Question at Left Guard

ellitor

On 3/31/2017 at 5:25 PM, icanthearyou said:

You aint hered?  Our Queen done transfered.  Wernt gonna play guard or tackle no how.  We aint got no Knight.

Sorry. Guess this site ain't a chess board.

Though old (eh?), and largely limited to what's said here, I did hear about Mr. Queen. Also heard we're low on (lower-case here) queens that can quickly and personally get anywhere (in straight lines) on the board in a heartbeat. Preparation for end game (as the board gets more cluttered and chaotic), often includes a "castle," in which (again, lower-case here) knights (with techniques and maneuverabilities unique among all players in the game) "defend" the offensive center.

I hope we got/get some knights.

Apologies for vague, and 

WDE

ETA - Told ya it was weird.

29 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It could but he has made it clear he is transferring to be a starting OT, not to sit the bench & waist his last year of college ball.

Do you think he is talented enough to come here and start?  I think Gus & Herb would probably tell him he can be a starting OT if he comes in and earns it. If he is that good to earn a starting OT spot, it could give us the latitude to move some other OLs around to develop superior depth on the line.

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Sorry. Guess this site ain't a chess board.

Though old (eh?), and largely limited to what's said here, I did hear about Mr. Queen. Also heard we're low on (lower-case here) queens that can quickly and personally get anywhere (in straight lines) on the board in a heartbeat. Preparation for end game (as the board gets more cluttered and chaotic), often includes a "castle," in which (again, lower-case here) knights (with techniques and maneuverabilities unique among all players in the game) "defend" the offensive center.

I hope we got/get some knights.

Apologies for vague, and 

WDE

ETA - Told ya it was weird.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Do you think he is talented enough to come here and start?  I think Gus & Herb would probably tell him he can be a starting OT if he comes in and earns it. If he is that good to earn a starting OT spot, it could give us the latitude to move some other OLs around to develop superior depth on the line.

Those other schools are probably telling him it's his day 1, no questions asked.

1 hour ago, AuTiger_1998 said:

Buddy of mine said if he is all that why did he not declare for the draft.

My only guess is that he wants to improve his draft position. He's only started 16 games his whole career, and they threw the ball a LOT last year at Cal. Maybe he's been told that he needs to put more quality run blocking on film. Now, if the followup question is "Why has he only started 16 games?", yeah, I don't know. 

10 hours ago, AuTiger_1998 said:

Buddy of mine said if he is all that why did he not declare for the draft.

Nobody has said nor implied he's all that but we don't have established OTs. The one who is pretty good they would like to move to Guard if they can.

So for some info to throw onto the debate for Cochran, now these stats are not of him directly but of the whole Cal offensive line.  Yet they should give some insight since he was the starting left tackle on a prolific passing team. 

Oct 27 - USC 45 vs Cal 24

Davis Webb 34/53 333 YDS, 2 TD, 1 INT

Cal - 142 yards rushing, 1 fumble

USC - 0 Sacks, 5 TFL, 2 QBH

Nov 5 - #5 Washington 66 vs Cal 27

Davis Webb 23/46 262 YDS, 1 TD, 3 INT

Cal - 100 yards rushing, 1 fumble

Washington - 1 SACK, 2 TFL, 6 QBH

Nov 12 - #23 WSU 56 vs Cal 21

Webb 34/53 425 YDS, 3 TDS, 1INT

Cal - 100 yards rushing

WSU - 1 SACK, 6 TFL, 4 QBH