All Things Sean White (Merged)

aubiefifty

al.com

Lack of soreness, full arm strength has Auburn's Sean White 'pumped up'

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Sean White hasn't played a game since he left Athens Nov. 12 with a 13-7 loss to Georgia.

It was the worst performance of his career -- a 6-for-20, 27-yard outing that included an interception return for Georgia's only touchdown. White entered the contest dealing with a nagging shoulder injury he suffered against Ole Miss two weeks earlier, and he aggravated it against the Bulldogs. The loss eliminated the Tigers from contention in the SEC West.

On Saturday, White made one thing clear ahead of the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma -- he's back to 100 percent and ready for some redemption.

"It's felt great," said White, who had not spoken with the media in nearly seven weeks. "I'm ready to go. I feel healthy again and I'm just excited to be able to go out there and play for my teammates and feel good. I feel 100 percent and ready to go."

White confirmed his injury was an AC joint sprain in his throwing shoulder, but chose not to elaborate further. He said he spent "a lot of time" in the training room working to get back to full strength and does not expect to undergo surgery this offseason to correct anything.

"It was a couple of different things," White said. "I don't know if they want me to get all into it, but the medical staff did a really good job getting me right and getting me feeling great for this game."

After being held out Auburn's win over Alabama A&M and loss to Alabama, White returned to action Dec. 14 for the first bowl practice and was a full participant. On Saturday he said there hasn't been any soreness in his arm, which has him excited.

"I was pumped up," he said. "I was running around smiling. I was really happy. It just feels good to be healthy again and have my arm strength back again and just be able to go out there and play and not have to adjust like I have to try to throw it 20 yards because I'm only throwing it 15. It's hard to explain, but I just feel comfortable."

White has completed 65.2 percent of his passes this season for 1,644 yards, nine touchdowns and three interceptions this season while rushing for 148 yards and two more scores. He'll look to add to those numbers against an Oklahoma defense that ranks 118th nationally out of 128 FBS teams in passing yards allowed at 279 per game.

Will Auburn attack Oklahoma through the air with a healthy Sean White?

"I think he is looking pretty good right now," said Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee. "He has had a couple of good days the last few days. There's no question, when we were playing well in the middle of the year, we had a pretty good balance offensively. We were very efficient on the football. Right before he got hurt, he was leading the league in pass efficiency, completion percentage, touchdown interception ratio, yards for completion, a lot of good categories.

"Having him out there gives our guys a shot in the arm because of his competitiveness. Any time the challenge has been brought up and people write him off, he usually rises to the occasion."

White feels he has yet to play a "great game," which he considers to be making every throw and not leaving any missed opportunities on the field. Nevertheless, he likes Auburn's chances against Oklahoma Monday night inside the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, especially since running back Kamryn Pettway feels back to 100 percent as well after injuring his quad against Vanderbilt. White believe the Tigers have an opportunity to return to their best offensive form -- a balanced attack that allowed them to string together six straight wins in the middle of the season.

"It's a blessing to be able to play in the Sugar Bowl in a big-time game like this," he said. "I just can't wait to go out there and play with my teammates.

"When we're 100 percent we're a pretty tough team to beat."

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope SW is 100% healed but it is more important that Pettway is 100%.IMO

Having all of our injured players back at full strength is important. Oklahoma is a very talented team.

1 hour ago, SouthGATiger said:

Umm...I thought SW shoulder wasn't all the way healed up...saw this in another thread I believe per an insider which was concerning

His strength/velocity is not 100%

My worry is if he goes out and injures it early in the game what is the backup plan ? Just like our offense, we do great the first drive but when the opponents defense makes adjustments, we seem lost as where to go next. I believe a health SW is our best bet, but we better have a B plan to go with it. WDE.

Some people heal quicker than others. I try hard not to get into any medical issues in that it has been decades since I practiced medicine. I know our team MD and Dr. Andrews are really good doctors that take great care of our players when injuries occur. Medical procedures are light years further since the 1970s and early 80s. Back in the day, cortisone shots were given far more than what they are today.

I have no clue as to what the SOP is  for rehab for the players. I do know that players heal quicker with all of the advancements in orthopedics over decades ago. I would probably give SW around 85% of being healed. Bubba comes in around 90% being healed. At these percentages, I would say that they can play a solid 60 minutes against OUs defense. Look for a solid effort on both sides of the ball from Auburn. I think our defense will be the best OU has seen all season without any reservations. Our offense can do the  job efficiently. I think we will come out of this game with a solid win against an OU team that has a lot of talent.

16 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wouldn't expect SW to be 100% 

This is not good news.Maybe he will be healed enough to play a decent game.

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

His strength/velocity is not 100%

He may not need to be 100%. The offense just seems to move more smoothly when he is in there.  What really is the key is what the coaches call. What this team does best with a healthy Pettaway and Johnson, is run downhill. That not only gets points but it keeps the Sooner offense off the field. WDE

18 hours ago, SouthGATiger said:

Umm...I thought SW shoulder wasn't all the way healed up...saw this in another thread I believe per an insider which was concerning

Just a few weeks ago, Other insiders on here and other boards assured us Pettway and White were done for the year including the bowl game. With the way Gus has access to this program locked down, 'insider' is becoming a more relative term. We will know for sure in a few hours. War Eagle!

