Corey Myers Steps Down

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems VERY unusual and I hope he and his family are doing OK. This is going to be a big loss and a big distraction. He's a big part of the pitching success. 

Scary to think about.  Don't like the tone of the situation.  From a softball standpoint, I was looking forward to him taking over from Dad when Clint retires.

Shocking. Unfortunately this will be the topic during the entire game tomorrow at Georgia. 

This has been a bad week for Auburn Softball. :(

24 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Apparently, there have been rumors of this possibly happening since last September.  

Yes there has been. I of course thought everything was ok and it was just a nasty rumor that turned out to be not true like most of them do but this is not good at all. He will be missed. He was a great pitching coach.

43 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Apparently, there have been rumors of this possibly happening since last September.  

Yeah I heard the rumors around then, but I was hoping they were left at that. 

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Well, there goes our potential softball dynasty. Isn't his father retiring soon?

I thought we had him another 3 years after this one at the least. till after 2020 when his contract runs out.

6 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Very personal and very embarrasing personally and professionally for Corey. Prayers that he will get things back on track and maybe his brother will step in and pick up the slack. 

dangit. WELP! that sucks. he was set to take over for clint down the road. He looked like he was going to be a good one for next head coach.

11 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Well, there goes our potential softball dynasty. Isn't his father retiring soon?

Not necessarily.

This team's chemistry already appeared to be 1/2 degree off off plumb, for whatever reasons. This won't help.

I coached girl's basketball for a couple of years, back in a previous life. The opportunity and thus the temptation is always there. You simply have to draw a firm line within yourself and never waiver. Not everybody can do that and those that cannot should avoid coaching opposite-sex teams at all costs.

Attractive young guy and attractive young women.....always the potential for trouble.   And the kind of thing that can upset a team.

Unfortunate for him and his family....but the team might ultimately be better off...especially if there have been rumors floating around.

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Attractive young guy and attractive young women.....always the potential for trouble.   And the kind of thing that can upset a team.

Unfortunate for him and his family....but the team might ultimately be better off...especially if there have been rumors floating around.

Completely agree, in fact was just telling my wife the bit about attractive young coach, attractive young women. You read my mind!

I see there have been rumors, but do we know if there is anything to these? It's very easy to see that narrative fitting, but for all we known there are some other family/personal reasons that have nothing to do w/ infidelity. 

Agree, the pattern of events would cause one to speculate the usual narrative but I choose to let the facts develop rather than add my own guesses. Really feel sorry for Clint Myers, this has to take a toll on him.  Unfortunate for all involved.

9 minutes ago, Planner4Hire said:

Completely agree, in fact was just telling my wife the bit about attractive young coach, attractive young women. You read my mind!

I see there have been rumors, but do we know if there is anything to these? It's very easy to see that narrative fitting, but for all we known there are some other family/personal reasons that have nothing to do w/ infidelity. 

From what I gather it seems highly likely what happened will not see the public light of day. I trust @passthebiscuits  assessment of it being very personal & very embarrassing & will leave it at that.

35 minutes ago, keesler said:

Improper conduct?  Yes

NCAA issues?  No

Auburn always screws itself?  Yes, literally

Very disappointing, but it's a tell as old as time.:angry:

Yep I should know..........bad situation but it happens

55 minutes ago, keesler said:

Improper conduct?  Yes

NCAA issues?  No

Auburn always screws itself?  Yes, literally

Very disappointing, but it's a tell as old as time.:angry:

I confess that I get tired of the negative narrative written about us & have trouble understanding Auburn people who chime in on that narrative. How is this situation "Auburn screwing itself"? What Baylor did (multiple people inexcusably covering up inexcusable behaviors) amounts to "screwing itself." It appears that what Ole Miss did (several people involved in recruiting violations & no one "minding the store") will likely amount to "screwing itself." But how does 1 assistant coach apparently making a bad decision in his personal life & then resigning amount to Auburn screwing itself? It doesn't, & telling the story that way only hurts us. In this instance Corey has apparently screwed himself, his family, & his career, & has likely hurt someone else badly in the process. That's sad & I'm so sorry for all involved. But Auburn has not screwed itself here.

Don't throw the season out the door quite yet. Still a lot of good coaches and players at Auburn- just takes getting hot! Feel like Casey will be ready to go when his father retires (hopefully). Maybe Corey has some personal issues that may allow him to again coach in the future. We shall see 

Teams can often rally around adversity.  Even if from within.  The dust up between fagan/Florida coach plus Myers quitting plus some slightly below ability on field play ... it would not be unheard of for the team to put its collective head down and have each other's back and come out this weekend focused and winning

Archived