2018 4* OG Trey Hill (UGa)

ellitor

• 1 month later...

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU 'in great shape' for No. 2 OG

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/auburn-is-in-great-shape-for-no-2-og

Houston County (Ga.) OL Trey Hill noticed two important things Saturday in Auburn.

The Tigers have improved since Hill last saw them beat Mercer, and they’ve done so with four senior starters along the offensive line.

“They look much better now,” Hill said of Auburn’s 44-23 win over Ole Miss. “They ran the ball more this game. They are coming along with the throwing and stuff, and it’s very important to see them score points. It’s very big.”

Hill, who is ranked the No. 2 guard in the 2018 class, also places high importance on having the chance to play early in college. 

That works in Auburn’s favor.

“The depth chart is very big to me, to see that I can be on the field my first year here,” Hill said. “They had four seniors on the line and that would put me in a good position.”

Opportunity for early playing time isn’t the only thing Hill likes about Auburn.

“The family atmosphere,” Hill said.

He also likes the Tigers and their commitments have made him a high priority in the class.

“(The commitments) said this is where it’s at, that it has a family atmosphere and it’s home,” Hill said. “That’s important. It’s obvious they want me here.”

Hill plans to return to Auburn at least two more times before making a decision closer to Signing Day. He’ll use his official visits to see colleges farther away from his home in Warner Robins.

“Southern Cal, LSU and Ohio State will get official visits,” Hill said.

Hill doesn’t list any leaders among a long list of schools he’s still considering.

But as for Auburn?

“Auburn is in great shape,” Hill said.

Rivals ranks Hill the No. 61 overall player in the class and No. 6 player in Georgia.

Well ... Now if the dawgs win the Sec and natty...well he'll probably be a dawg. He and Jake Fromm were teammates last year. However, he really likes AU and opportunity to compete for a starting Position...has visited numerous times , even the ole miss game. We just need to  do our part and whip UGA's  a$$! 

12 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Well ... Now if the dawgs win the Sec and natty...well he'll probably be a dawg. He and Jake Fromm were teammates last year. However, he really likes AU and opportunity to compete for a starting Position...has visited numerous times , even the ole miss game. We just need to  do our part and whip UGA's  a$$! 

Even if UGA wins a Natty, he still won't sign with them. They are SUPER deep at guard so he wouldn't see much playing time for a couple of years even though he is a stud. UGA has probably recruited the O line better than any other program over the last two years and its already starting to show.

Us on the other hand, 3 of our starters on the line are leaving after this year (he is well aware of that) and so if he comes to camp in shape (cough cough Calvin Ashley) and ready to roll, he will have a legitimate chance to start next year. 

2 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Even if UGA wins a Natty, he still won't sign with them. They are SUPER deep at guard so he wouldn't see much playing time for a couple of years even though he is a stud. UGA has probably recruited the O line better than any other program over the last two years and its already starting to show.

Us on the other hand, 3 of our starters on the line are leaving after this year (he is well aware of that) and so if he comes to camp in shape (cough cough Calvin Ashley) and ready to roll, he will have a legitimate chance to start next year. 

Yeah they were too small according to Smart so they're trying to change  that

11 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Would that not be 4?  We have 4 SR starters and 1 backup SR.  Would all 5 not be gone next year?

24 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Would that not be 4?  We have 4 SR starters and 1 backup SR.  Would all 5 not be gone next year?

Yes, I believe you are correct. Golson, Smith, James and Casey Dunn. Gonna be interesting to see who fills the gaps next  year. 

33 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

Yes, I believe you are correct. Golson, Smith, James and Casey Dunn. Gonna be interesting to see who fills the gaps next  year. 

Definitely a lot of new faces on the OL next year.  As much as CGM & CHH like seniority at C, I would not be surprised to see Horton move inside next year.  Though that does seem like a waste since we recruited so well at OL over the last few years.  I really thought Kim would be ready by now

11 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Definitely a lot of new faces on the OL next year.  As much as CGM & CHH like seniority at C, I would not be surprised to see Horton move inside next year.  Though that does seem like a waste since we recruited so well at OL over the last few years.  I really thought Kim would be ready by now

Kim should be ready next year. Won't he be a redshirt Junior? I could also see us taking another grad transfer for the center spot just like we did this year. Using Horton at center would be terrible if we had to make a decision like that given how dominant he is at guard. 

