All Things Sean White (Merged)

aubiefifty

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The huge difference this year if White is names the starter is the fact we will have a solid backup in Stidham.

We had no reliable BU QB in 2016, and with White's injuries, it hurt us.

42 minutes ago, meh130 said:

The huge difference this year if White is names the starter is the fact we will have a solid backup in Stidham.

We had no reliable BU QB in 2016, and with White's injuries, it hurt us.

We'll have two backups better this year than any backup we had last year. And, hopefully, the true freshman we signed won't get injured at the start of the season, thus potentially being ready late in the season if everything else goes wrong.

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

If he is healthy, don't forget about Tyler Queen! 

Even though we all love to forget about Tyler Queen

I don't believe Queen will even be a player in this equation.

I'm not going to lie. With all the hype on Stidham and my hopes riding with his potential, if White is announced the starter I'm gonna say lots of bad words and either drop kick something or throw something.

I'm gona be a kid just because I can.  I'll get over it and try not to fuss, but I will not be happy about it.

32 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

I don't believe Queen will even be a player in this equation.

I'm not going to lie. With all the hype on Stidham and my hopes riding with his potential, if White is announced the starter I'm gonna say lots of bad words and either drop kick something or throw something.

I'm gona be a kid just because I can.  I'll get over it and try not to fuss, but I will not be happy about it.

That says a lot about you...if SW beats JS and everyone else for the starting job, then he has earned it. I want the best player to play at each position and don't believe in playing the most hyped. 

I'm fine with any one of them as long as we don't wait until the last week of fall camp to name one. Then, rotate all of them every other play in the first game. Oh, wait....

50 minutes ago, imaolgatiger said:

That says a lot about you...if SW beats JS and everyone else for the starting job, then he has earned it. I want the best player to play at each position and don't believe in playing the most hyped. 

What it says is I have no faith in White. And while I'll support the team and root for them if he wins the battle so be it. But If he wins it my gut says we are looking for a new coach next year. 

If you think any one on this board doesn't want the best player playing, we'll that says a lot about you too.

I have always been a big SW fan. Love his mental toughness and competitiveness. That said, if JS isn't named the starter then Gus has officially gone cookoo and needs to have a mental evaluation. Out of respect for SW Gus has no choice but to postpone the naming of a starter until further down the road IMO which isn't worth much since I never played a down of football in my life.

Two things: SW needs to be healthy to even be considered the starter & I hope he is healthy in the fall so there is no excuse as to why and who is the starter.  The only way I see JS not being the starter is if he has any type of injury or gets in trouble along the way. There is a reason the staff went so hard after him. Typically coaches don't go after JUCOs, if they feel they have all they need. Both are looking for an immediate impact. Now let me preface this by stating that JS will make mistakes folks. Another realization is some people will amplify these mistakes. Why? Because in spite of people being AU fans, some people really do not want him to start. The same happen last year with SW. The same happened with JF3 when he played. It is human nature.

Bottomline,  CCL, JS and the talent we have coming back has brought tremendous excitement and expectations. We should embrace it. I love the idea of being talked about in the offseason for the right reasons. This renewed energy is refreshing.  Now, let's actually do our part on the field.

11 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

What if Woody is named the starter?

Here's how I see it.  We know what Sean has done in the past.  We know what Stidham has done in the past. We know, right now, Stidham has a bigger upside than Sean. So here's the three possible scenarios.

1. Stidham is named the starter... it's met with a collective shrug, because it was expected, and we have a great QB
2. White is named the starter... certain people freak out but most are ok because they realize that if he beat Stidham, he played better than him in practice, and we have a great QB.
3. Barrett is named the starter... everyone is shocked, but there is a lot of excitement because we know he beat out Stidham and White and we have no idea what is is capable of... and we have a great QB.

You nailed it for the most part. JMO Most people would be disappointed if white wins the job due to durability, lack of mobility, and arm strength. Also his toughness (which in most cases is great)hurt Auburn on a few occasions. The shoulder and the forearm.... for me it's Barrett or Stidham 

11 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

I don't believe in 'he earned it' when it comes to being successful in the real games. JJ and Kiehl Frazier earned it too, and they fell apart at some time or simply could not be successful on the field. And i am sure there have been others 'who earned it' but simply lacked the on field presence to win games and not turn the ball over.

I think a lot of times coaches know they have named a starter, but know too, that they are rolling the dice, because their QBs are simply not consistent or have the top level skills that some QBs have when they are signed. They just know and hope the ones they have to teach, eventually develop into a winning QB.

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don't believe in 'he earned it' when it comes to being successful in the real games. JJ and Kiehl Frazier earned it too, and they fell apart at some time or simply could not be successful on the field. And i am sure there have been others 'who earned it' but simply lacked the on field presence to win games and not turn the ball over.

