Lorenzo Fergeson?

PowerI

I know we signed him last summer and their was quite a bit of talk about him playing next year. I was looking on rivals at our recruiting class from 2004 and it had him listed as a 4 star safety. Has anybody heard anything on him. Does anybody think he will start?

Here is part of an article from the Decauter Dailey from August 2004 that gives a little backround of how we got him.

A Tiger added Monday

Among the 25 to report Thursday is one late addition. The Tigers signed Florida high school cornerback Lorenzo Ferguson on Monday.

Ferguson of Miami's Southridge High School planned to sign with LSU in February. LSU asked him to wait until next year to sign because of a broken ankle.

Auburn began recruiting him in late June. He recovered from the ankle injury sooner than expected.

Ferguson, a 6-foot-3, 195-pound senior, considered offers from LSU and Florida before breaking his ankle Nov. 14.

He decided he wanted to play this year instead of waiting until January to sign with LSU, and visited Auburn and Rutgers this summer.

"I started calling around to see who had a scholarship open," Ferguson said.

A four-year starter, Ferguson had three interceptions as a senior and was a third-team Florida all-state performer.

He is listed on the roster as a DB and wound up not being ready to play afterall (redshirt). I thought I heard from somewhere that he did wind up playing some on the scout team and he had people talking.

IMHO we will be seeing him on the field a bunch.

:au::au::au:

CTT has a way with picking up Prize recruits in the off season after signing day!

First Zo Ferguson, now

Robert Dunn.

Who is robert dunn?

Only the 2004 Georgia all-class player of the year!!!

Yes including beating out tray blackmon!!

Just needs to get his grades up. With his GPA, he needs around 900-1000 on SAT to qualify! has really shaped up after some hard lessons in life!

The mold of a Mark Clayton or Josh Reed!

5'11", 185, 4.45

20 tds in 12 games last season!

We got a good one!!

got this from ITAT.

Web posted Friday, December 24, 2004

By Jeff Sentell | Staff Writer

Robert Dunn of Laney High School is like a treasured Christmas gift.

Laney's Robert Dunn (19) eluded Greater Atlanta Christian defenders for one of his 10 playoff touchdowns this season.

Kevin Martin/File

On the inside The Augusta Chronicle Georgia Player of the Year is Grade-A all-America football player. Dunn scored 20 touchdowns this year. Once out of every five times he touched the football, he took it to the end zone.

He scored on receptions, kickoff returns, running plays and interceptions. He had dominant games in nine of his team's 10 victories. The senior wide receiver was at his best when the games mattered the most. Dunn scored 10 times in the 2004 Georgia High School Association Class AA playoffs, leading Laney to its second semifinal appearance at the Georgia Dome in three seasons.

But the crux of his life now has little to do with football. He's plenty good enough to play college football one day.

If only it were as easy as just playing football.

The task right now is getting such a gifted young player in the hands of the right university. His skills make him a wanted man.

"Robert can play not just on Saturdays, but Sundays," Laney coach Eric Parker said. "There's no doubt in my mind he can get rich chasing a football."

Yet there is hesitation about a player with 43 career touchdowns and a highlight tape filled with solid gold credentials.

The wrapping and packaging around the football player have issues.

Dunn was under house arrest all season. He played with a tracking collar on his ankle that monitored every move. He had to adhere to a strict 8 p.m. curfew on nights he wasn't playing football.

He did so because of mistakes. Dunn's future is cloudy because of poor choices, ill-chosen friendships and being in the wrong place at the wrong time in life.

He was charged as an accessory to thefts of stolen property. He went to pick up a friend late one night for a favor, not to transport stolen goods.

Dunn discharged a firearm into the air in a McDonald's parking lot. A group of about 20 people were rushing the vehicle he was riding in and banging on the windows. Dunn was cited for what he believed to be an act of self-defense.

"Those were mistakes that have shown me pretty clearly what all I have to lose in life," Dunn said.

Dunn was asked how he'd let a college football coach know all about these missteps in his life.

He exhales with a breath deep enough to blow out a candle for each of his 1,824 career receiving yards.

Coming clean

Dunn would start from the beginning. He grew up in inner-city Augusta. He was raised by just his mother. Sherrell Dunn has seen hard times of her own, including two trips to jail.

But she didn't lead him to trouble.

The demands of a single parent with financial issues were too much to still have the time to keep such a mercurial football player from trouble.

"My mom has never been a bad parent," Dunn said. "When I did something wrong, she would knock my head off my shoulders. It starts when a parent can't be in contact 24 hours a day. A parent is at work. The kid is at school. That leaves the kid around somebody besides the parent. That's when trouble started creeping in my life. Being around the wrong people."

Dunn has seen three people murdered with his own eyes, including a friend about to sign a rap contract to Universal Records when he was 12 years old.

"I'd let that coach know every crack of my life," he said. "I'm not hiding it. If a total stranger came up to me and asked me about the trouble I have seen and gotten into, I'd tell them about it.

"Most people would tell them to mind their business. Not me. I take responsibility for the dumb things I have done. People come up to me and congratulate me for the things I'm good at. I've got to be willing to come clean with my mistakes, too."

Obstacles

Dunn does not believe in players whose talents are so great that big football programs take the good with the bad.

