All Things Sean White (Merged)

aubiefifty

25 minutes ago, Tiger said:

That doesn't mean the reaction on here wouldn't be the same. Some people were pissed Todd was named starter. Some were ok with it. I assume this is how it would go if SW was named starter.

The reaction will be way different IMO. There are probably very few AU fans going into this spring that thinks SW, who is hurt and will miss all of spring practice, will start in 2017 over JS. Even the most adamant SW supporters have to admit that JS has a huge advantage at this point. 

Back in 08 there was a big debate, I remember. But the reaction when Todd was named starter (while bad) was not near what it will be if SW is named starter over JS, especially if JS has a strong spring. This place will melt so hard we may have to go back to aunation because you won't be able to login to aufamily. It will shut down. 

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I'm not going to lie though, I want Jarrett Stidham to win the job. I want him to win the job because I think he has the potential right now to be better than White. If White gets the nod, I'll be disappointed that Stidham didn't live up to my expectations, but at the same time I won't be disappointed that Sean White is our starter. 

Either way, we have depth at the position this year. Real depth, and that's a luxury in this league. Should take a lot of pressure off of everyone, honestly. 

This is exactly how I feel. SW has the edge on experience for sure. That is about it. I tend to believe JS as a freshman was/is as good as any QB on our roster skill wise.

I don't really care which one starts.  The beauty of the situation we are in now is that if one is hurt, and let's face it Sean has a history, we have another in the on deck circle with a similar skill set.  The offense doesn't have to change.  If Gus had made a decision before the first game last year and we had a backup with a similar skill set I have no doubt we were in the playoff with a good chance to win it.  The defense played plenty good enough to win every game if the offense had played every game like they were playing during the 6 game stretch in the middle of the season when Sean was the starter and he was healthy.  Gus cost us the Clemson game with the QB fiasco.  Sean's injury cost us the UGA and Bammer games.  Without those problems we very well win it all.  

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is exactly how I feel. SW has the edge on experience for sure. That is about it. I tend to believe JS as a freshman was/is as good as any QB on our roster skill wise.

I'd go as far as to say better, skill wise. His film speaks for itself. If he can handle the pressure and learn the new offense he should be the best QB we've seen in blue and orange since 2010. Sean will literally have to be significantly better than he was last year to have a shot at besting him.

22 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Even the most adamant SW supporters have to admit that JS has a huge advantage at this point. 

As a member of the Sean White 4 Eva Tramp Stamp club, I have no problem with this, or in saying- as @lionheartkc has- that Stidham is likely an upgrade over Sean. 

I just personally put Sean's inadequacies as a *healthy quarterback pretty far down the list of reasons for our offensive woes the last 2 years. 

*Yeah, that durability is a problem for real. 

40 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The reaction will be way different IMO. There are probably very few AU fans going into this spring that thinks SW, who is hurt and will miss all of spring practice, will start in 2017 over JS. Even the most adamant SW supporters have to admit that JS has a huge advantage at this point. 

Back in 08 there was a big debate, I remember. But the reaction when Todd was named starter (while bad) was not near what it will be if SW is named starter over JS, especially if JS has a strong spring. This place will melt so hard we may have to go back to aunation because you won't be able to login to aufamily. It will shut down. 

I hear ya. Only one way to find out, I suppose! We likely won't get that chance though, and I ain't mad at it.

Also, per my signature, LONG LIVE AUNATION.NET!

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh dear. If anyone has read my thoughts on this before, feel free to stop now. 

How many times has a healthy Sean White competed against an upper echelon team as the starting QB? (I add that second disclaimer because Gus, in all his infinite wisdom, didn't actually let Sean start against Clemson last year.)

No, we haven't been an average team the last few years. In 2015, when Sean got his first ever snap as a college QB in the 4th game of the season as the starter, we were a bad team. Duke Williams was WR1. Behind him were such legends as Tony Stevens and Marcus Davis. We had a center who had never played the position before, and who had the starting QB- and game plan- changed on him in week 4. We had nothing but freshmen at RB, HB and TE. Well, except Jovon Robinson, who magically couldn't find the field for most of the year. Sean was supposed to succeed on that team? As a redshirt freshman? And yet, he actually played really well until he got hurt. 

We were a much better team in 2016, thanks in large part to Sean White. We were a freaking top 10 team going into the UGA game! That's not "very good"? Despite Gus crapping the bed against Clemson? But Sean got hurt again and we never stood a chance against UGA or bama. And then Sean started off great against OU, but got hurt yet again. 

So yes, the dude is injury prone. He misses 30+ yard passes on par with most good QBs, especially when he's throwing to freshmen. No denying it. I just don't understand why people have to take it further than that. 

good post!

