247 Profile
Offers include AU, SC, UGA, UF, LSU
Won LB MVP at the Nike ATL Camp a week ago
Hometown SC may be tough to beat but AU is a factor

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Star of Atlanta Opening has growing love for Auburn

BUFORD, Ga. — Just before the Nike Opening camp in Atlanta kicked off, Channing Tindall offered up a premonition.

“From last year, I really just want to improve personal-wise. I want to compete to try to be the best one out here, so I can try and go to the final,” Channing told SEC Country. “I don’t know a whole bunch of people out here yet, so I’ll have to see. I’ll stay humble.”

Forget trying.

The 6-foot-2, 212-pound inside linebacker matched his talk by walking the walk. At the conclusion of the camp, Tindall was the star of the show. His SPARQ rating of 125.25 topped one of the most star-studded camps in recent memory. Tindall’s 4.19-second shuttle and 39.6-inch vert proved an uncanny athleticism to go along with his frame.

It earned him a well-deserved invite to the Opening finals later this year — just like he predicted minutes before the camp.

It’s that rare combination of speed, strength, IQ and ball skills that has some of the top programs in the nation hustling for Tindall’s commitment.

Tindall said Georgia, South Carolina and Florida are the three programs that stick out to him right now. He added North Carolina State in there as a school that is recruiting him as hard as any others. But when asked for a team he’s interested that he wants to find out a little more about before passing judgment, he had another answer.

Auburn.

Tindall has been on the Plains as recently as January for the Tigers’ first junior day. He liked that initial impression, but he wants to return — preferably for a practice or the spring game.

“It was amazing actually. Looking at the complex, everything they had to offer, the dorms, it was great.,” Tindall said. “I’m really looking forward to getting to practice to see how they try to coach. That’s the one thing I haven’t seen. That’s why I say they’re just in the mix, but if I see how they coach — and they do a great job of coaching — then I’ll have them up there on the top.”

Auburn football-Auburn spring football-Auburn Tigers-Auburn linebackers
Auburn LB coach Travis Williams (Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country)

Tindall plays for the Spring Valley Vikings in South Carolina.

If that rings a bell, it’s because another former Auburn linebacker attended that high school: Travis Williams.

That’s right, Auburn’s linebackers coach went to the same high school as Tindall, which was the primary conversation starter when Williams began recruiting Tindall roughly a year ago. Tindall knew who Travis Williams was well before the two met. After all, Tindall had been chasing Williams’ schools records since his varsity career started.

“I’m trying to beat his records at my school,” Tindall said. “He had 22 tackles in one game. I was close this year. I got to 20 tackles. I’m two away.”

The friendly rivalry has transitioned into a fatherly relationship.

Tindall is impressed by Williams, which is why he wants to get back to Auburn soon, preferably for a practice. He expects to be blown away by Williams’ on-field coaching style since he’s already amazed by the man Williams is off the field.

“We have a really good relationship. That’s why I want to get down there more. I’m trying to get down there for their spring game. His energy, he’s always hype. Every time I see him, he’s hype about everything. That’s what I love about him. He’s also just a father figure. I can talk to him outside of football. He really helps me keep my mind focused on the goal. That’s what I really like about him.”

Tindall is only ranked as a 3-star linebacker, but that figures to change after the performance he put on against the southeast’s best last weekend. Three-star prospects aren’t common participants at the Opening finals.

Tindall is listed as the No. 713 overall prospect in the nation. But his stock is rising — fast.

Amazing that T-Will went to the same HS in SC that this kid plays at. With T-Will, I would say we have a chance....you have to know that Will M. will do everything he can to keep him away from us, using the  home state card as much as he can as well as anything else he can think of. 

This guy is hard to block.  Competition doesn't look overly strong but he's a very solid player.

I'm also if the opinion that we need a stronger recruiting presence up the southern east coast.  South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland.  Not just a ton of talent but some very high quality for some player that hopefully we can make some in roads with.  Still our concentration is and will always be Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. 

