Grad Transfer Casey Dunn (Merged)

GwillMac6

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You play to win now, not to prepare for next year.

The first time I have ever disagreed with you will be here.  That mindset got us in trouble the years directly after 2010, and somewhat after 2013.  Programs that are here to stay, and not be a flash in the pan are the ones who prepare for years to come.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

The first time I have ever disagreed with you will be here.  That mindset got us in trouble the years directly after 2010, and somewhat after 2013.  Programs that are here to stay, and not be a flash in the pan are the ones who prepare for years to come.

It's a fine line... yes, you have to be prepared for the future, but if you constantly prepare for the future by limiting yourself in the present, you're never going to win. 

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Not sure how I feel about this.  If he is a good player, then lets have him.  But this will mean that if he starts, 3-4 offensive linemen will be gone next year.  .

See, to me it just means that we got a guy who is better than our other guys, which means we made the team better than it was before. 

As for 2010 and 2013, I disagree that recruiting transfers was the problem after those seasons. When I look at the archived classes in the recruiting forum, I don't see roster problems stemming from the transfer guys. I see massive production balanced against minimal production at a rate not dissimilar from what we got out of the high school kids. And it's not like that many high school kids are serious contributors for more than 2 seasons. If JUCO out roughly equals JUCO in, then there's no attrition problem. And if we're worried about attitudes, there's a Mike Dyer or a Dakota Mosley for every Duke Williams and Jovon Robinson. 

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

It's a fine line... yes, you have to be prepared for the future, but if you constantly prepare for the future by limiting yourself in the present, you're never going to win. 

I agree with this. You don't put everything you make in a savings account and not leave enough to live on... you won't make it long enough to get any benefit out of the savings if you do that...

Gus has to win THIS YEAR.  He and his coaching staff are trying to find all of the pieces to make it happen.

I will say this - I thought our starting center played pretty well. 

22 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I will say this - I thought our starting center played pretty well. 

This move wasn't to replace him because he plays poorly, it's to give him the opportunity to play elsewhere because he's better than some of the others who would be playing those positions.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

In my opinion I agree with y Cole cubelic he will provide depth and options depending on how practices go.  As I stated earlier it's more on K. Kim then it is on Golson.  

And if injuries occur and we have to juggle people around. Last year Dampeer could be the back up at center if needed.  I am thinking that Kim is not ready for that back up role and this now gives some needed depth. 

A few thoughts:

Unlike JUCO transfers, they don't rate graduate transfers.

Casey Dunn was not rated out of high school.

It is fair to say he outperformed expectations while at JSU.

JSU did play LSU in 2016 and AU in 2015, so Dunn has gone up against SEC DLs, but just once per year.

This does feel like a repeat of the Xavier Dampeer experiment, which was part of our early season problems last year.

What is the deal with Kaleb Kim and the other second string OLs? We have a stable of 4-stars, but have been experimenting with transfers and DLs at OL.

Someone mentioned "The Princes" have not taken a snap at OL in college (Tega did play some mop-up duty, so this is not technically correct), however "The Princes" were not known as OLs in high school either (Tega plays some TE, don't know about Sammons).

We have to get the OL correct from the start this year.

Unrelated, but has any consideration been given to putting The Princes on special teams place-kicking defense as interior linemen? With their height and arm length, they could potentially block some kicks.

Kim is what a redshirt freshman? That's what's up with him.  Hints why we go grad transfer.  If he adds depth that we didn't have before than good.  If he frees up the ability to put the best 5 on the line, even better.  I don't care who plays where as long as its the best line we can put out.  Stars mean nothing the second that loi is signed.  More people need to realize that

Does anyone think  Dunn did this for mostly academic purposes and Gus just decided to give him a shot while not expecting a big contribution ?

6 hours ago, alexava said:

Does anyone think  Dunn did this for mostly academic purposes and Gus just decided to give him a shot while not expecting a big contribution ?

If so it's still questionable management of the 2017 new enrollee/scholarship 25 limit.

8 hours ago, alexava said:

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

If so it's still questionable management of the 2017 new enrollee/scholarship 25 limit.

I'd be awfully disappointed to find out that Gus accepted a transfer for any reason other than it makes us a better team. I don't subscribe to the "you don't sign transfers to not start" theory, but we of all fanbases should know that quality depth is crucial. I agree with @corchjay that this is probably about Kaleb Kim. And that's okay, he'll still have 2 full years of eligibility after this one.

17 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Over time when you build a program, the present is taken care of because you built for the future, not only that but you are able to sustain.  

16 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

I agree with this. You don't put everything you make in a savings account and not leave enough to live on... you won't make it long enough to get any benefit out of the savings if you do that...