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

So in other words, its everyone's else fault. Got it. Wow we were a top ten team before we lost 3 straight. Think that means we were truly not a top ten team? It's just my opinion but I think we need an upgrade at the QB position. If JS is not it, we are in for same type season. I mean we threw for the fewest yards in the SEC last season; yes play calling, yes freshman receiver, but also yes to the QB play.

The coaching, lack of development, absence of preparing a back-up QB, and piss poor playing calling to the point that it was detrimental to the whole offense are the main areas that need serious upgrade.  

An upgrade in talent at the QB position is desired, an upgrade at the coaching level is critical. 

Word to Gus, let Chip do his job - tell him what you want and let the man get it done.

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Well, let's be honest, he's not going to be on the depth chart this season. Last season, it was a necessity.

My point is, that Gus was so committed to not committing to a quarterback last year, that our offense never got to take on the identity of our quarterback. Instead, our different quarterbacks were being put in situations where they needed to adjust to our offense. If that makes sense. 

Going to back to Franklin's recruitment, I felt like he was being recruited because of his speed and potential at QB.  Given Gus' love of sweeps, I expected that to be his role even last year if he did not pan out at QB.  Then we kept hearing how much Gus was working with him.  That made me think Gus was committed (possibly out of desperation) to Franklin being Nick Marshall: the Sequel.  The season ended up playing out that way too.  2016 seemed like Gus was using Sean White in the meantime until Franklin could take over, which obviously ended up never happening.

18 hours ago, meh130 said:

The huge difference this year if White is names the starter is the fact we will have a solid backup in Stidham.

We had no reliable BU QB in 2016, and with White's injuries, it hurt us.

Yup. And that goes both ways. If Stidham is starter, then we have a very solid backup in Sean White.  As for my opinion, I think folks who write Sean off and pencil JS in as starter as though it's no contest are making a mistake.  Folks were critical of White for not having bigger numbers in the passing game, but I'm of the opinion that his passing numbers were quite good given the system he was playing in and what he was asked to do.  White can spin it too, with accuracy.  I wouldn't be shocked to see him come out on top at the end of fall camp.  Of course I wouldn't be shocked to see JS as starter either. Regardless, I'd say AU is in good shape at QB this fall with these two, plus Barrett and (if healthy) Tyler Queen as well.  (JF3? I see JF3 on the field somehow, but not necessarily at QB.)

5 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Coaches have to play the player that performs the best in practice and if they can't do it during the game(and how do you know this until they are IN a game?), you make a change.  If not, then why even practice?

It's called "live contact" in practice...aka, no orange jersey.  At this point in his career, GM can't take that risk with JS and obviously not with SW.  And, his track record in using practice performance to gauge game performance hasn't been the best.

16 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

My reaction would be what happened to Jarrett Stidham? Unless he is injured, i dont think anyone starts over JS. 

my reaction would be well dang guess gus is just as involved as ever in the "development" of Qbs and could not just let Chip do his thing. Gus ruined another one!

11 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

It's called "live contact" in practice...aka, no orange jersey.  At this point in his career, GM can't take that risk with JS and obviously not with SW.  And, his track record in using practice performance to gauge game performance hasn't been the best.

Maybe you should reread the context of what I was saying… I was talking about JJ and Keihl Frazier ..,they were the players that steel sighted in his post...and I agree with you concerning both SW and JS..but regardless of the player, their practice performance is all any coach can go by...some players are great in practice… And not very good in games… But you won't know this until they're in an actual game. 

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't believe in 'he earned it' when it comes to being successful in the real games. JJ and Kiehl Frazier earned it too, and they fell apart at some time or simply could not be successful on the field. And i am sure there have been others 'who earned it' but simply lacked the on field presence to win games and not turn the ball over.

I think a lot of times coaches know they have named a starter, but know too, that they are rolling the dice, because their QBs are simply not consistent or have the top level skills that some QBs have when they are signed. They just know and hope the ones they have to teach, eventually develop into a winning QB.

19 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Even when you go live contact, it's not the same as a real, game time situation.  There's nothing on the line during practice, it's your defense, so you have a pretty good idea of what they are going to throw at you, and you know your guys aren't going to see how much damage they can do if they do hit you.

Gus's only real failure translating a player from practice to game was Jeremy. 

I think an unreasonable expectation is being put upon JS. He has barely been on campus, yet alone played any type of football in the last 12 to 18 months. Some of you talk like JS is coming in already with the key to the city, SW has been shown the door and WB is the invisible man. It is only spring guys, I know we don't have a lot to talk about but jeez, let's not turn over the keys to the castle just yet. I don't care if he is CN 2.0 and everyone knows it, I want him to earn every single bit of it. I want WB on his hip pushing him everyday. In the fall I want SW making him dial it in. Then if CCL says he is the man so be it. But if It is someone else, say, WB, then he is not the savior every thought he was and we must put our support behind who earned it and move forward. I am not putting a lot of stock in who comes out on top this spring.  I am waiting until 2 weeks before the season starts when like every year Gus announces the starter and I accept who it is, regardless.  War Eagle fellas, long way to go, let's enjoy the competition and see who earns it!

