Corey Myers Steps Down

21 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Don't throw the season out the door quite yet. Still a lot of good coaches and players at Auburn- just takes getting hot! Feel like Casey will be ready to go when his father retires (hopefully). Maybe Corey has some personal issues that may allow him to again coach in the future. We shall see 

From what I'm hearing now, don't count on it. He just doesn't seem to be the HC type. Whenever Clint retires that likely the end of the Myers & AU.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ellitor said:

From what I'm hearing now, don't count on it. He just doesn't seem to be the HC type. Whenever Clint retires that likely the end of the Myers & AU.

Well then we cross that bridge when we get there, but until then we enjoy the ride. Let's rally and move on. 

7 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Well then we cross that bridge when we get there, but until then we enjoy the ride. Let's rally and move on. 

Amen brother!

1 hour ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Hell Yeah!  WDE ladies, make those Dawgs tuck tail and run this weekend.

Auburn didn't "screw itself" so stop with the BS! This is a personal situation between consenting adults with both knowing better. Auburn didn't do a damn thing.

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

Auburn didn't "screw itself" so stop with the BS! This is a personal situation between consenting adults with both knowing better. Auburn didn't do a damn thing.

I deleted my posts.  My deepest apologies for chiming in and spreading a negative narrative that could in any way tarnish Auburn's reputation.

On 3/30/2017 at 9:57 PM, TitanTiger said:

Apparently, there have been rumors of this possibly happening since last September.  

If the rumors that Titan mentioned are accurate then that raises some questions about the situation. Why was Corey Meyers allowed to stay and coach for 6 more months when the situation had been brewing for that long? It doesn't look good for Auburn if nothing was done for 6 months. It's a firable offense for a coach to have an inappropriate relationship. We need to hope that this wasn't known about 6 months ago and was just now brought to light to the athletic department.

This is not something to sweep under the rug and downplay. Bobby Petrino lied about his relationship and was fired at Arkansas in 2012. Arkansas would have  fired Petrino regardless of whether he lied about it or not. Arkansas had grounds to fire Petrino just for having an inappropriate relationship. All the extra stuff like giving $20,000 as a Christmas gift to the woman who he was riding with on his motorcycle was just even more reason to fire him.

You can flame me all you want and get pissed all you want, I can take my orange and blue glasses off. What if this was your daughter? Would you not raise questions about the situation and try to find out how things unfolded?

4 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

If the rumors that Titan mentioned are accurate then that raises some questions about the situation. Why was Corey Meyers allowed to stay and coach for 6 more months when the situation had been brewing for that long? It doesn't look good for Auburn if nothing was done for 6 months. It's a firable offense for a coach to have an inappropriate relationship. We need to hope that this wasn't known about 6 months ago and was just now brought to light to the athletic department.

This is not something to sweep under the rug and downplay. Bobby Petrino lied about his relationship and was fired at Arkansas in 2012. Arkansas would have  fired Petrino regardless of whether he lied about it or not. Arkansas had grounds to fire Petrino just for having an inappropriate relationship. All the extra stuff like giving $20,000 as a Christmas gift to the woman who he was riding with on his motorcycle was just even more reason to fire him.

You can flame me all you want and get pissed all you want, I can take my orange and blue glasses off. What if this was your daughter? Would you not raise questions about the situation and try to find out how things unfolded?

Agree completely but let the entire story play out. Lets not make a judgement until we know everything. 

7 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Agree completely but let the entire story play out. Lets not make a judgement until we know everything. 

Oh I'm not. It goes both ways though.  I'm just saying that this isn't something that needs to be downplayed because there's a lot of questions that haven't been answered. That's my point.

36 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Oh I'm not. It goes both ways though.  I'm just saying that this isn't something that needs to be downplayed because there's a lot of questions that haven't been answered. That's my point.

I am guessing that there will be a lot of questions that are never answered from anyone in authority . Unless some legal issues develop, more likely this will just be treated as a "personnel matter" and that will be that . 

My only other thought on the matter is that something like this is never a secret from everyone ....and the chances of staying secret this long are pretty small. This kind of thing is not unique and the usual solution is for the person to end whatever is going on .... which must not have happened in this case.

2 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

It's possible the investigation into it took that long, and if there wasn't a specific complaint being filed by anyone, it probably makes an investigation that much harder.  It's just hard to say without more details.

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It's possible the investigation into it took that long, and if there wasn't a specific complaint being filed by anyone, it probably makes an investigation that much harder.  It's just hard to say without more details.

That's valid but that still doesn't mean they couldn't have suspended Meyers or restricted him from team activities until everything could be reviewed/investigated.