Then why is he saying he is 100% ....I get so confused with the info from the board, coaches and players....never know who to believe. Guess we will see...I just hope if he is hurt he did not put off a potential needed surgery or rest to assure he could be ready to compete in the spring.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

Just a few weeks ago, Other insiders on here and other boards assured us Pettway and White were done for the year including the bowl game. With the way Gus has access to this program locked down, 'insider' is becoming a more relative term. We will know for sure in a few hours. War Eagle!

True...the way it should be.     

As we have discussed many many times, there is no reason for Gus to reveal ANYTHING about the health of his players or who his starters will be.   Disinformation is best way to answer the curious who have no need to know.

I truly believe that neither SW nor KP were 100%. However, with that being said, I do not think that was all there is to what happened tonite. I genuinely believe that the players and coaches may have done all they could for the time being. Given the fact that we lost to the #1 and  #7 teams in our last 2 games, is disheartening. But when I take off my Orange & Blue glasses, I see where that would be the case for lots of teams around the country. We just did not have enough overall talent, consistency, and yes luck, to make it happen with better teams we played at years's end. Yet, with the caliber of our returning skill position players, 2 (maybe 3) new QB's to start Spring practice, we have a good chance to improve on this just finished season in 2017. It doesn't mean that we will. I am extremely excited about Stidham and Barrett as QB's next year, along with some legitimate backup QB's behind them. We will have a  little more depth at RB next year and are doing some decent recruiting otherwise. Some teams get better and stay better as the season unwinds. We got better and seemed to have a solid season brewing, then we lost our ONLY QB of any ability; we lost 3 Running Backs and our only H-Back to injuries and we lost continuity and the ability to produce. There were no players to fill the void, regardless of the blame or reason. The players we needed could not play and the coaches really had limited options. As much as I want to blame the coaches, we lost players at all the spots that we were razor-thin in depth. Sure, we could have better play calling, but first we have to have the players to execute the plays. We did not have any, they were all in the Training Room. JMHO...WDE..looking forward to next year. 

On 1/1/2017 at 8:29 PM, Eagle Eye 7 said:

My worry is if he goes out and injures it early in the game what is the backup plan ? Just like our offense, we do great the first drive but when the opponents defense makes adjustments, we seem lost as where to go next. I believe a health SW is our best bet, but we better have a B plan to go with it. WDE.

Well i'll be D%($#! Give me the numbers to the PowerBall drawing RIGHT NOW! 

4 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Well i'll be D%($#! Give me the numbers to the PowerBall drawing RIGHT NOW! 

Too late, I already got 'em and I'm not sharing. :poke:

:big:

2 hours ago, Never2Yield said:

Too late, I already got 'em and I'm not sharing. :poke:

:big:

Sharing is caring! I mean we're all family...dysfunctional but still family! :wareagle:

• 1 month later...

after reading about Malzahn and Lindsey not naming a starter out of spring..i wondered how would fans feel if White in the fall was named the starter?

Would you feel we still had a shot at the SEC championship or a 10+ win season? 

To me i want to see the spring game first and see how Stidham simply handles himself as a QB on plays. I realize there is no tackling of the QB and he can't run with it, but how accurate he is, how he looks as a QB will help me see how I feel going into the fall. If he shows his arm strength, accuracy, deep ball success, then I will simply say, We need him to put us over the top with our offense, red zone capability, and leadership.

I love SW, but I don't want to wait until he gets hurt again to see JS make his debut...

What if Woody is named the starter?

Here's how I see it.  We know what Sean has done in the past.  We know what Stidham has done in the past. We know, right now, Stidham has a bigger upside than Sean. So here's the three possible scenarios.

1. Stidham is named the starter... it's met with a collective shrug, because it was expected, and we have a great QB
2. White is named the starter... certain people freak out but most are ok because they realize that if he beat Stidham, he played better than him in practice, and we have a great QB.
3. Barrett is named the starter... everyone is shocked, but there is a lot of excitement because we know he beat out Stidham and White and we have no idea what is is capable of... and we have a great QB.

I'm fine with White.  I think Auburn is still top 5 good with White at Qb.  There is soo much talent on offense that a serviceable QB should do very well.  Auburn doesn't need a Cam Newton to carry this offense this year.  With Bubba, KJ, Kam, and Malik I'd be fine if Sean handed off every play and stayed healthy.  Best part is if he gets hurt the backup wouldn't be a train wreck like last season.

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

To me i want to see the spring game first and see how Stidham simply handles himself as a QB on plays. I realize there is no tackling of the QB and he can't run with it, but how accurate he is, how he looks as a QB will help me see how I feel going into the fall. If he shows his arm strength, accuracy, deep ball success, then I will simply say, We need him to put us over the top with our offense, red zone capability, and leadership.

Why wait for A-Day

Ignoring the excessive hype... this is a pretty good compilation of what he can do in a college game.

The JJ backfire may cause him to never name a starter before August again. No need to freak if SW is named the starter, but we'd be back to sleeping with one eye open. 

To me this season has the feeling of "put-up or shut-up". I think the staff is aware of it. Whatever ruts and mistakes we hit this season probably won't in any way resemble '16, so i'm pretty confident the qb decision they make really will the best decision for our chances. My .02 War Eagle.

Archived