• 4 weeks later...

Tindall talks T-Will, Tigers and top schools

COLUMBIA, S.C. — The Atlanta Falcons jersey of Travis Williams hangs on the wall outside the weight room at Spring Valley High.

At a school known for producing football talent, Williams was one of the best.

Before reaching the NFL, he played linebacker at Auburn. Today, he is that school’s linebacker coach — and one of his top targets plays at his high school alma mater.

On Monday, Williams visited Spring Valley to check on 4-star backer Channing Tindall.

The Tigers are one of five programs that stand out at the moment, along with Florida, Georgia, Notre Dame and South Carolina. Other schools also are in the mix.

According to Tindall, his relationship with Williams is the main reason Auburn is in the hunt.

“I have a really, really good relationship with Coach Williams,” Tindall said earlier this week. “We are both from South Carolina, both linebackers. Play the same position. And both we’re getting recruited after coming to this school.”

Tindall added, “He has a lot of energy.”

The 6-feet-2, 213-pound Tindall is the No. 21 outside backer in the 247Sports Composite. He visited the Tigers earlier this year and came away impressed.

That said, intel suggests the Bulldogs and Gamecocks might currently be the teams to beat.

Tindall said this week he potentially could attend Auburn’s Big Cat Weekend recruiting event June 3. Also, he told us it appears as though Auburn’s efforts to recruit him have picked up.

“They say I could play inside or outside,” Tindall said.

To hear the SEC Recruiting Buzz's full interview with Tindall, hit play below. It'll offer a lot of insight into his recruitment.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, aufan57 said:

NOW THIS is a good example of a recruit we have no shot at who is just using us for a ticket.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

NOW THIS is a good example of a recruit we have no shot at who is just using us for a ticket.

What makes you think that, or are you being sarcastic?

9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

What makes you think that, or are you being sarcastic?

In a article recently he did not even mention us as the schools he was focusing on down the stretch. We may get a hat on the table but that is all we really are in this recruitment. Running third at best.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

In a article recently he did not even mention us as the schools he was focusing on down the stretch. We may get a hat on the table but that is all we really are in this recruitment. Running third at best.

Hopefully a visit here on Iron Bowl day will change that.

• 3 weeks later...

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s what the Intel will bring at least five days a week. The blog on early national signing day eve takes a look at 4-star linebacker Channing Tindall

Channing Tindall was one of many talented players who took their official visits to UGA over the weekend. It was his second official visit in his recruiting process.

He made his first official visit to Auburn for The Iron Bowl, and it did not disappoint. The Tigers are clearly in the running for Tindall. A lot of the focus tilts toward Georgia and South Carolina in this recruiting race, but that might not be the whole picture. The Tigers are clearly in it.

Tindall has a close bond with Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams. For many reasons. Tindall said he continues to view that relationship as the tightest connection he has with a recruiter.

Channing Tindall-UGA recruiting
Channing Tindall rates as the nation’s No. 5 OLB on the 247Sports composite rankings for 2018. If he chooses UGA, he likely will play inside linebacker. (Hale McGranahan/SEC Country)

The nation’s No. 5 LB prospect does not expect to sign or even commit during the early period.

In Athens over the weekend, he was surrounded by all those 5-stars who could wind up as his teammates.

“I always have fun when I’m at Georgia,” Tindall said. “So it was fun. The highlight of it had to be watching them practice. They have this competition thing.”

He got to see some call-out drills. Coach Kirby Smart was the conductor for those high-energy reps that saw running backs vs. linebackers, tight ends vs. linebackers and so on.

“It doesn’t matter what position you play,” Tindall said. “You are going to get in those one-on-ones. … Everybody is yelling and getting all excited. That has to be my highlight. Just seeing all the energy.”

It was the first time that Tindall had seen the Bulldogs practice.

What about that hospital visit to see Azeez Ojulari? 

Channing Tindall was a part of a group that went to see UGA commit Azeez Ojulari after his surgery on his right knee over the weekend.