That is a little misleading with that example and not what I was illustrating.  But if we will use that example, for newer coaches like Gus, or people fresh out of college, you want to front load your savings.  If you live for the "now," your future is not going to be what you hoped it would be.  Yes you make sure you have enough to live on, but you must be disciplined to not blow your money on things you want.

This is critical in recruiting.  I agree junior college transfers and graduate transfers can be very beneficial to a team.  I am not against them.  But they are a short term fix, not a long term solution.  And Gus is seeing that.  At the beginning Gus needed to bring in a lot of junior college guys because he inherited lack of experience or depth at a lot of positions.  Now that he has settled down, every year he is going after less and less junior college guys because he finally has depth that he needs.  Now that the fire is burning, we need to keep adding logs to keep it burning for years to come, not throw in sticks that will burn quickly.

On 2/22/2017 at 5:11 PM, Maverick.AU said:

Wonder if this means that we have a plan for Dunn at C and move Golson to one of the T spots. This would mean being able to keep Smith at his original spot and possibly move James in to play G

Ashley, Smith , Dunn, Not sure, Golson/James , 

Golson has to start playing mean to be a factor at OT. Dunn gives AU a lot of options on the OL. Hand thinks Dunn will start at C. I like it. 

Call me a downer but I don't trust our staff to put the best and most cohesive OL unit on the field. It makes me nervous that we may be moving the guys who are coming back from spots where they were effective the 2nd half of the season last year. Someone please convince me otherwise

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Call me a downer but I don't trust our staff to put the best and most cohesive OL unit on the field. It makes me nervous that we may be moving the guys who are coming back from spots where they were effective the 2nd half of the season last year. Someone please convince me otherwise

Not trying to convince you of anything but I will point out 2 of those players were not playing at their best OL position. They played other positions due to need.

59 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

The problem is that Gus is "new" but he has to win this year so he basically needs to cash in everything he has or he is gone. 

With respect how is Gus new at this point?

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not trying to convince you of anything but I will point out 2 of those players were not playing at their best OL position. They played other positions due to need.

Yeah. Folks forget that AG never played center before 2015, not even in high school. He was pretty bad for the first half of 2015 and pretty good for the second half of 2016. It's not like we'd be moving Reese Dismukes to tackle if someone else can jump in at center. And if he moves to a tackle position, he won't be replacing Greg Robinson. 

And @Tiger, I won't try to convince you, either, but we have a new OC and Hand is now in his second year with this group. It may or may not get better, but it should be different, and change was needed. So far, when Gus has made personnel changes, he has usually upgraded, even when we've lost very good coaches. I guess my point is that mistakes will be made, but they should be of a different- and maybe even less severe- variety.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Folks forget that AG never played center before 2015, not even in high school. He was pretty bad for the first half of 2015 and pretty good for the second half of 2016. It's not like we'd be moving Reese Dismukes to tackle if someone else can jump in at center. And if he moves to a tackle position, he won't be replacing Greg Robinson. 

And @Tiger, I won't try to convince you, either, but we have a new OC and Hand is now in his second year with this group. It may or may not get better, but it should be different, and change was needed. So far, when Gus has made personnel changes, he has usually upgraded, even when we've lost very good coaches. I guess my point is that mistakes will be made, but they should be of a different- and maybe even less severe- variety.

I hear you guys. I'm more concerned about our staff being able to identify who the best guys are and where to put them. We lucked into Xavier Dampeer getting hurt last year IMO (as bad as that sounds). I could argue we might have a new head coach right now if Dampeer doesn't get hurt and force the coaches to change the OL lineup. We went from an average-to-good OL to absolutely crushing our opponents when we moved AG to center and James to LT (before injuries sunk us). I understand what both you guys are saying and not arguing against it as I'll take your word on the players' ability from an individual ability standpoint (I'm not knowledgeable enough about OL play to refute it) but from a unit standpoint we were much better with XD on the bench and our staff couldn't recognize this until they had no other choice. My concern isn't about the personnel as much as it is about our staff assessing our personnel. 

Also my "please convince me otherwise" wasn't supposed to be snarky. It was a genuine "please convince me so I can stop worrying about this particular portion of our team".

Edit* I do feel a tad bit more optimistic since we have a new OC who should be calling these shots.

1 minute ago, Tiger said:

Also my "please convince me otherwise" wasn't supposed to be snarky. It was a genuine "please convince me so I can stop worrying about this particular portion of our team".

I absolutely took it the way you intended it. I'm guessing E did, too. We know you, sir. You good.

And I hear you about our staff's ability to evaluate. That's why I only wanted to point out that our staff has changed since last year. Might be better, might not. But it will be different.

4 minutes ago, casatiger said:

We lucked into a couple of things on offense in my mind.   KP at rb and the offensive line.  

I didn't want to open up the KP thing again but it's inexcusable that our best back only got on the field to spell a banged up KJ in the season opener for one play -- in which he didn't even touch the ball. ok I'm done lol

Archived