2018 4* WR Seth Williams commits to AU!!!

ellitor

Updated (11/23/17): Seth commits to AU!!!

4_4439293.jpg
Seth Williams, WR
Cottondale, AL (Paul W Bryant)
Ht 6-2.5 | Wt 202

• Attended AU's Junior Day
  • Unofficial Visit to AU 7/21/17 (Big Cat Weekend)

"Just sitting down with the coaches, it was pretty much the same thing," Williams said. "You hear the same stuff on all your visits. They broke stuff down with me and showed me how they would use me.

"Auburn, they want me to play in the slot, but motion some. Alabama wants to play me inside too."

On the day of his Auburn trip, Williams noted that "every time I come here, it feels like family. I just can't get past that."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/07/cottondale_receiver_seth_willi.html

• Committed to AU 11/23/17
  • Recruiter: Kodi Burns (P)

Offers: Auburn, Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miss. State,  Ole Miss, Oregon, South Alabama, South Carolina, Southern Miss, Troy, UAB and Washington State, among others.

247Sports: 4*
ESPN: 4*
Rivals: 4*

Williams simply makes plays with the football in his hands and he has prototypical No. 1 wide receiver size to go along with it. Playing all over the field in high school, the future wideout is electric upon touching the ball with great vision, natural running instincts and well above-average acceleration. Williams will need to polish up his route-running and separation ability down the field to take his game to the next level.

https://247sports.com/Player/Seth-Williams-83839

Auburn receives second Thanksgiving commit in 4-star WR Seth Williams

C6HQW4TWUAAE8il.jpg

12 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Have we ever signed anyone from Cottondale?

Cottondale, an unincorporated area in East Tuscaloosa County, does not have a High School. Students from Cotttondale go to Holt High School. Bryant High's mail is delivered from the Cottondale Post Office, but is located within the City Limits of Tuscaloosa. Derrick Graves, class of 2000 recruit, graduated from Holt. 

Edited by aufan57

I want to say Auburn had a RB named John Sistrunk back in the mid 70's. He didn't last long. I think he was from Cottondale but it might have been Cottonwood, if there is such a place

On 3/28/2017 at 3:05 PM, milehighfan said:

I want to say Auburn had a RB named John Sistrunk back in the mid 70's. He didn't last long. I think he was from Cottondale but it might have been Cottonwood, if there is such a place

Cottonwood is down near the Florida line, in Houston County. Several years ago the Cottonwood team came up here to play in a baseball playoff game. They had six (count 'em 6) kids on the team with the last name of Coachman. A fan of theirs told me they were all brothers and/or cousins.

10 minutes ago, Mikey said:

They had six (count 'em 6) kids on the team with the last name of Coachman. A fan of theirs told me they were all brothers and/or cousins.

I wonder if they were related to...

tumblr_maj5y61eHK1qbgzjmo1_250.gif

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Cottonwood is down near the Florida line, in Houston County. Several years ago the Cottonwood team came up here to play in a baseball playoff game. They had six (count 'em 6) kids on the team with the last name of Coachman. A fan of theirs told me they were all brothers and/or cousins.

Thanks, Mikey, I stand corrected. I thought Cottonwood was farther south but I'm not Vasgo de Gama. I don't think I spelled that right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Auburn still recruiting hardest, Kodi Burns relationship strongest

What Auburn does differently than others for 4-star WR

With Seth Williams, the common question has remained the same throughout: Is it really possible for Auburn to snag a top-ranked wide receiver away from Tuscaloosa, from a high school named after Bear Bryant?

It’s something I wrote about back in February after Williams attended Auburn’s junior day. At the time, his coach hinted that it was well within reason for Auburn to think it had a legitimate chance with the 4-star receiver from Paul W. Bryant High.

As the months have wore on, the likelihood has gone up thanks to one critical factor: The Tigers are pushing harder than any other program.

“They really are. They’re just always contacting me every day,” Williams told SEC Country. “They always know what I’m going to do that day. They’re just always contacting me.”

Most of Williams’ communication goes through wide receiver coach Kodi Burns, who has a busy cycle with big-time wide receiver prospects such as Williams, Kolbi Fuqua, Justyn Ross, Jacob Copeland, Matthew Hill, Kearis Jackson, Shedrick Jackson and others all interested in Auburn. Williams speaks with coach Gus Malzahn on occasion as well.

But he has a particularly close connection with Burns, which has a lot to do with Burns’ youth and recent experience as a student-athlete.