Willie Williams was embraced by Miami last season with a rap sheet 10 times longer than his Dunn's.

"I don't think you can ever be good enough at a sport to cover up or make up for what you have done wrong," he said.

When Dunn reaches a point in his probation where he's allowed to remove that tracking collar from his ankle, he'll miss it.

It's a reminder of the consequences in his life. He plans to buy a gold bracelet and strap it to that same ankle to never forget the feeling.

"I don't want to cover up my past," Dunn said.

He has lived through his troubles. He has a 2-year-old daughter to think of. She is one of the few highlights of his life right now off the football field. It's another reminder to run 100 miles an hour in the other direction when troubles tries to find him.

"Trouble is easy to get into but it is hard as hell to get out of," Sherrell Dunn said. "Robert's going to get out of it. We all have faith. He takes his future a whole lot more seriously now."

His current attitude is the product of some serious soul-searching over his most trying season. He's in church every Sunday. He listens.

But his college future is not as simple as a string of months and years of model behavior. The best football player in our part of Georgia is also faced with a fourth-quarter comeback in the classroom.

Grades

Dunn is enigmatic in many ways. His freshman- and senior-year grades show the work of a B student.

He took the SAT for the first time this fall and scored 840 without any preparation. He's now taking his first SAT prep courses. It's possible he could score 950 or even 1,000 with more tries.

It shows he's capable of handling college and college football. But a grade-point average that took some hits in his sophomore year and junior years clouds that academic picture.

In the 13 college prep units required by the NCAA Clearinghouse, his GPA is around 2.0.

It will take an minimum SAT score of 900 to qualify with that GPA on an NCAA sliding scale.

Laney's teachers are being hard on him.

He wasn't allowed to leave French class one day this month to greet a visitor until he finished an exam. He got a 100.

A new goal line

Dunn rising above it all is not a foreign concept to those who know him best.

His mentor, Clinton Brown, put up the property bond from jail the afternoon before Dunn won a football game the next night against Butler. Brown's given his direction and guidance as well.

"I owe that man my life," Dunn said. "He's shown me the most so far in life about what it means to be a man and to act like one."

It would serve him well at the next level.

"Robert can succeed on a college campus with or without football," Parker said. "I see him enjoying the life of a student going to libraries and doing research. Maybe being part of a fraternity. He's kind of gotten robbed of that sort of life growing up through high school."

It's similar to the response he gave to a different question:

How would you want your life story to end?

"First, I wouldn't change a thing," Dunn said. "Sounds crazy. But I think I needed to learn these lessons right now. I was bound to get caught for the mistakes I was making.

"If I never got caught this summer, it could be at a more critical time in my life. When I did get caught not thinking of the consequences of my actions, it might have stung a whole lot worse than it has now."

He sounds like a person determined to let every one know he's already made the worst mistakes of his life.

But it's not so he can score touchdowns. He'd like to be a lawyer one day.

"Robert Dunn's life story ends with him going to college and getting his degrees and becoming successful," Dunn said. "He gets married. He has kids and dies of old age. That's the perfect ending."

Meet Robert Dunn

The 2004 Augusta Chronicle Georgia Football Player of the Year

Hgt: 5-11

Wgt: 180

Position: Wide receiver/cornerback

Team: Laney

Year: Senior

All-area statline: Scored 20 overall touchdowns in the equivalent of 12 games this season. 54 catches for 937 yards and 10 TDs receiving. Scored 10 playoff touchdowns this year.

Player's choice

A few favorites of the 2004 Georgia Player of the Year.

Favorite food: Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo

Favorite movie: Scarface

Favorite football player: Terrell Owens

Favorite football play: 82 Z Quick: It's Robert's signature play. It was an early call every game to just get his hands on the football. It's a one-to-two yard stop route that gets him isolated one-on-one with an opposing cornerback. Dunn juked that lone defender for big gains many times this year.

Favorite team: New England Patriots

Favorite Christmas Gift: A scholarship offer to play football for the University of South Carolina

Is there a link to something saying we have signed him?

Sounds like a good player. I hope Tubs knows what he is doing and can keep him in line. Guess he earlier had his heart set on going to South Carolina. Wonder why Spurrier passed on him?

Is he a RB, WR, DB or all of these?

Guess he earlier had his heart set on going to South Carolina. Wonder why Spurrier passed on him?

Is he a RB, WR, DB or all of these?

145997[/snapback]

Grades were in the toilet and was getting in trouble.

Many coaches passed on him.

However, Tubbs stuck with him (ie jacobs) and we inked him.

he is listed on scout.com, but no picture, no stars.

Hope the kid stays true to his word and cleans his act up....tuberville is known not to recruit players with bad histories...which makes this move interesting. I guess tubs really believes what he says.

Hope the kid stays true to his word and cleans his act up....tuberville is known not to recruit players with bad histories...which makes this move interesting.  I guess tubs really believes what he says.

146050[/snapback]

I agree. I could not help be reminded of another great receiver that we had that could never get it together when I heard about the gun incident. That player's name was Deandre Green. I remember how much talent he had, but he could never get it together. Tuberville gave him several chances to get his act together, but he never could. He ended up transferring to Murray State and I have never heard from him since. It's a shame. I hope this is not another Deandre.

Archived