2018 4* OG Trey Hill (UGa)

ellitor

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes we are as close to a blue blood school as it gets but that's still a sizable margin perceptionally.

& yes there is a harm in trying too much to recruit outside your area. You sacrifice talent within your area that you could have gotten. That means less talent on roster to be developed. I know less talent on roster is something you specifically can not accept Mr. Star Guy.

Until we consistently are winning 10+ to expand the brand the only reason in most cases we should go outside our territory to get kids is if the have AU connections to them or they express interest in AU themselves. There is enough talent in Georgia, Florida, & Alabama for the UGAs, UAts, Florida's, & FSUs to get their talent & AU to get ours too.

How would we exactly be sacrificing kids in our area? There is no harm if a guy is legit interested in you. Auburn has all the money and resources in the world to be able to recruit nationally with guys who are actually interested in AU.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

How would we exactly be sacrificing kids in our area?

Because time & resources are finite, not infinite things. Time & energy spent on creating territories to to get kids outside the area interested is time & resources lost on the in-area on kids already likely interested.

There is no harm if a guy is legit interested in you.

Agreed but it takes a lot more time & energy to create that legit interest in many cases outside the area. That's time & energy wasted if you don't get out of area targets because you miss on them & also miss on some in area kids you may  have liked because you did not have the time or resources to put into their recruitments as much as it was needed.

Auburn has all the money and resources in the world to be able to recruit nationally with guys who are actually interested in AU.

There's only 24 hours in a day & it takes time for coaches to build relationships that win recruiting battles. Also we aren't a tier 1 super elite brand which is needed to go national & get legitimate winnable recruitng battles interests & won't be til we are winning 10+ constistently. Outside of our area right now should be relegated to prospects we like in states that don't have a football power as in the Braden Smith example.

10 hours ago, Tiger said:

I see it as:

We have been getting top 10 classes for years now -- we should expect top 10 finishes. Seems logical.

We are now paying our coach a top 5 salary...to me this means we aren't getting our money's worth if we aren't hovering somewhere in the top 10 when the 2nd half of November rolls around on a regular basis IMO

Every one of Gus's teams has been ranked in the top ten at some point in the 2nd half of the season. He's already met your goals, you should be a happy camper.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Every one of Gus's teams has been ranked in the top ten at some point in the 2nd half of the season. He's already met your goals, you should be a happy camper.

I'm not on the fire Gus train anymore (I was after LSU) and this year was a very good season nobody can deny that. Gus deserves lots of praise for getting us to 10 regular season wins and upset wins over UGA and Bama. 

But I think we can all agree the cumulative record of the prior 3 seasons of being 23-16 is not getting it done so I was not a happy camper. That ugly record there is not indicative of top 10 recruiting classes, nor does it warrant top 5 salary. I know we paid him for his production this year and with the idea that there needs to be more of this to come in the near future though.

22 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Sorry, 

Sorry, but we aren't paying a coach 7 million dollars a year to beat our rivals one out of every four years. With that kind of money, he better be getting us into the top 5 routinely (at least every couple of years) or else he is getting overpaid. This won't happen which is why our fan base will ultimately be disappointed. I am still one of e few at truly doesn't believe Gus magically turned a corner this year. 8-5 seasons will sadly still be the norm under Gus.

We paid him $7 mil per year with the expectation that we will have more seasons like this season.  I understand you're predicting that Gus can't accomplish this, but you don't know it with certainty.  Nobody knows what's going to happen, but some of the factors that weighed into that offer are as follows:

• We are consistently recruiting at a high level - While one can argue that we are being out-recruited by our main rivals because they tend to be ranked in the top 5 while we are only ranked around the top 10, recruiting is not an exact science and it's hard to truly quantify the difference between our classes and UGA's and Bama's.  Could we bring in another coach that would do better?
  • Gus has demonstrated an ability to compete at a high level when his players are healthy.  He has also made some mistakes, but he does seem to have a high ceiling.
  • Gus has demonstrated a willingness to make needed changes - While Gus clearly has trust issues, he has shown signs that he can change once his trust has been earned.  I think Chip Lindsey and Jarrett Stidham earned his trust over the course of the season.
  • The athletic department is unstable right now.  We have a new president and lame duck AD and are dealing with a number of non-football issues.  Right now is not the best time to add searching for a new football coach to the mix.  We need stability. 
  • The current climate in hiring a coach (Who would we have gotten that's better than Gus?) - there were so many vacancies with very few known commodities to go around.  It was a sellers' market.  I believe it's wise to hold on to your current coach and maintain stability if he's consistently recruiting at a high level (~top 10) and shown signs of a willingness to change to overcome previous inadequacies.   
  • Arkansas went after Gus - this forced our hand.  While I didn't like the timing of it,  we had to make a call based on information at the time.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:38 PM, ellitor said:

Well in this case we paid it to beat them once in every 4 years.

Our current winning streak is longer than thiers!

I always hate to lose on a top recruit like Hill. But consider this: We were good enough from a talent perspective to decisively beat Bama and UGA this year, yet both teams out recruited us the past 4 years. As long as we consistently reel in top 10 classes like we have been, (and maintain coaching staff continuity) will will be talented enough and deep enough to beat them. This is an outstanding class we are putting together, with some top shelf players from Alabama and Georgia. One guy is not going to make or break it. WDE!!!

Archived