I think a lot of times coaches know they have named a starter, but know too, that they are rolling the dice, because their QBs are simply not consistent or have the top level skills that some QBs have when they are signed. They just know and hope the ones they have to teach, eventually develop into a winning QB.

When "JJ and Kiehl Frazier earned it too" who was better behind them on the practice field? Coaches have to play the player that performs the best in practice and if they can't do it during the game(and how do you know this until they are IN a game?), you make a change.  If not, then why even practice? Why not just listen to all of the talent experts in our fan base? Sometimes your best at a position just isn't very good or very inexperienced! This is Sean's 4th year in the system and he has played pretty good when healthy, so I wouldn't be surprised if he won the job. With that being said, I hope CL builds the offense around his/whomever starts strengths(which didn't happen that last couple of years in my opinion).  I want the best AUBURN TIGER to play and if that is JS, SW, JFIII, WB, TQ or MW I am fine with it. I'm not going to act like a child and piss and moan because the player that I perceived from my keyboard to be the starter doesn't win the job.

I'm fine with SW starting, he's been in the program 4 yrs and he is experienced, knows the system, knows his team mates, knows SEC defenses and he has played in live action at a highly competitive level in the last 12 months.  These are all things JS has not done.  

I'm not sure I care to see Gus throw a QB to the wolves aka Clemson/SEC caliber defenses right out of the gate.  I'm apprehensive about JS I guess.:dunno:

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm fine with SW starting, he's been in the program 4 yrs and he is experienced, knows the system, knows his team mates, knows SEC defenses and he has played in live action at a highly competitive level in the last 12 months.  These are all things JS has not done.  

It's insane how much Auburn fans discount all of that.

Stidham will be named the starter and it will be fine, but some of the responses in this thread... well, they're completely predictable and expected, actually. Thanks for bringing some sanity. 

If SW is named the starter next year it means that JS was not all he was hyped to be (I think  he will be great). If that happens Gus will be out of a job at the end of the year because I believe we need someone better than SW to get us where we need to be in order for Gus to keep his job. Don't get me wrong I think SW is a decent QB who can help us win games but not as many games as we need to win. We have to win 10 games and one of those games needs to be Alabama or Ga. for Gus to stay. I think there is a real possibility that SW is the #3 QB. I know it sounds like I am knocking SW, I don't mean to but we are counting on JS a lot and WB has a ton of upside. With JS and our schedule next year I think we win 11 games, with SW I think we win 9 and I am not sure that is good enough for Gus to keep his job.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's insane how much Auburn fans discount all of that.

Stidham will be named the starter and it will be fine, but some of the responses in this thread... well, they're completely predictable and expected, actually. Thanks for bringing some sanity. 

To be honest, I couldn't give a rats ass about a hype video of JS from 2 yrs ago at Baylor.  The kid hasn't played in the SEC ever, he hasn't faced the speed and pace of the game with a top 10 defense starring him down wanting to decapitate him on every snap every freaking Saturday.  

SW is battle tested, has earned the support and respect of his team mates over the last 4 yrs and is an effective QB when healthy, he trusts his linemen and his RBs because he's been in the trenches with them.  

I used to say "I trust Gus' opinion" on the offense, QBs, schemes......and I'd leave it at that.  Over the last 2 1/2 seasons the trust I had in CGM has basically diminished to zilch.

We'll see how it all pans out in the end, there is a LOT of coaching, training and developing to be done in the 6 months.  

I have high hopes for JS, and if he's not named the starter, it will probably temper my excitement for the upcoming season somewhat.

I'll also admit I have become a little wary of all the hype. Even in the video posted above, it shows highlights against Kansas, SMU,  Iowa State and Lamar(???).  I hope the fans have some patience if his introduction to the SEC does not go as smoothly as we all expect.

CGM is likely coaching for his job this season. Rest assured, whoever he names the starter is the one demonstrating the best ability to win big this year. WDE

The reaction on here will probably be the similar to when Chris Todd was named starter over Kodi before 2009. And that would be slightly unfair because Todd was straight up bad in 2008 and SW has not been bad. He just has certain limitations (injury prone, can't stretch the field as much as we'd like).

4 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

You nailed it for the most part. JMO Most people would be disappointed if white wins the job due to durability, lack of mobility, and arm strength. Also his toughness (which in most cases is great)hurt Auburn on a few occasions. The shoulder and the forearm.... for me it's Barrett or Stidham 

But... if White busts his a** and wins the start, his durability is not an issue, because Stidham will jump right in and we'll keep going. So... problem solved.

Archived