247 Profile
Offers include AU, UGA, Mizzou, & Vols
Has quickly become a priority recruit for AU per Keith

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On-the-rise DE gem high on Auburn

AUBURN, Ala. — The Caleb Tannor sweepstakes look like it’s shaping up to be an old-fashioned SEC recruiting battle.

A quick look at Tannor’s rankings doesn’t portray the full story, at least if you look at the way some of the SEC’s top programs are recruiting him. The 6-foot-3, 223-pound defensive end from Miller Grove (Ga.) is listed as the No. 24 strong-side defensive end and No. 617 overall prospect in the 2018 class, according to the 247Sports composite rankings.

That doesn’t do Tannor justice.

Auburn, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have offered him since March 18. The first three programs in that group have received visits from Tannor since that time. He plans to visit Tennessee on Thursday.

But something separates Auburn from that group: He has visited the Plains 3 times in that span.

“I like it. I like it a lot. … It’s going to be a hard decision,” Tannor said.

Tannor, despite his humble ranking, has become a high priority for all.

Auburn football-Auburn-Rodney Garner
Auburn DL coach Rodney Garner (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Auburn wanted him on campus for its spring game, and the Tigers staff kept him around until the late evening before Tannor finally left his unofficial visit. He hasn’t sifted through his future visit schedule too in-depth — he hopes a trip to Columbus, Ohio, for an offer is in store — just yet, but return visits to Tuscaloosa and Athens should be expected.

Tanner said a decision “could happen” before the start of his senior season, but he hasn’t ruled out an elongated recruitment.

Part of the reason for the wait: “I know others are going to come,” Tannor said.

Florida and LSU are the two, in particular, that he thinks could be landscape-changing offers. The Gators and the Tigers have communicated regularly, but he still hasn’t picked up offers from them. Tannor cited LSU specifically as a program he’s “always liked.”

Tannor hasn’t narrowed his options completely yet. A top-10 list is imminent, he said.

But the big three — Auburn, Alabama and Georgia — received the most of his talking-point attention.

Does that mean those three programs have an advantage so far?

“Yeah, you can say that,” Tannor said. “Auburn, UGA and Bama are coming real hard.”

If Auburn has an edge, it’s the same thing the Tigers have with every defensive line recruit: Rodney Garner.

Tannor paid special attention to Marlon Davidson and Paul James III during his last two scrimmage visits, including A-Day. He said conversations for him with Garner haven’t explicitly specified the Buck defensive end spot versus the strong-side position, but Tannor thinks he has the skill set to do both.

Garner’s message on playing time has been reassuring to Tannor.

“I like him. He says, if I come prepared to play, he’s going to play me as a freshman,” Tannor said. “So I’m just going to try to see what I can do if I come in here ready to play.”

• 1 month later...

Top DE puts Auburn in top 5

Auburn’s defensive line recruiting cycle is beginning to take shape.

Rodney Garner has a proven track record of piecing together star-studded defensive line groups. He already has junior college commit Daquan Newkirk on board from Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College. Garner has been seen all over the recruiting trail during the evaluation period.

One of his major wants: Caleb Tannor, a 3-star defensive end from Miller Grove (Ga.).

Tannor has been a regular on the Plains since the Tigers offered on March 23. He’s attended Auburn twice since then, including a spring game appearance in which he was one of the prospects to stay into the evening.

He released an all-SEC top 5 on Sunday night made up of Auburn, Georgia, Florida, LSU and Tennessee.

Alabama was the notable name left of the list. Tannor said as recently as Auburn’s A-Day game that Auburn, Alabama and Georgia were the three schools he’d “been thinking about the most.” With no Crimson Tide on the list, that would appear to be good news for both Auburn and Georgia.

As of his most recent Auburn visit, the Tigers are particularly in a safe place.

“I like it. I like it a lot. … It’s going to be a hard decision,” Tannor said last month. “I like [Garner]. He says, if I come prepared to play, he’s going to play me as a freshman. So I’m just going to try to see what I can do if I come in here ready to play.”

Tannor wants to have a final decision before the start of his senior season.

• 1 month later...

And then there were two! Down to AU and the bullpups! Choose the good guys CT

1 hour ago, toddc said:

And then there were two! Down to AU and the bullpups! Choose the good guys CT

UGA is my bet. All his reporter communication has been with UGA reporters.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

UGA is my bet. All his reporter communication has been with UGA reporters.

Gotta get him on our turf! No pun intended!

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Gotta get him on our turf! No pun intended!

He's planning 1 more visit to each school before he commits.

From Benjamin Wolk of sec country 

4-star DE Caleb Tannor, Miller Grove (Ga.)

• Caleb Tannor will announce his decision Monday on Twitter. It’s down to Georgia and Auburn.
  • Before he makes that choice, he will spend the night in Auburn along with fellow Tigers target Michael Harris, who he is close with. 
    IMG_9365_wkjzlf.jpg
    Four-star DE Caleb Tannor says it’s a close race between Auburn and Georgia. (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)
  • Tannor made this visit with his mother, his two brothers and his younger sister.
  • Georgia projects Tannor as an outside linebacker similar to Lorenzo Carter. Auburn sees him as a Buck edge rusher.
  • A big portion of his visit involved talking with Auburn coaches about how they expect to use him.
  • How close is the race? “Great facilities, great coaches. It’s a real good connection. It feels just like Georgia, and that’s what’s making that race so close. Great coaching. Both of them are providing the same things for me, so we’re just gonna have to see.”
  • He said he doesn’t know his choice yet. He’ll go to church Sunday and hope to get a better idea.
  • Regardless, Tannor said he’ll likely visit both programs this fall.

Here we go!!!!!!!

I didn't know that him and Michael Harris were close. This helps us out even more.

" Caleb Tannor will announce his decision Monday on Twitter. It’s down to Georgia and Auburn."

" Regardless, Tannor said he’ll likely visit both programs this fall."

So, no matter what is said Monday, it's virtually meaningless. Caleb, buddy, if your mind is not made up on Monday, don't commit on Monday. It's not complicated.

19 minutes ago, Mikey said:

" Caleb Tannor will announce his decision Monday on Twitter. It’s down to Georgia and Auburn."

" Regardless, Tannor said he’ll likely visit both programs this fall."

So, no matter what is said Monday, it's virtually meaningless. Caleb, buddy, if your mind is not made up on Monday, don't commit on Monday. It's not complicated.

You follow recruiting too much to still get mad about commitments 

9 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

You follow recruiting too much to still get mad about commitments 

I'm not mad. Just hoping Caleb or some other prospect might read it and think twice about committing when he's not really making a commitment.

well all right then. I thought him changing his visit to a overnighter this past weekend tipped it in our favor..........

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

well all right then. I thought him changing his visit to a overnighter this past weekend tipped it in our favor..........

Nope and Keith & JLee said as much.

With Caleb still planning to visit AU more times this thread will stay here for now.

Just now, ellitor said:

Nope and Keith & JLee said as much.

well I couldn't say what the GOAT said because it was behind a pay wall but I am still suprised. Seemed like the visit didn't help much at all.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

well I couldn't say what the GOAT said because it was behind a pay wall but I am still suprised. Seemed like the visit didn't help much at all.

I thought some of his thoughts on Caleb were free the past couple days?

Just now, ellitor said:

I thought some of his thoughts on Caleb were free the past couple days?

I just assume they are never free because I can never tell so I do not want to give away something that is behind a pay wall.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I just assume they are never free because I can never tell so I do not want to give away something that is behind a pay wall.

It's easy to spot. Any post or article that does not have the VIP logo on it is free.

Archived