.

Since "The proof of the puddin' is in the eatin'", you're correct that she held them scoreless. I might call it a "gritty" performance, but not beautiful. Seldom do I yell at the TV over a softball game, but I yelled "Just throw a damn strike" so much that my wife came out of the next room and told me to yell something different, because "just throw a damn strike" wasn't working and she was tired of hearing it. :)

Mickey..., I think your admonition was probably working . Seemed to me that she threw far more strikes than were called strikes. There seemed to be a very tight strike zone yesterday .

Carlson did seem to try to nibble around the edges of the strike zone but mostly, I was happy to see her changeup working and that she could throw it for strikes at a critical moments.

Gritty? Yes that's an apt description I guess 

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Let's be brutally honest here. Both were at fault. Haley wasn't high fiving Florida players or coaches. Walton viewed that as disrespectful so he nudged her when she went by which was also disrespectful. Don't think Walton's nudge had anything to do with the past with the Fagan sisters. Nobody has mentioned it anywhere but kudos to Casey McCrackin for showing leadership by grabbing Haley & getting on her about her attitude.

I was wrong, I admit it, and I apologize to Haley. Sportcenter later showed a fuller clip of Haley high fiving all UF personnel but Walton. If Haley has always not high 5ed Walton after every AU-UF game in her career given the sitch with Walton & the Fagans then there is no reason for Walton to expect her to 5 him now & that makes his nudge even more uncalled for than it already was. Still give props to Casey McCrackin for grabbing Haley to keep her from going over to UF players who were jawing her after the incident.

SIAP but Full back story on the Walton/Fagans saga...

Fuller video, including the clip re-aired on the 11 p.m. edition of SportsCenter, makes it clear that Fagan had high-fived many Florida players prior to dropping her hand just before reaching Walton.

That alone would be a rather juicy story, if one seemingly without any context. But as longtime readers of Alligator Army know, there is context: Walton, Florida’s longtime softball coach, dismissed Fagan’s elder sisters Kasey and Sami from the Gators program in 2012 in the midst of what would be a shocking early exit from the 2012 NCAA Tournament for the No. 5 national seed.

The Fagans’ father blamed “an altercation on the team” for his daughters’ dismissal, with Sami Fagan taking to Facebook at the time to deny that they were released “because of racism or bullying,” attempting to bat down rumors that flew indicating they were involved in an altercation with then-Florida senior Michelle Moultrie, who is black. (Moultrie, for her part, said “Please don’t spread crazy rumors. They’re not true.”)

But players on that 2012 team — including eventual Women’s College World Series star Hannah Rogers — did wear blackface to a Halloween party as part of costumes meant to resemble Florida football players, and also used pictures of themselves in “Indian” costumes that featured “war paint” and feathers as part of their Twitter profiles, with Sami Fagan at least being involved in the latter incident. At a minimum, that demonstrated a cluelessness toward matters of race and racism that helped foster the rumors Fagan and Moultrie attempted to swat.

Kasey Fagan would end up transferring to Arkansas, while Sami Fagan, now playing professionally for the Akron Racers, finished her collegiate career at Missouri. Haley Fagan, now a redshirt senior at Auburn, transferred to the school from South Alabama prior to the 2013-14 academic year.

And Kasey Fagan and Cheyenne Coyle, two of the three players dismissed by Walton nearly five years ago, are now Auburn graduate assistants.

To say that there is bad blood that flows between several members of Auburn’s softball program and Walton would be something of an understatement. And to say that Auburn — which joyously celebrated a walk-off win over two-time defending national champion Florida in Auburn last year, despite that win only sparing the Tigers from a series sweep at the Gators’ hands — gets revved up to play Florida would also be putting things mildly.

Whether there is any more to this story beyond quotes meant to downplay the incident from both sides or aggressive favoriting of tweets in the near future will remain to be seen.

But you can guarantee that this will be brought up should Florida and Auburn meet in the SEC or NCAA Tournaments — and with either the Gators or Tigers appearing in the last three Women’s College World Series championship series, it seems very much possible that their next collision could come in postseason play.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I was wrong, I admit it, and I apologize to Haley. Sportcenter later showed a fuller clip of Haley high fiving all UF personnel but Walton. If Haley has always not high 5ed Walton after every AU-UF game in her career given the sitch with Walton & the Fagans then there is no reason for Walton to expect her to 5 him now & that makes his nudge even more uncalled for than it already was. Still give props to Casey McCrackin for grabbing Haley to keep her from going over to UF players who were jawing her after the incident.

Players need to show some class. If it is normal practice to do high five after a game then do it with every one or just don't do it.  Deliberately and openly snubbing a coach or player is poor form. Win or lose,....act like an adult JMO.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Players need to show some class. If it is normal practice to do high five after a game then do it with every one or just don't do it.  Deliberately and openly snubbing a coach or player is poor form. Win or lose,....act like an adult JMO.