From what is known, it doesn't appear there was ever a suspension unless I'm wrong. Just a 6 month period between rumors and then him resigning in late March.

11 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

That's valid but that still doesn't mean they couldn't have suspended Meyers or restricted him from team activities until everything could be reviewed/investigated.

From what is known, it doesn't appear there was ever a suspension unless I'm wrong. Just a 6 month period between rumors and then him resigning in late March.

Like I say, you don't know what they knew, when they knew it or exact the nature of the issue, so it's just impossible to say.

Something must have broken a couple days ago for this to be announced like it did with no background and no explanation . Just thinking that if some sort of investigation had been underway there would have been more information associated with the announcement. 

30 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Like I say, you don't know what they knew, when they knew it or exact the nature of the issue, so it's just impossible to say.

No I don't know what was done internally, when things were known, or the nature of the situation. I'm not going to pretend that I do. 

Meyers was still coaching and with the team until he resigned. That's fact.

If there were rumors of Meyers resigning back in September, that just adds to the issue and makes the timing of all this even more suspicious.

Another thing will be about his contract. Since he resigned does Auburn not have to pay him the remainder of his contract?

8 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

No I don't know what was done internally, when things were known, or the nature of the situation. I'm not going to pretend that I do. 

Meyers was still coaching and with the team until he resigned. That's fact.

If there were rumors of Meyers resigning back in September, that just adds to the issue and makes the timing of all this even more suspicious.

Another thing will be about his contract. Since he resigned does Auburn not have to pay him the remainder of his contract?

Yeah, rumors but it matters who knew about the rumors.  If no one in a real position to do anything about the matter knew, what would anything have been done?  And what if he and the girl denied it early on making it impossible to confirm?

9 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

You cannot suspend someone over nothing but rumors and speculation. Period. Unless and until there is some solid evidence of some law or rule being broken there's not a single thing that can be done other than investigate until more is learned.

If this is indeed as speculated, that his resignation is because of involvement with a female player then since every single member of the team is well past the Age of Consent no law has been broken. Such conduct is unseemly and probably detrimental to the team's chemistry but this is no HOLY CRAP WE'RE ALL GONNA' DIE situation.

Possibly some third party could file a sexual harassment lawsuit on the grounds of AU not providing a wholesome workplace but there has been no mention of any offended party.

18 minutes ago, Mikey said:

You cannot suspend someone over nothing but rumors and speculation. Period. Unless and until there is some solid evidence of some law or rule being broken there's not a single thing that can be done other than investigate until more is learned.

If this is indeed as speculated, that his resignation is because of involvement with a female player then since every single member of the team is well past the Age of Consent no law has been broken. Such conduct is unseemly and probably detrimental to the team's chemistry but this is no HOLY CRAP WE'RE ALL GONNA' DIE situation.

Possibly some third party could file a sexual harassment lawsuit on the grounds of AU not providing a wholesome workplace but there has been no mention of any offended party.

That would likely be a contract issue....especially if it continued past some warning.  

And if it involved a player.... I'm betting that about every player knew about it.   I have a daughter and grew up with two sisters......and from my experience, nothing about their social lives stayed secret for very long....maybe a day. :)   He was probably fortunate it was not posted on Facebook somewhere long ago. 

In a situation where we have no facts about why he resigned and doubt we will really ever know the truth. I have read stories about past indiscretions of coaches and how some situations were handled. I am not saying this is one of those situations without facts. I am just saying I have read some past stories.

Some contracts in some type of lawyer lingo there are written clauses about being a state employee and not getting involved with students of said state institution even if they are of consensual age. 

In those rare cases where the coach has violated that clause, to save face in a potentially embarrassing situation for student, coach and university, the coach was given the option to resign but would also not be paid the rest of their contract or they could be fired and thrown on the street for the media and court of public opinion to slaughter as seen fit. In the later case the univercity would then circle the wagons around unnamed student.

Maybe some one who is a contractual lawyer may have better verbiage than me and could shed some light. 

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Meyers didn't break the law, or violate an NCAA rule but if he did have an affair with one of the players then he did embarrass Auburn University.

So what if the females on the team are consenting adults. Tyler Summitt, Pat Summit's son, resigned as Louisiana Tech's women's basketball coach for having an extramarital affair with a player. The woman that Petrino was with was 25 years old, she was an employee at Arkansas and a former student-athlete. Age of consent is a red herring on the issues of code of conduct, ethics, and the moral obligations of a coach at a university.

I suspect Meyers resigned to get out in front of any possibly story coming to light. 

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I suspect Meyers resigned to get out in front of any possibly story coming to light. 

SUSPECT being the operative term.

Archived