IMG_8873_okpt9u.jpg
Auburn WR target Seth Williams concluded his first year of track and field by placing at the Alabama state meet. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

“We good. We text and talk at every chance we get. He talks with my dad and my mom all the time, too,” Williams said. “He’s cool. He understands where you’re coming from. He played in the national championship against Oregon when they played. He’s real cool. He’s young like you. He came through Auburn.”

Williams’ recruitment has been relatively tame recently as he finished up his track season. That wrapped up over the weekend when the 6-foot-3, 212-pound wide receiver showcased his speed and leaping ability in numerous track and field events.

He’ll quickly transition into a football mindset.

Williams’ first order of business will be figuring out which programs he hopes to visit this summer. He has yet to determine all of them, but when he sets that visit schedule, those will be the schools the 4-star wide receiver is considering going forward.

I want take all my visits this summer and see where I want to go. During the summer, whichever schools I decide to visit are the places I’ll choose between,” Williams said. “I have no timeline. I’m just going to wait it out.”

Alabama, once reported to have stepped off the gas, has returned to a few conversations with Williams per week. If the Crimson Tide make a major push, it’s unknown how much that will change Williams’ impression of Alabama. Ole Miss is another program Williams said is staying in regular contact, along with Auburn and Alabama.

When he speaks with the Tigers, though, they make him feel like he could have a successful pass-catching future on the Plains.

“They’re trying to make me into an NFL wide receiver. They like my physicality,” Williams said. “You’ve just got to think that he’s [Jarrett Stidham] a pretty good quarterback, so I’d have a pretty good chance of getting the ball thrown to me. It’s things like that when you know you’ve got a good quarterback.”

Edited by ellitor

3 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Lip service?

Doubt it. It's the 2nd or 3rd article like it the past few months. If Bama picks things up though then he's theirs.

2 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

So I wonder if they get Williams, would we have a better chance at Ross.  Guessing that probably wouldn't impact Ross's decision all that much.

As bad as I hate to admit it( and stating the obvious), it's an uphill battle for us with any in state recruit if Bama goes all in on them. We have to hope they fill up with 5 stars from California or Texas, and soon. 

• Like 1

Unless things have changed, kids from cottondale go to the new school (paul Bryant).   They used to go to Holt High school and like someone said previously, Auburn had a running back I believe that went to Holt.  

• 2 months later...

• Like 3

This has been one of the quieter battles. We usually dont get much info on him from anyone other than the fact that he is a Bama lean.

AUBURN | Seth Williams has been on two recruiting visits this summer — both to Auburn.

The four-star wide receiver from Paul Bryant High School in Cottondale, Ala., attended the Tigers’ cookout Saturday with his parents.

“The coaches, they are real and they’re not going to hide anything from you,” said Williams of what stood out most about Auburn. “It’s more like family. Every time I come down here it feels like it’s family. I just can’t get past that.”

Kodxuwbzqqipi8yrzfdr
Williams spent a lot of time with Auburn WR coach Kodi Burns during his visit.
Rivals.com

Williams, 6-foot-2 and 202 pounds, said that family feeling will play a big part in his recruitment.

“It’s going to be real important because I don’t want to go anywhere that I’m not going to feel comfortable,” Williams said. “I just want to feel like I’m supposed to be there, like I’m at home.”

It might seem unlikely that a highly-recruited receiver in Alabama’s backyard could end up at Auburn, but Williams is very open to that possibility.

“It’s not hard. It’s whatever school that fits you,” he said. “If you’re Tuscaloosa born and you want to go to Tuscaloosa and you stay in Tuscaloosa, you stay in Tuscaloosa. But nothing in Tuscaloosa is going to make you stay in Tuscaloosa.”

Williams’ parents have also given Auburn a positive review.

“They love it too,” Williams said. “They love wherever I feel comfortable.”

Williams’ offer list includes Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, South Carolina, Ole Miss and Mississippi State. He doesn’t currently list any favorites or have a timetable for a decision.

Williams did name three schools that are recruiting him the hardest.

“Auburn, Ole Miss and Alabama,” he said.

Williams also attended Auburn’s Big Cat recruiting event in June.

Link

With S Jackson on board, Hill nearly in the bag, and Ross, the other Jackson, and others still out there, how high is Williams on our board?  Would he be a take right now?  If so, who gets left out?  There's no way we're signing 5 WRs!

50 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

With S Jackson on board, Hill nearly in the bag, and Ross, the other Jackson, and others still out there, how high is Williams on our board?  Would he be a take right now?  If so, who gets left out?  There's no way we're signing 5 WRs!

don't jinx us on hill!!! he should of already been on board by now. 

We are looking for a big receiver so I think we take either Ross or Williams, not both. Add Jackson and Hill and we have a very good class.

Edited by au_bsci_04