Correcting red zone failures

aubiefifty

alexcityoutlook.com

Auburn’s red zone failures must be corrected

By Staff Reports

By JOE MCADORY

When Auburn failed to convert a third down and 4 at FSU’s 6-yard line late in the 2013-14 national championship game, it was forced to kick a chip-shot field goal for a tenuous 24-20 lead. You can point to FSU’s kickoff return for a go-ahead touchdown seconds later or Jameis Winston’s game-winning pass to Kelvin Benjamin, as defining moments in the 34-31 FSU victory. But, sheesh, if Auburn had just punched it in from inside the 10 on that often-forgotten possession, things could have been much different.

Who knows when Auburn will have another shot at a national title?

In 2014 Auburn drove inside Alabama’s 5-yard line four times in the first half alone – but couldn’t cross the goal line (two touchdowns were long-gainers). Four times Daniel Carlson kicked field goals and the Tigers clung to a 26-21 lead at the half. The Tigers, who rolled up 630 yards on Alabama’s defense, lost by 11.

Coming off an embarrassing defeat in Baton Rouge and desperately needing a win to change the season’s momentum, the Tigers could not afford to let opportunities slip away when Mississippi State traveled to Jordan-Hare Stadium in 2015. But they did.

Auburn drove inside the Bulldog 10 on its first possession, but Sean White tossed his first career interception in the end zone, ending the threat. Auburn failed to score from first and goal at the 2 late in the half, then settled for a pair of 30-yard field goals — not touchdowns — down the stretch. The result? Auburn lost by 8.

Why am I regurgitating this program’s recent red zone (inside the opponents’ 25-yard line) failures? Because they cost Auburn key games, was a problem again in 2016 (though final scores were never a factor this time), and could rear its ugly head again in the future.

Auburn scored touchdowns on 22 of 36 (61 percent) red zone possessions in 2014 SEC games with Nick Marshall and Cameron Artis-Payne churning the yards. Failures inside the 25 contributed to defeats versus Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Alabama (but we’ve been over that one).

Auburn scored touchdowns on just 14 of 29 (48 percent) red zone possessions in 2015 SEC games, though this team struggled just to get to the red zone at all.

Auburn scored touchdowns on just 14 of 28 (50 percent … but you knew that, right?) red zone possessions in SEC games last season. If we do the math, Auburn has scored touchdowns on just 50 of its last 93 red zone attempts in conference games. That’s not enough, particularly when you have first downs inside the opponent’s 10-yard line.

One would think that with bruising 240-pound running back Kamryn Pettway returning, the Tigers will be more potent closer to the goal line. Then again, one would think that defenses would key on the big guy inside the 5.

So where does the red zone problem lie? Do hurry-up, no-huddle teams that operate from the shotgun have muscle problems near the goal line, where the field is no longer stretched? Perhaps. I remember when Nebraska’s power offense of the 1990s could line up, tell the defense where it was running, then run over them anyway. Does Auburn’s offensive philosophy inside the 5 and 10 need to change? Does the Power-I need to make a cameo from time to time?

Some feel that this Auburn team has a chance to compete with the SEC’s heavyweights. Maybe so. But if the Tigers’ red zone problems aren’t figured out, this team might be asking “what if?” again next January.

Joe McAdory is communications editor at Auburn University’s Harbert College of Business.

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I remember when Nebraska’s power offense of the 1990s could line up, tell the defense where it was running, then run over them anyway. Does Auburn’s offensive philosophy inside the 5 and 10 need to change? Does the Power-I need to make a cameo from time to time?

There is a lot to pick apart in that article but I will start with these statements. While Nebraska was great, the competition is the true measuring stick. I am pretty sure even the mighty Nebraska could not line up and simply run over LSU, AL, and Clemson (on our schedule last year). Times are different and the SEC is a dominant force of mass and speed these days. Every team is decent, and there are no patsies.

Our running game has not been the problem since Gus has been at AU. If anything we are usually the team that runs over teams (the bad ones anyway). Our main problem IMO has been that we are so predictable on offense that teams are selling out on the run. They stack 9 in the box. If the team you are playing has the players and knows what is coming, you are not going to get anywhere. Also with our lack of quality QB play (after NM left) we have been even more limited in the passing game which makes scoring that much more difficult. 