Justin Fields was there. So was Kearis Jackson. Trey Hill also was on hand.

Big thanks to my brothers for coming out to see me after surgery i really appreciate it! #godawgs #family ??

That photo includes three UGA commits and a major target for the program in 2018 at Ojulari’s bedside. Why did Tindall want to be there?

“I first met Azeez at one of my very first camps or whatnot,” Tindall said. “So we have formed kind of a bond there. Then after he committed to Georgia, he was the first person there besides Justin Fields and Kearis Jackson and all of them to actually try to recruit me to go there.”

Tindall wanted to be there for his friend.

“Just seeing him in the hospital made me sad to see him like that,” he said. “I just had to support him because he has done a lot for me. Just building me up. Trying to help me. We’ve worked with one another trying to become the best athletes that we can.

“I had to go see my brother really. To see how he was doing. It was really just that simple.”

Tindall said he hoped to see the “home feel” and learn the feelings of the Georgia recruits about the program.

“I did get that,” he said. “Everyone was very busy. But somehow they kind of all stuck together as brothers. I kind of liked that. It was sort of how we all stuck together to go see Azeez. Just like that. To support each other and get through things.”

He said the staff has told him that he would line up at inside linebacker if he chooses to play for the Bulldogs.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Want to attack every day with the latest Georgia football recruiting info? That’s what the Intel will bring at least five days a week. The blog on early national signing day eve takes a look at 4-star linebacker Channing Tindall

Channing Tindall was one of many talented players who took their official visits to UGA over the weekend. It was his second official visit in his recruiting process.

He made his first official visit to Auburn for The Iron Bowl, and it did not disappoint. The Tigers are clearly in the running for Tindall. A lot of the focus tilts toward Georgia and South Carolina in this recruiting race, but that might not be the whole picture. The Tigers are clearly in it.

Tindall has a close bond with Auburn linebackers coach Travis Williams. For many reasons. Tindall said he continues to view that relationship as the tightest connection he has with a recruiter.

Channing Tindall-UGA recruiting
Channing Tindall rates as the nation’s No. 5 OLB on the 247Sports composite rankings for 2018. If he chooses UGA, he likely will play inside linebacker. (Hale McGranahan/SEC Country)

The nation’s No. 5 LB prospect does not expect to sign or even commit during the early period.

In Athens over the weekend, he was surrounded by all those 5-stars who could wind up as his teammates.

“I always have fun when I’m at Georgia,” Tindall said. “So it was fun. The highlight of it had to be watching them practice. They have this competition thing.”

He got to see some call-out drills. Coach Kirby Smart was the conductor for those high-energy reps that saw running backs vs. linebackers, tight ends vs. linebackers and so on.

“It doesn’t matter what position you play,” Tindall said. “You are going to get in those one-on-ones. … Everybody is yelling and getting all excited. That has to be my highlight. Just seeing all the energy.”

It was the first time that Tindall had seen the Bulldogs practice.

Thank you! I am inept (even after E explained how to do this). 

Odd if T will is the closest he is with in the recruiting process that we are running third then.

Just now, thaitopher said:

Thank you! I am inept (even after E explained how to do this). 

lol I got you fammy!! I used to be the same way! I would only post the link to the article and not the article itself. Just paying it forward.

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Odd if T will is the closest he is with in the recruiting process that we are running third then.

If T Will can close this out, it will be his most impressive catch yet. We are still a long shot, but we have a legitimate chance per the article. 

11 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

If T Will can close this out, it will be his most impressive catch yet. We are still a long shot, but we have a legitimate chance per the article. 

YES! suprised at how non homer it was.

MakeItStop.gif

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Well crap 

Every day now my mission each day will be to hate kirby as much as @augolf1716 hates ga tech lol

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Hoping this GA thing burns out soon. 

you and me both brother. this ish is getting old real quick. 1 team with bama talent wise is enough to deal with. 

Archived