2018 4* WR Seth Williams commits to AU!!!

ellitor

51 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Many kids want to go away to college. Sometimes being from our backyard is the biggest thing that works against us and this isn't limited to Auburn.

And nice to get those free tickets I expect and the convenience of see some good football close to  home.  Who can blame him for visiting AU on game Saturdays for entertainment and hospitality....but remember ...playing football at bama is a "business decision".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Many kids want to go away to college. Sometimes being from our backyard is the biggest thing that works against us and this isn't limited to Auburn.

That is absolutely NOT what happened with Benton and alan evans son 2 of the more more notable ones that have come out of our backyard recently. They did not simply want to "get away for college". It is the worst kept secret in the world benton was basically bought and paid for.

• Like 1

How Seth Williams got past his Keyshawn Johnson moment

The AL.com A-List ranks the top 15 players in the state

Seth Williams had enough. So did Paul Bryant coach Eldrick Hill.

Two summers ago, Williams was a rising prospect. He just finished his freshman season as a receiver at the school in Cottondale, just minutes away from the University of Alabama's campus.

That summer, he went and camped in front of Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban and then-offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, setting the pace for an offer he would eventually earn.

But he couldn't keep quiet after not getting the ball at a team workout that afternoon.

The 6-foot-3, 212-pound Williams, ranked No. 5 on the AL.com preseason A-List, looked the part of a college prospect even at age 15. But he was still behind two seniors.

Williams thought he should have gotten more balls that day. Hill thought he shouldn't have dropped one of the five he was thrown.

"One day he thought he was (former NFL receiver) Keyshawn Johnson and said, 'Give me the damn ball,'" Hill said. "At that point he was our No. 3 receiver. I can't say all of what I said after that. We threw him five and he dropped one. Our No. 1 guy got seven or eight balls and caught all of them. Same with our No. 2 guy.

"Had you not been complaining about not getting enough balls, you would have had the concentration to catch that fifth b

Words were exchanged. It got heated. Williams left the field. Hill understood Williams' "goofy" personality. He was a young player with great physical ability who didn't know how to reign it in mentally. He also called Williams' parents to let them know that Seth didn't have a good day, but he still loved him and wanted to get the most out of him.

"That was one of those days I challenged him to take his tail over to T.A. (Tuscaloosa Academy), catch 20 balls over everybody because you're bigger and better, but that's not going to get you any better," Hill said. "Stay here and compete, if you do something with those five balls, we'll find a way to get you more balls.

"He was smelling himself a little bit and thought he smelled like roses. We had to let him know he still smelled like boo boo. Kiffin told him this and Saban told him that, but when you come over here, you're still our No. 3 guy. We know you don't block back side and know you jog off the ball."

Looking back on it, Williams knew his head got too big because of how he did at an elite college camp.

"They hyped me up pretty good and had me feeling myself," Williams said of his Alabama performance. "I came back to practice and wasn't getting the ball. I was wide open one play and didn't get the ball."

Williams stayed at Bryant. He got more balls. Sure, there were still moments - in the 2016 spring game against Parker, Williams again complained about not getting a ball thrown his way. Hill was in his face and sat him out.

Those days don't happen anymore. Williams can smile about it now and understand that he needed to be humble and grow up. He's emerged as a top senior leader for the Stampede and has college offers from Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida State and others.

"He's busting his tail now," Hill said. "The kid is one of the best ones we've got."

Now, Williams blocks on the back side and doesn't jog when he's not getting the ball. He won't come off the field for the Stampede as he'll also play safety, punt and kick off.

While Williams is a four-star receiver, he's open to playing safety in college if it gets him on the field.

"His ceiling on the defensive side is probably higher than it is on the offensive side," Hill said. "He's (late all-pro) Sean Taylor-esque, 6-3 and could be 220ish. Knock your face in the dirt. That's who he reminds me of. He started learning it last year and he's still learning."

Williams' father Robert was a standout athlete at Holt High School. Williams has excelled in everything he has tried and earned all-state honors in three sports last year - first team as an athlete in football, second team in basketball and in track in the long jump and high jump.

Williams was a starting forward on the class 6A state champion Stampede basketball team.

"He's a six- or seven-star as far as I'm concerned," Hill said. "You put him at a 1A school and he'll win a championship by himself."

