Question at Left Guard

ellitor

Left guard 'a question mark' for Auburn

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | Looking to replace two starters on the offensive line, Herb Hand feels like he’s found a rising star at right guard but is still looking for more production at the left guard position.

With senior Braden Smith moving to right tackle this spring, Hand has inserted sophomore Mike Horton at right guard and been very pleased with the results. Horton was used as the Tigers’ sixth offensive lineman last fall, playing in 12 games.

“He's been doing a great job in his development and his execution, his understanding of the offense,” said Hand Auburn’s second-year offensive line coach. “I think Mike has a very high ceiling as well. I love coaching Mike. He's a coachable guy and he wants to be great.”

Sophomore Marquel Harrell, who played in four games as a backup last season, has been with the first-team at left guard for most of spring practice.

Kgfnqtg07rw8i4txfemn
Hand is stressing fundamentals and building versatility into his o-line this spring.
Jay G. Tate/AuburnSports.com

“That left guard spot right now is probably the biggest piece of the puzzle we still have to figure out and sort out,” Hand said. "We've got a few guys that have been repping there and Marquel is one of those guys. I love Marquel's attitude and his work ethic.

“He's got to continue to develop from a technique and fundamental standpoint. In terms of want-to and desire, the guy works his tail off. He'll be fine. It's just is he ready to take over that spot where you had a rock there in Alex Kozan for so many years? That's a question mark for us right now.”

Hand will have some options at left guard going into fall camp in August if Harrell isn’t quite ready to assume a starting position, and much of them will depend on what happens at left tackle.

Senior Darius James started the final nine games at left tackle last fall and has played there for most of the spring while also getting some reps at right tackle. If sophomore Prince Tega develops enough to be a starter, he could step in at left tackle and allow James to move to right tackle or guard.

Another possibility is California grad transfer Aaron Cochran, who started at left tackle for an offense that threw the ball more than 600 times last fall. If Cochran chooses Auburn over Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, he could fit in at left tackle, allowing James to move.

Horton has also worked at left guard this spring and Smith was a first-team All-SEC right guard last season, giving Hand plenty of options. There’s also Calvin Ashley, Auburn’s top-rated signee in the 2017 class, who Hand said will work at left tackle when he arrives this summer.

“Right now, (James) is playing left and right tackle, that gives us a little bit of flexibility there,” Hand said. “Tega is really pushing him right now at left tackle as well, which gives us flexibility. What you want out of your guard, particularly in this conference, are guys that can move the point and reestablish the line of scrimmage against the three-techniques and noseguard and one-techniques that we play against.

“Darius is physical enough to do that if we needed him to. He thinks he can play anywhere. Right now, he's focusing on left tackle and right tackle and as we get into fall camp we'll sort this other stuff out.”

With as many realistic options as we have, that question will be answered. If not this Spring, it's because they wanna wait and see if Ashley is ready to start at LT in the SEC as a TF. 

53 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

With as many realistic options as we have, that question will be answered. If not this Spring, it's because they wanna wait and see if Ashley is ready to start at LT in the SEC as a TF. 

Looks more like they want to get the transfer Cochran, plug him at LT, & not have to use CA as a true frosh.

I would love to see us get Cochran so that we could Red-Shirt CA or have others step up so we could Red-Shirt CA.  CA starting the year after as a Red-Shirt freshman we would get a great player for 2-4 years without the pain of learning on the job the first year. 

Some coach said that you can pencil in a loss for every freshman you start, or something to that effect.  So unless CA is just a monster, I'd rather see him redshirt also.  I really hope they get the O-line figured out ASAP.  

@ellitor What are the chances on getting Cochran and how good is he?

37 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

@ellitor What are the chances on getting Cochran and how good is he?

Don't know the answer to either question. He has another visit left & I never watched Cal play.

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm worried about our o line

we better get that behemoth from Cal here PRONTO

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm worried about our o line

Me too. It's never a good sign to try to bring in 2 1-year band aids at a position group.

We have 3 guys (James, Smith and Golson) who we know are solid starters ad not only solid but flexible so they can work in at more than one place.  Everything we hear about Horton is that he is solid at one guard spot.  Surely Hand can find one more guy to work in with those 4 at some spot.  If nothing else Dunn takes over at center this fall and Golson moves back to tackle.  

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

Me too. It's never a good sign to try to bring in 2 1-year band aids at a position group.

I agree and I'm not trying to bash the coach or anything but I also had concerns that the best line up last year happened because of injury. I'm just hoping he really knows what he's doing. This upcoming season is pretty important as establishing us and us gaining momentum as a program IMO

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I agree and I'm not trying to bash the coach or anything but I also had concerns that the best line up last year happened because of injury. I'm just hoping he really knows what he's doing. This upcoming season is pretty important as establishing us and us gaining momentum as a program IMO

I unliked this just so I could like it again.

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I unliked this just so I could like it again.

JB Grimes never gave me this much anxiety just saying . However , Herb Hand has needed credentials. Just got to trust the process .

I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about the intricacies of O-line play, but surely he must be doing something right to get the stamp of approval from Willie Anderson, assuming this isn't just a public relations pitch.

7 hours ago, cole256 said:

I think the key to the whole year Is at the offensive line (yeah duh I got it) but this year all the other players (positions) are in place to have the makings of a great year.  If CHH can't figure out the line matrix then it does not matter what who we have in the backfield or throwing or catching the ball. 

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Fear not you damsels in distress.  A big, strong Prince will show up and rescue us.

It could happen. Heck, we have two chances.

Sorry if weird, but

Queen sacrifice for Knights is generally an end-game strategy.

2 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Sorry if weird, but

Queen sacrifice for Knights is generally an end-game strategy.

Queen?  Knights?  I'm talkin about Princes.

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Queen?  Knights?  I'm talkin about Princes.

Acknowledged and understood.

WDE

Just now, AUinTLoosa said:

Acknowledged and understood.

WDE

You aint hered?  Our Queen done transfered.  Wernt gonna play guard or tackle no how.  We aint got no Knight.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

JB Grimes never gave me this much anxiety just saying . However , Herb Hand has needed credentials. Just got to trust the process .

I hated losing JB,thought he was damn good coach.

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, ellitor said:

We will be fine when it all plays out. I think the young man from Cal is likely headed our way. Think about it. why would he want to go to the other schools of which are no doubt significant step downs from Auburn.

6 hours ago, doc4aday said:

We will be fine when it all plays out. I think the young man from Cal is likely headed our way. Think about it. why would he want to go to the other schools of which are no doubt significant step downs from Auburn.

Higher % chance of starting for those schools.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Higher % chance of starting for those schools.

But don't you think that the chance to play for an SEC school that very well could win the SEC and who knows what else? The chance of this happening at the other schools listed is extremely unlikely compared to Auburn. Auburn is Auburn and not other school can offer the magic we have to offer!

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

But don't you think that the chance to play for an SEC school that very well could win the SEC and who knows what else? The chance of this happening at the other schools listed is extremely unlikely compared to Auburn. Auburn is Auburn and not other school can offer the magic we have to offer!

It could but he has made it clear he is transferring to be a starting OT, not to sit the bench & waist his last year of college ball.

Archived