Softball vs. Florida - game 3 (Merged)

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

Walton did not kick her sisters off the team, their teammates voted them off.  It takes some serious questionable character flaws to have the rest of your team vote to kick you off a softball team right before regionals when your team is highly ranked and you are headed for the post season.  But that's neither here nor there and has nothing to do with Auburn.

Walton should conduct himself as a professional and at minimum as an adult first and foremost.  

I don't believe Walton or the Fagan's want any more attention drawn from this really petty altercation.  The Fagan family shouldn't want anyone digging into the past between UF and the sisters.....nothing good/positive can come from that past.  Best to just let this die a slow death in the media, and let folks move on to another headline in a day or two.

Link for proof? Everything I have found so far says he cut them & another from the team. Nothing about a team vote mentioned anywhere.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly do not see anything wrong with what Haley did, concerning the reaction to the Florida coach that is. Regardless of how she has handled situations before this one, to me she is justified in her actions. She does not have to high five anyone she does not want to. Does that possibly make her a poor sport yes, but that is her decision. It is obvious to me that Walton purposely reached his hand out to tag Haley's shoulder when it was obvious she did not want to high five him. To me, his actions are an immature reaction to the situation. All he had to do was put his hand down and keep walking. Technically, all she did was put her hand down, walk straight, and ignore him. She wasn't enticing him. She was attempting to handle the situation in a civil way. He was the one to initiate a reaction. It was almost like he wanted to show/ teach her something. That is not his place, he is not her coach. Let her coach handle her actions. There is obviously some bad blood there that we do not know the whole story to, so I am just forming my opinion on the video. I probably would have reacted the same way. That is an individual in a position of authority and he needed to act like it. Take up your problems with the opposing coach, not the players. To me, it doesn't waver my opinion on her or the program. It was a normal reaction in the heat of the moment. How do we know he has ever treated her with respect or how do we know he deserves hers? As far as her going after the players, that is another story.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Link for proof? Everything I have found so far says he cut them & another from the team. Nothing about a team vote mentioned anywhere.

No link.  There was a team vote to remove both sisters and another player from the team due to an altercation of racial nature which involved another team player.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Did not happen. Casey McCrackin grabbed her before preventing that from potentially happening.

Yes it did, watch the film, she was yelling and acting a fool towards the UF team.  It is sad that her teammates even had to restrain her.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

No link.  There was a team vote to remove both sisters and another player from the team due to an altercation of racial nature which involved another team player.

So you were on the team when this vote took place? Albeit I spent a grand total of 5 minutes searching, I couldn't find anything that said the team took a vote, let alone any reason the UF coach dismissed the three players. In fact, a few teammates came out in the Fagan's defense, tweeting they're all good friends and the rumors of racist/bullying are false.

14 minutes ago, keesler said:

According to Alligator Army's article from back in 2012, the black player on the team publicly said that wasn't true. There may have been a team vote, but I believe it may have centered around another freshman player. 

‪http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2012/5/19/3030676/florida-softball-sami-kasey-fagan-cheyenne-coyle-altercation-2012-ncaa-tournament‬

5 minutes ago, Planner4Hire said:

So you were on the team when this vote took place? Albeit I spent a grand total of 5 minutes searching, I couldn't find anything that said the team took a vote, let alone any reason the UF coach dismissed the three players. In fact, a few teammates came out in the Fagan's defense, tweeting they're all good friends and the rumors of racist/bullying are false.

Whatever you say.  

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Did you read the above article about him kicking her sisters off the UF team? She has every right to not 5 him especially if she never has. Kick my sisters off a team & I sure as heck would not 5 the coach. This ain't a class thing. It's a respect for family thing. #FamilyFirst

Here's a tweet detailing the handshake from the night before. Not sure if this means she's never high 5ed him, but it seems to indicate she didn't Saturday night either. 

1 minute ago, boomstick said:

According to Alligator Army's article from back in 2012, the black player on the team publicly said that wasn't true. There may have been a team vote, but I believe it may have centered around another freshman player. 

‪http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2012/5/19/3030676/florida-softball-sami-kasey-fagan-cheyenne-coyle-altercation-2012-ncaa-tournament‬

A shame 3 innocent players got booted just before the post-season.

28 minutes ago, keesler said:

I know full well about what the issue was but where are you getting this team vote stuff from? You are the only 1 anywhere, including UF sources, mentioning a team vote.

18 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Yes it did, watch the film, she was yelling and acting a fool towards the UF team.  It is sad that her teammates even had to restrain her.

That's not the same thing as going after them which was the phrase you used. They were yelling at her for pushing Walton back after he pushed her. She could have chose not to yell at them but make no mistake about it they yelled at her 1st.

I'm generally of the mind of AU64, Freak, and WLT.  She needs to subordinate the family vendetta while she's wearing the Auburn uniform.

I think we have exhausted this issue. I don't think going further does any good so I'm locking the thread.

Well this has been extensively discuss in the FL game thread, but the coach has come out and apologized now link

Florida coach Tim Walton released an apology following a postgame incident with Auburn shortstop Haley Fagan.

A strange exchange occurred between Walton and Fagan following Auburn's 1-0 victory Monday night in Gainesville. It all started when Walton pushed Fagan in the right shoulder as she walked by without her hand up for a high-five — a custom in the post-game handshake line between the two teams. This prompted Fagan to push Walton in the back as she walked by him, which resulted in a verbal exchange and some jawing between the two.

"I didn't hit you," Walton can be seen mouthing after Fagan pushes him from behind.

On Tuesday, Walton issued an apology via a statement on Twitter.

“I apologize to Haley. I just wanted to congratulate Auburn on the win — it was a good series," Walton said. “My intent was to give a high-five to each opposing player as we do after every game. Apparently, her hand wasn’t up as I said ‘good game’ and I touched her shoulder. I should have paid closer attention and did not intend to upset her.

“I regret that this has taken attention away from the effort and sportsmanship both teams displayed all weekend.”

The Fagan family and Walton have a history. Two of Fagan's sisters, Kasey and Sami Fagan, were dismissed from the Florida program before the 2012 NCAA Tournament because of an altercation, though details were not clear at the time, according to Alligator Army.

AuburnUndercover has reached out to Auburn for comment on the exchange Monday night in Gainesville. The athletics department has not responded.

Florida won the three-game SEC series 2-1.

Archived