But to my original point - the SEC is basically a pre-nfl league, and you have to be diverse on offense or you will struggle to score. Period. 

5 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Just score from the 30.

That's actually been Gus's MO a lot of the time. He's been overly dependent on the home run. And, perhaps, I'm just restating what you already said...

When you get to the goalline, I believe these are the best options. The offense needs to spread the field in the shotgun and run and have a QB run pass option, QB Powers and have tight-ends in the slot and as lead blockers in motion on the wing.  The defense has to think about three options, is th qb keeping it, is the running back keeping it, or is the tight end going to rub and then catch a pass on a fake and you can do the same with a fullback.

If you are going to run it, then, yeah power I is effective with a big, fast lineman in as the fullback.  Also, you could have the fb in motion as the same scenario before.  My point is, plays where linebackers have to stop and think are the best goal line plays in my personal opinion, because you freeze them, this allows time for the linemen to jack them up and give them a jumpstart on creating push.

with a new oc, probably a new qb  things should look different. the redzone should look different too. Gus is actually counting on it imo.

I may pass out from joy if we come out under center when we need just need to move the ball forward anywhere from 1 inch to 1 yard. Those wildcat sets are way too easy to jump the snap and blow up.  All you have to do is time it with the sweep guy and boom you're in the backfield untouched.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I may pass out from joy if we come out under center when we need just need to move the ball forward anywhere from 1 inch to 1 yard. Those wildcat sets are way too easy to jump the snap and blow up.  All you have to do is time it with the sweep guy and boom you're in the backfield untouched.

Yep, I have been saying the same thing basically for a while now. I absolutely hate the shotgun snap inside the 5 yard line. All it does is give the d-line and backers an extra 2 seconds to get in the backfield and plug the run gaps. Useless in this offense.:dead:

It really is a function of how dynamic the offense is. In the red zone the field is shorter. There is less need for deep zones--they will not stop much. There is more reason to use man coverage, or Cover 0 with four or five in zone coverage. This frees up six to stuff gaps against the run or blitz.

It also can make option running more difficult because there is less distance for defenders to cover in pursuit--they will get there quicker.

The more dynamic the offense, the more unsure the defense is, the more one mistake on the defense will be costly. Play action with an accurate QB can be tough to defend.

If at team is successful with play action in the red zone, they will be more effective running, because the defense must hesitate on the QB/RB handoff/fake. Likewise, an zone read RPO targeting the play-side inside LB could be effective.

It takes a coaching staff who is confident enough to call either a play action pass or a running play or a zone-read RPO with equal confidence.

37 minutes ago, meh130 said:

It really is a function of how dynamic the offense is. In the red zone the field is shorter. There is less need for deep zones--they will not stop much. There is more reason to use man coverage, or Cover 0 with four or five in zone coverage. This frees up six to stuff gaps against the run or blitz.

It also can make option running more difficult because there is less distance for defenders to cover in pursuit--they will get there quicker.

The more dynamic the offense, the more unsure the defense is, the more one mistake on the defense will be costly. Play action with an accurate QB can be tough to defend.

If at team is successful with play action in the red zone, they will be more effective running, because the defense must hesitate on the QB/RB handoff/fake. Likewise, an zone read RPO targeting the play-side inside LB could be effective.

It takes a coaching staff who is confident enough to call either a play action pass or a running play or a zone-read RPO with equal confidence.

Are we there yet?

Sometimes as far as failures it was play calling other times this is when arm strength gets pretty important. Also as far as arm strength goes it's more than just testing seeing a guy throw 70 yards. It's how they do it. You can generate enough velocity by also using your body mass which will take a little longer as far as delivering the ball, and some guys can just zip it just using arm strength. 

From my experience at playing corner in the redzone, especially from 15 yards and closer this is a big, big deal, as far as me being able to defend a pass play

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Sometimes as far as failures it was play calling other times this is when arm strength gets pretty important. Also as far as arm strength goes it's more than just testing seeing a guy throw 70 yards. It's how they do it. You can generate enough velocity by also using your body mass which will take a little longer as far as delivering the ball, and some guys can just zip it just using arm strength. 

See Matthew Stafford. 