Did you read the above article about him kicking her sisters off the UF team? She has every right to not 5 him especially if she never has. Kick my sisters off a team & I sure as heck would not 5 the coach. This ain't a class thing. It's a respect for family thing. #FamilyFirst

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Did you read the above article about him kicking her sisters off the UF team? She has every right to not 5 him especially if she never has. Kick my sisters off a team & I sure as heck would not 5 the coach. This ain't a class thing. It's a respect for family thing. #FamilyFirst

Gotta agree with e jmo

The truth is, I'm sure, somewhere in the middle.  My guess is that Coach will have a long chat with Haley (if he hasn't already done so.)  This is not "Greatness is a Way of Life" nor the way to represent Auburn.  We have no idea if Gator fans or team members had been "unkind" during the series and I'm not making excuses for Haley but we all have a breaking point and in her mind he touched her neck/shoulder.  (And the video clearly indicates he did.)  We don't know why he "touched/pushed" her - may be that he wasn't even looking but she perceived that he did.  (If anyone has a video from the two previous games I'd be interested in seeing how the after game "congrats" went.)  It was a sad situation that we would all have preferred didn't happen.  (IMO)  What we don't need is for it to hang around and affect the team this coming weekend or the rest of the season.  Should we meet the Gators again I would hope that Auburn will let their playing speak for them and put the incident behind them.

4 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

The truth is, I'm sure, somewhere in the middle.  My guess is that Coach will have a long chat with Haley (if he hasn't already done so.)  This is not "Greatness is a Way of Life" nor the way to represent Auburn.  We have no idea if Gator fans or team members had been "unkind" during the series and I'm not making excuses for Haley but we all have a breaking point and in her mind he touched her neck/shoulder.  (And the video clearly indicates he did.)  We don't know why he "touched/pushed" her - may be that he wasn't even looking but she perceived that he did.  (If anyone has a video from the two previous games I'd be interested in seeing how the after game "congrats" went.)  It was a sad situation that we would all have preferred didn't happen.  (IMO)  What we don't need is for it to hang around and affect the team this coming weekend or the rest of the season.  Should we meet the Gators again I would hope that Auburn will let their playing speak for them and put the incident behind them.

If she has never 5ed Walton after games there's no reason for Coach Myers to give her that chat now. She didn't do anything different last night except push back when Walton pushed her. As an Auburn man myself I'm proud of her for sticking up for herself & her sisters.

Guess we have to disagree....we don't know why the sisters were kicked off the team...may have deserved it....but going "postal" and having her team mates have to pull her away...what was she going to do....start a fight?   As noted by someone above, fortunate for her that McCracken or whoever it was grabbed her or a part of her season might be over.

She was wearing an AU uniform and represents AU....not her sisters.....nothing to be proud of IMO.

Shaking hands after the game or high fiving is about sportsmanship.  You don't choose who you high five.  I've high fived guys I'd rather throat punch due to past experiences off the field.  But, you put on your big girl panties, suck it up and don't make an ass of yourself.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If she has never 5ed Walton after games there's no reason for Coach Myers to give her that chat now. She didn't do anything different last night except push back when Walton pushed her. As an Auburn man myself I'm proud of her for sticking up for herself & her sisters.

As I said - I would be interested to know if she did the same thing after the other two games. Haley is a great player and I'm glad she is a Tiger.  And she has a right to stick up for her family - didn't say that she didn't.  I'm just saying - I don't believe this is how Coach wants our players to behave.  What we all need to do is let it go and move on.  Georgia is coming up and the team needs to be focused on them and winning out the season.

3 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

As I said - I would be interested to know if she did the same thing after the other two games. Haley is a great player and I'm glad she is a Tiger.  And she has a right to stick up for her family - didn't say that she didn't.  I'm just saying - I don't believe this is how Coach wants our players to behave.  What we all need to do is let it go and move on.  Georgia is coming up and the team needs to be focused on them and winning out the season.

Cole Cubilic said he heard from someone in attendance that she did not high five the other games either.  I agree, her going after the Florida players is not a good look, especially from a Senior.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Guess we have to disagree....we don't know why the sisters were kicked off the team...may have deserved it....but going "postal" and having her team mates have to pull her away...what was she going to do....start a fight?   As noted by someone above, fortunate for her that McCracken or whoever it was grabbed her or a part of her season might be over.

She was wearing an AU uniform and represents AU....not her sisters.....nothing to be proud of IMO.

Ah come on. She didn't fight anyone. No one knows if she would have done anything other than talk smack about the situation. All she did was not give the coach the satisfaction of a high five. 

The FLA Coach is the adult here with years of experience. If he had NOT pushed her shoulder, she would have simply not high-fived him and there would have been no other reaction from her. She evidently has bad feelings for this coach after what was done to her sisters. As E said, family in most of our lives comes first. 

She didnt do anything to hurt our school's image. Too much sensitivity here...

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Walton did not kick her sisters off the team, their teammates voted them off.  It takes some serious questionable character flaws to have the rest of your team vote to kick you off a softball team right before regionals when your team is highly ranked and you are headed for the post season.  But that's neither here nor there and has nothing to do with Auburn.

Walton should conduct himself as a professional and at minimum as an adult first and foremost.  

I don't believe Walton or the Fagan's want any more attention drawn from this really petty altercation.  The Fagan family shouldn't want anyone digging into the past between UF and the sisters.....nothing good/positive can come from that past.  Best to just let this die a slow death in the media, and let folks move on to another headline in a day or two.

20 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

I'm sure the team has moved on. We can still discuss it though. Us discussing it has no effect on the team getting ready for UGA. They aren't getting on the board reading & hanging on everything we say.

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Cole Cubilic said he heard from someone in attendance that she did not high five the other games either.  I agree, her going after the Florida players is not a good look, especially from a Senior.

Did not happen. Casey McCrackin grabbed her before preventing that from potentially happening.

Archived