Williams is also into paintball and fishing. Even if Hill challenged him to transfer to a private school, Williams never seriously considered it. He has unfinished business at Paul Bryant.

"I didn't really want to leave," Williams said. "I knew if I left, I was going to be leaving my friends.

I never had to run full speed and people would fall when I hit them. I had to wake up and figure out that everyone is bigger and stronger than I was."

Edited by WFE12

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

That's not a very endearing article.  

Yep the last thing we need is a diva in our wr core especially with so many players with talent... Hopefully he has changed as the article implies.

That article is nothing but AL.com setting the stage for the bamzos to claim "We didn't want him anyway" should Williams choose Auburn.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 6

Sounds like a guy who has matured since being a 15 yr old phenom. Had the article not indicated he changed and has become a leader for his team, I might agree, but not seeing why it is cause for concern.

16 hours ago, corchjay said:

That's not a very endearing article.  

I thought it showed him maturing into a leader for his team! Gotta be tough when you're fifteen and told you are the greatest every day! I like him and hope we get him on board.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Any new info on Seth?  I'm guessing WRs aren't exactly salivating at the opportunity to play in our scheme right now.

Unless they just want to get in really good shape running go routes/wind sprints every play....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Has Seth put out a time table on when he'll make his commitment?

Yeah. When we pass for over 175 yards in a game .. like a real game . Not Aday 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is literally my only complaint all weekend.  I PROMISE! (YOU DIDN'T THINK I COULD GO ONE GAME WEEKEND WITHOUT ONE COMPLAINT COULD YOU?! LOL) This kid is becoming the Zakoby McClain on the offensive side of the ball. Every home game this year I SWEAR or at the least the majority Keith N on 247 puts out his visitor list. AND EVERY home game like clockwork seth is on it. How many games has he made it to this year?! ZERO!! STOP YANKING OUR CHAIN MAN!!!! It has been told to us bama is not making him a priority so what is the deal?! I get your ride falling through 1 time but EVERY game you were supposed to be at?! ughhhhhhhhhh. haha ok ok rant over! WAR DAMN MATTHEW HILL AND SHEDRICK JACKSON!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

I wonder if we're doubling down on our efforts to land Ross?

Think it's been said that he looks to be a lock for clemson..I pretty much moved past him. I like Seth more anyways.

18 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Think it's been said that he looks to be a lock for clemson..I pretty much moved past him. I like Seth more anyways.

Ross is far from a lock. Clemson might be the most likely spot but I very much believe we are in it with him. He has visited us a million times this season. 

35 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Ross is far from a lock. Clemson might be the most likely spot but I very much believe we are in it with him. He has visited us a million times this season. 

Ross is most comfortable at AU. Moreso here than any school. I’d be shocked if went out of state. 

• Like 1

I talked to Seth Williams uncle today.  He’s all AU right now but if bammer were to really go after him it might be a game changer.  He is happy with Auburn and expects he will be at AU.  

I know not earth shattering info but wanted to pass along.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I talked to Seth Williams uncle today.  He’s all AU right now but if bammer were to really go after him it might be a game changer.  He is happy with Auburn and expects he will be at AU.  

THEN PLEASE COME TO A GAME!!!!!!!! STOP BEING A ZAKOBY MCCLAIN AND FLAKING ON OUR COACHES!!!!!!! lol. can unc not give him a ride?????  Is his uncle all bama?....... I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!! but you said it right there in your post. All bama has to do is snap their fingers (even at the last second) and they probaly get him.

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

AU may only take 1 more WR. If he's a take now he might want to grab it. There may not be a spot later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

THEN PLEASE COME TO A GAME!!!!!!!! STOP BEING A ZAKOBY MCCLAIN AND FLAKING ON OUR COACHES!!!!!!! lol. can unc not give him a ride?????  Is his uncle all bama?....... I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!! but you said it right there in your post. All bama has to do is snap their fingers (even at the last second) and they probaly get him.

His entire family is all bama.  Big decisions for kids that grow up in the shadow of the stadium.   I agree with @ellitor he might miss his shot with us if he waits to much longer.  

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

His entire family is all bama.  Big decisions for kids that grow up in the shadow of the stadium.   I agree with @ellitor he might miss his shot with us if he waits to much longer.  

well that explains why he always tells the coaches he will be at a  lot of game this year but never shows lol. Not exactly like his family is jumping for joy at driving him to the plains!