I can't imagine Horton moving to Center unless we have a lot of dudes whiff. Kim, Brahms, and Irvin were all recruited (or are being recruited) specifically to play Center.

A lot of new faces next year, but seems like we know some of what to expect. Unless something unexpected happens, you'll see Tega and Horton starting. Then, I would assume Harrell moves into the other Guard spot, and I hope that Ashley gets his body in shape. If so, he'll take a Tackle spot. 

Plenty of guys to make it interesting (Bailey Sharp at OT, a healthy Austin Troxell, Prince Sammons, etc.), and an uber-talented Freshman (like Trey Hill) could force his way into the conversation. Still I'd expect, Tega, Horton, Harrell, and Ashley to be the frontrunners with a question at Center.

14 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I thought James had 1 more year.

You are right.  Sorry I think technically DJ is a RS JR even though the AU site lists him as SR.  He was a transfer from TX so he played in 2014, sat 2015 and played last year and this.  So he should have 1 more year.  So we should have LT, LG & RT returning next year and only need C & RG.  RG would be great spot for TH to get some playing time as a true FR

25 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

You are right.  Sorry I think technically DJ is a RS JR even though the AU site lists him as SR.  He was a transfer from TX so he played in 2014, sat 2015 and played last year and this.  So he should have 1 more year.  So we should have LT, LG & RT returning next year and only need C & RG.  RG would be great spot for TH to get some playing time as a true FR

At this time Golson is LT, Dunn is C, and Braden Smith is RG. That said Prince will have experience at LT as part time starter so you could say either need two or three replacements of starters.  The O-line worries me next year along with DB's especially Safety. 

9 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

At this time Golson is LT, Dunn is C, and Braden Smith is RG. That said Prince will have experience at LT as part time starter so you could say either need two or three replacements of starters.  The O-line worries me next year along with DB's especially Safety. 

yes, what I was saying is that Tega would come back as LT, Horton at LG and DJ at RT.  That would leave us only replacing C & RG.  There is no way that DJ is going pro this year based on the number of times he has been beat and with injuries.  

OL is always my concern at the start of the year.

Safety will be a concern, but it may not be nearly as dire as we thought in fall camp. Daniel Thomas and Jordyn Peters have looked good in relief. Plus, you always have the option of moving Dinson back to Safety (ala Stephen Roberts' move a couple years ago). Very thin from an experience stand point, but factor in the depth we're signing (Smoke, Sherwood, and Fuqua). It'll be a talented group if nothing else.

6 hours ago, milehighfan said:

What about the guy from Southside, Tyler Carr I believe is his name. Has he not developed like the coaches would like or has he transferred?

That oline class has turned out to be a disappointment in my opinion. Four star career backups

8 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

That oline class has turned out to be a disappointment in my opinion. Four star career backups

Seems that Grimes wanted a different kind of guy than what Herb likes. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Seems that Grimes wanted a different kind of guy than what Herb likes. 

That would be a sad development, doesn't seem like any of those guys have done very well, Is it because their strength is different than what CHH wants?

8 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

That would be a sad development, doesn't seem like any of those guys have done very well, Is it because their strength is different than what CHH wants?

Good question. It just seems hard to believe that we whiffed on every one of those guys, especially since OL was a strength for most of the time that JB was here. Of course, almost none of his guys from 2013-14 have shown proficiency in pass blocking, so maybe that has something to do with it. 

I wouldn't call that class disappointments. Mike Horton was in that class, and PT Wahogho was in that class. I mean, that's two season opening starters in the class already.

Going into next season, Kaleb Kim looks like a strong candidate to start at Center, and Marqel Harrell was in the running for a starting Guard spot this year (when we had Smith lined up outside). I'd also say Bailey Sharp has a real chance at playing next year. He's a RS Sophomore backing up at RT. If James doesn't come back or moves inside (both possible), Sharp could take that job. 

It's not out of the realm of possibility that our OL next year looks like this:  Tega/Horton/Kim/Harrell/Sharp

I wouldn't call it likely, but it's not a stretch either. Tyler Carr seems to be an odd man out, but those five guys will matter for our OL next year.

Archived