Whatever expectation anyone is putting on Jarrett, or even if he is doing it himself, it's obvious his skill set and upside are superior to any other QB on the current roster, or that has been on the roster for a while. He may or may not pan out, but he gives this offense the best shot at opening up the play book and using the entire field.  I'll take that. 

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

Maybe you should reread the context of what I was saying…

Same.  My main point was regardless of the QB, if you never go "live contact" in practice, then their practice tells you NOTHING about their ability to perform in a game.  Now going contact in practice isn't the same as a real game either, but it's a helluva lot closer than going no contact and throwing against air.

speaking of pressure...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18789888/auburn-tigers-jarrett-stidham-top-spring-newcomers-way-too-early-top-25-teams

They go through every team on the top 25. You have probably already seen this. Under his picture:

"Every top 25 team has a player or two who could come in and immediately improve the roster. But perhaps no single player in the country could have the impact of ex-Baylor QB Jarrett Stidham at Auburn. Julie Bennett /AL.com via AP"

13 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Same.  My main point was regardless of the QB, if you never go "live contact" in practice, then their practice tells you NOTHING about their ability to perform in a game.  Now going contact in practice isn't the same as a real game either, but it's a helluva lot closer than going no contact and throwing against air.

Agreed...

22 hours ago, gravejd said:

I don't understand why Sean being named the starter would be meet by anything other than support from AU fans. If he is named started than that means the coaches think he is the best option. It would probably mean he was the best option by a large margin as I don't see him getting the nod if it is close. Coaches have been trying their best to not play Sean for 2 years now. Would love to see him transfer and show the coaches how good he can be with the right offense and support

Here in lied the problem. 

First, I feel that almost all of us would be supportive as AU fans whoever is named the QB, and yes there will ALWAYS be 'Nancy Negatives' with any decision. But that is not the issue. It's the fact given history that SW simply can't finish games or the season without injury, and that hurts the teams offensive continuity.

Second, at times this coaching staff has NOT made the best option at QB. To say they have is not been proven consistently. K. Frazier a few years back, JJ 2 years ago, and this past year when they decided 'musical QBs' was the best way to beat Clemson. SW should have started that game, and stayed until he proved he made too many mistakes or injury.

Again, no one says he isnt a good leader, gutsy, and efficient QB for us.  I think now, we may have the right offense (we will see), but unless JS doesnt prove to be as good or better than SW, then SW may never get that opportunity.

But he has been given the chance at times the last 2 years to BE that QB, and his body simply couldnt make it through. Not his fault or the coaches.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Second, at times this coaching staff has NOT made the best option at QB. To say they have is not been proven consistently. K. Frazier a few years back, JJ 2 years ago, and this past year when they decided 'musical QBs' was the best way to beat Clemson. SW should have started that game, and stayed until he proved he made too many mistakes or injury.

What year did Kiehl Frazier start as QB for Auburn? Which coaching staff moved him to safety? Who should have started in front of JJ in 2015?

Hopefully, this will be my last comment about this (can't guarantee I won't get riled up and post again though..lol).  GM could name Will Hastings the starter at QB and I'm gonna pull just as hard for Auburn and yell just as loud for them at games.  Who our preference for starting QB is, is in no way indicative of our loyalty or degree of support for Auburn football.  The people that are hoping for JS to be named the starter are the ones that look at bottom line results.  SW has been the main guy overall for the last two years and we have finished 7-6 and 8-5 and lost to Georgia/Bama again.  Whether or not that is SW's fault is irrelevant, just as it is irrelevant whether it is GM's fault due to circumstances beyond his control (injuries, QB mental issues, player ego's not panning out, etc.).  The buck stops with the Head Coach and then with the QB regardless of actual facts/responsibility.

The hope with JS is that he has a higher ceiling than SW and will take the team to the 10 or more wins that 5 straight top ten recruiting classes should be achieving.  So, if SW does win the starting spot, the disappointment will not be that SW has won the spot, but that JS wasn't an upgrade to SW and we are still probably looking at a subpar 10 win season and losses to our traditional rivals again.  I know the defenders will come and make the excuses for SW's record and cite facts that prove he is capable of more, but like I said earlier, production-wise. in the bottom line W/L column, it hasn't appeared thus far.

So JS represents hope, and SW means more of the same (at this point until production proves otherwise).  So it's not dissing SW to hope JS is the clear winner and an upgrade, which we ASSUME will manifest in better production (W/L record and beating rivals).  We're all gonna pull and root for Auburn regardless of starting QB.  We'll just complain more if it isn't our guy and we stay mediocre.

Archived