OT: ESPN / Digital Disruption

RunInRed

2 hours ago, WarTiger said:

actually pro baseball in its entirety SUCKS.  As does pro basketball and pro football.   :lol:

>:( I'm sure you thing pro golf sucks as well................:poke:

Their 30/30 and E:60 are very good programing.....as for forcing NC to change their bathroom bill, I say we need to just have one bathroom for everyone....this is what the Snowflakes want.....

5 hours ago, WarTiger said:

actually pro baseball in its entirety SUCKS.  As does pro basketball and pro football.   :lol:

:angry:

On Friday, March 31, 2017 at 11:31 PM, Bigbens42 said:

I haven't really paid attention to it. I know they've moved to the left editorially, I just never see it, but that's probably because I rarely watch any of their content other than games and the occasional 30 for 30. SportsCenter hasn't been relevant for a while since you can get all of your highlights online and their talking head show's just don't appeal to me. I simply don't watch it when Stephen A. or Jemele Hill are on there, and I can't imagine there are thousands of TV viewers who dislike Smith so much that they didn't simply change the channel because he said something that might hurt their fee fees, but rather cancel their cable or satellite entirely.

And ESPN is probably the mitigating factor keeping the rate of users subscribed to cable and satellite from going into complete free fall. One of the main reasons people are hesitant about cord cutting is live sports. Live sports are pretty much the one genre that can't be fully accessed without cable. I know I'd personally drop DirecTV if it weren't for ESPN and the SEC network. Everything else I watch I could find elsewhere.

If that's the only thing you watch, you may be better suited with Sling. You could get away with a $25 package and have all the ESPN channels,  including SEC. I doubled the package to get the FS1 and NBC SPORTS channels to watch NASCAR and soccer.  It also has BeIn sports. :) Good point about the sports keeping the bundles just as much as the bundles keeping Espn going.  With Espn finally agreeing to join the cord cutters, albeit only 1 device can watch it at a time, they are setting themselves up to separate from the cable bundles. 

On 3/31/2017 at 10:47 AM, Barnacle said:

Through WOW, we get about 100mbps. Watch ESPN streams almost flawlessly in HD. 

Sling offers ESPN and for a little extra the SEC Network.  If you must have it and don't have the golden login then it is a great way to go and still allows you to cut the cord.  I stopped watching a long time ago as most of the stuff on their was as stated political or garbage and well to be honest I am busy and find it better to do other things then watch TV.  I haven't watched ESPN once since we cut the cord so there is that. 

Once OTA/Streaming DVRs hit the market his year cable is doomed. 

Caveat:  I live in a major market and can get OTA with superior quality, this means CBS which charges extra for live TV because of their offerings.

59 minutes ago, eibua12 said:

Sling offers ESPN and for a little extra the SEC Network.  If you must have it and don't have the golden login then it is a great way to go and still allows you to cut the cord.  I stopped watching a long time ago as most of the stuff on their was as stated political or garbage and well to be honest I am busy and find it better to do other things then watch TV.  I haven't watched ESPN once since we cut the cord so there is that. 

Once OTA/Streaming DVRs hit the market his year cable is doomed. 

Caveat:  I live in a major market and can get OTA with superior quality, this means CBS which charges extra for live TV because of their offerings.

You don't watch ESPN for live sporting events? Auburn games?

I never watch anything on ESPN other than the games being played. Talking heads and commercials are muted and the remote goes into action. But I have done that forever. Same for games on other networks as well. I just don't care what they have to say and have never felt as if I really missed anything at all from not hearing/seeing them.

I'm with WT. I do not watch or follow any pro sport. I'm glad when Auburn grads are successful, but I just don't enjoy watching pros play. College only for me.

Archived