Grad Transfer Casey Dunn (Merged)

GwillMac6

This guy is kinda small for the SEC. Don't see him getting much playing time given the elite players we already have on the line.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know. I said this in OL thread. But just my point of view. I think Dunn is being brought in to be the center. He does not have the size for a guard spot and defiantly not a tackle spot. He is same size as Dismukes and Pugh and they worked out just fine.  

It's the same deal being offered to Cochran.

If we are going to offer a one year scholarship to a graduate transfer, that player must be able to come in and fill a starting position. They essentially are a free agent.

Why waste a one scholarship on a player that is not going to contribute immediately. I would rather give that scholarship to a very deserving scout team / walk on Senior, who has paid his dues helping the team week in and out prepare for the next opponent. 

JMO, War Eagle

If it's an important position where you don't necessarily feel good about the backup, you'd be crazy not to offer a one-year scholarship for peace of mind. It's not like we're talking about the backup TE. Center is one of the most important positions on the team. If all he provides is quality depth, that's very valuable.

47 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

This guy is kinda small for the SEC. Don't see him getting much playing time given the elite players we already have on the line.

We have 1 maybe elite OL in Braden, 1 with elite ability but not a consistent motor in D. James, 1 real good OL in Golson if he plays the right position, 1 with elite potential in incoming frosh Ashley. Not much on the OL is proven elite yet.

1 hour ago, thaitopher said:

He is 6'3" & 285

Dismukes was 6'3" & 295

Pugh was 6'4" & 297

So he only needs to put on 10lbs and he is SEC size as far as Auburn's last 2 centers are concerned. 

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

We have 1 maybe elite OL in Braden, 1 with elite ability but not a consistent motor in D. James, 1 real good OL in Golson if he plays the right position, 1 with elite potential in incoming frosh Ashley. Not much on the OL is proven elite yet.

They aren't all elite yet but many of them will be by seasons end.  IMO and i still don't think he sees much playing time, especially if we pick the guy from Cal.

42 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

They aren't all elite yet but many of them will be by seasons end.  IMO and i still don't think he sees much playing time, especially if we pick the guy from Cal.

I hope so but them developing into elite is far from a given.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I hope so but them developing into elite is far from a given.

Probably the same everywhere but seems that many AU fans over-rate our players compared to the rest of college football....and have a hard time accepting that most of our guys fall into the category of "less than elite".   Maybe that's why folks have such a hard time with losses.....just can't accept that some teams have better players....so they are inclined to find fault with AU players and coaches rather than accept the excellence of the opposition.

I figure that if we have a handful of truly "elite" players on the entire team we are in good shape. 

Meanwhile, the NFL is full of guys like Dunn who come from FCS and smaller schools....guys who were over-looked or slow developers in HS.  JMO but it's downright naive to think that because the guy did not play for some Power 5 school the last four years that he is not capable of being a big help to this team.

12 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

He is 6'3" & 285

Dismukes was 6'3" & 295

Pugh was 6'4" & 297

So he only needs to put on 10lbs and he is SEC size as far as Auburn's last 2 centers are concerned. 

I would think being a senior that if he could have put on 10 more lbs, he would have done it by now.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

I would think being a senior that if he could have put on 10 more lbs, he would have done it by now.

He was a two time All American at JSU. He didn't need to.

36 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yup. He sure looked pretty good against us in 2015.

Not trying to be a smartarse towards whoever said Pugh and Dismukes got pushed around, but I hope every Auburn center gets pushed around in the exact same manner those guys did by the time they were juniors. 

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I agree he performed well at JSU but if he had any pro aspirations whatsoever it is my opinion because I do not know for sure, is that he would have put on additional weight (and still be able to perform at a high level) if he could have.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yup. He sure looked pretty good against us in 2015.

Not trying to be a smartarse towards whoever said Pugh and Dismukes got pushed around, but I hope every Auburn center gets pushed around in the exact same manner those guys did by the time they were juniors. 

Look those guys did great jobs. Again it is just my opinion, but their size held them back from being pro's and there were times that their size put them at a disadvantage. Now if anyone can guarantee that Dunn can perform at their level, that is also great.

27 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

I agree he performed well at JSU but if he had any pro aspirations whatsoever it is my opinion because I do not know for sure, is that he would have put on additional weight (and still be able to perform at a high level) if he could have.

Look those guys did great jobs. Again it is just my opinion, but their size held them back from being pro's and there were times that their size put them at a disadvantage. Now if anyone can guarantee that Dunn can perform at their level, that is also great.

Man, you are talking about these guys like they are small, and you have no basis for it whatsoever. There are plenty of outstanding centers in the NFL who play around 295-300 pounds. We're talking about two guys who played at 295 and 297 at 6'3 and 6'4, respectively.

Jason Kelce was a pro bowler last season and is listed at 6'3" 295. Guess what weight he played at, while at Cincinatti? 280

Rodney Hudson was a pro bowler last season and is listed at 6'2 300. Guess what weight he played at, while at FSU? 282

If Dunn needs to put on 10 pounds, he can do it in a weekend, but the kid isn't small. 

Depends on the source and accuracy of stats.  Remember Wisconsin talking about Joe Cope in Capital One bowl in 2006 and taking advantage of his small size?

50  6'1 " 272  SO  Andalusia, AL

Remember FSU's NT Jernigan wearing out Dismukes on defense?  Only time we were successful in 2nd half was when he was gassed and out of game?

Hand better figure all this out and quick.  I'm hoping that one of his many options in lineups proves to lead to a memorable year.

Archived