To expand upon that, it's also having the ability to throw from a multitude of arm angles and body positions. When you hear someone talk about "arm talent" that's what they mean. Not just the ability to throw it far down the field, like Cole said. 

To me, the most important part about playing quarterback in the red zone is having the ability to extend plays, and not giving up on them. Russell Wilson is really good at this, Ben Roethlisberger is great at it, and Aaron Rogers is probably the best that I've (emphasis on "I've") ever seen.

It takes being at minimum a good athlete, but most importantly, it takes the great awareness and enough maturity to know where to draw the line. That is, awareness of what your protection will allow you to do, awareness of the pass rush, and awareness of what your receivers are doing down field. Then it takes the maturity and experience to extend plays as long as you possibly can. Know when to push the envelope, and know when to throw it away, or tuck and run. 

The guys who are good at it make an art out of it. You can't coach a player to that degree, but it's certainly something that coaching can help improve. 

*sigh* remember when Cam used to do that at AU and early in his Panthers career instead of just taking sacks?

- Salty Panthers fan

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

*sigh* remember when Cam used to do that at AU and early in his Panthers career instead of just taking sacks?

- Salty Panthers fan

His year at Auburn was awe inspiring in that regard, along with just about every other part of his game. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

His year at Auburn was awe inspiring in that regard, along with just about every other part of his game. 

Yup! Between Nick Marshall and Cam Newton it would be a challenge to find guys who extended plays much better than them. And we were so spoiled by Cam there was a large group of people (I was guilty of it too) who didn't even appreciate Nick Marshall for how good he was. Lol I remember a former d1 football player friend of mine would watch AU games with me and ask "How can Nick Marshall be so good and so bad at the same time?" talking about missing easy throws but then also making defenders looking like idiots out there. But I'd take that combo of bad and good any day at this point lol. If we just had a bad defense in 2014 instead of historically terrible we may have been in the playoffs.....ok tangent over my bad lol

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yup! Between Nick Marshall and Cam Newton it would be a challenge to find guys who extended plays much better than them. And we were so spoiled by Cam there was a large group of people (I was guilty of it too) who didn't even appreciate Nick Marshall for how good he was. Lol I remember a former d1 football player friend of mine would watch AU games with me and ask "How can Nick Marshall be so good and so bad at the same time?" talking about missing easy throws but then also making defenders looking like idiots out there. But I'd take that combo of bad and good any day at this point lol. If we just had a bad defense in 2014 instead of historically terrible we may have been in the playoffs.....ok tangent over my bad lol

Yeah they were pretty good, weren't they? 

I'm still curious to see Stidham live. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah they were pretty good, weren't they? 

I'm still curious to see Stidham live. 

I'm looking forward to seeing his pocket presence and how well he improvises.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

I'm looking forward to seeing his pocket presence and how well he improvises.

Exactly what I'm looking forward to. Unfortunately, we won't see it until week 1. No way that kid is live until then. 

14 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Exactly what I'm looking forward to. Unfortunately, we won't see it until week 1. No way that kid is live until then. 

Yeah you're right. C'mon September hurry up!

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Lol I remember a former d1 football player friend of mine would watch AU games with me and ask "How can Nick Marshall be so good and so bad at the same time?" talking about missing easy throws but then also making defenders looking like idiots out there. But I'd take that combo of bad and good any day at this point lol.

I had a lot in common with your friend then, and a lot in common with you now. Well, at least in terms of opinions on Nick Marshall. Athletically, um, maybe notsomuch. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I had a lot in common with your friend then, and a lot in common with you now. Well, at least in terms of opinions on Nick Marshall. Athletically, um, maybe notsomuch. 

Just to be clear I didn't play football but my buddy did lol. I'm purely an observer in that regard haha. It's amazing how much NM's value in the eyes of AU fans has skyrocketed post 2014. I'm part of the crew too I have no shame in admitting it!

4 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Just to be clear I didn't play football but my buddy did lol. I'm purely an observer in that regard haha. It's amazing how much NM's value in the eyes of AU fans has skyrocketed post 2014. I'm part of the crew too I have no shame in admitting it!

I'm there too. I did kinda know how good he was. But what little we had seen of Jeremy to that point just seemed so much better. People always mention his athleticism which was obvious. What is rarely mentioned is Nick was as intelligent of a qb as we have ever had. 

Archived