All things Tashawn Manning (Merged)

ellitor

Happy for these guys. Football practice is nothing to them after going through cancer. 

So am I the only one wondering why we (not Auburn, but the United States) have so many young people (athletes and non) getting cancer? Especially these rare forms of cancer? I just don't understand. I mean we have had multiple signees coming down with cancer. I just dont understand 

14 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So am I the only one wondering why we (not Auburn, but the United States) have so many young people (athletes and non) getting cancer? Especially these rare forms of cancer? I just don't understand. I mean we have had multiple signees coming down with cancer. I just dont understand 

I agree, Hodgkin's and non Hodgkin's lymphomas especially seem to be becoming more common these days. The thing that's hard about it is that they are very diverse cancers.  The Non Hodgkin's that I had is usually caused by DNA and gene change when cells grow and divide. Doctors can't really explain why it seems to becoming more common either and that's the tough part. It's hard to explain lymphomas in general because of the lack of risk factors

This quote is from the American Cancer Society 

"but they still do not know why most lymphomas develop in people with no apparent risk factors."

15 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Not a Doctor, but the junk we eat has to be a major player. The colors, textures, and tastes of foods I ate in the 70s and 80s don't remotely resemble the same food today. Again, just my opinion. Thrilled to see Hamm and Manning join our AU Family. 

18 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

In no earthly way qualified to answer in general.

Regarding our signees, I very much like to think that we're more committed to our commitments than some others.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 8:29 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

I rarely ever try to talk about anything of a medical nature and often try to come across as an average Joe who barely made it out of HS when it pertains to things of a medical nature being a former MD many moons ago. I believe that nutrition is playing a much larger role as a factor in cancers developing in the late teen years and early twenties. Genomic testing will start becoming more common as a tool in determining those who are at higher risks for a variety of illnesses. This will likely revolutionize how we treat various illnesses with the ability to have a preemptive approach with dealing with the disease instead of discovering the illness when it has invaded the body and has already started damaging the body. 

With this being said, I will hang my dusty diploma on the wall for the next 20 or so years.

On 3/4/2017 at 8:29 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

In the first place, most of the world does not have the medical community and technology to accurately diagnose these young mens' disease - they simply would be documented as dying at a young age from "a fever". Second, no country in the world comes close to the US in cancer survival rate.

And that's from a Canadian. 

• 4 weeks later...

Auburn defensive tackle Tashawn Manning could miss remainder of spring practices

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Tashawn Manning's first spring at Auburn could be over prematurely.

Manning has been dealing with an undisclosed foot injury and is questionable for the Tigers' final five practices of the spring, according to defensive line coach Rodney Garner. When asked about Manning's availability for the remainder of spring on Tuesday, Garner said he would have to consult head trainer Robbie Stewart, but noted the short time frame made Manning's return questionable.

"The problem is this is Day 9 and Saturday will be Day 11, so there's a probability (that he won't return this spring)," Garner said Tuesday.

Manning, a 6-foot-3, 315-pound defensive tackle, was in the midst of his first spring practice at Auburn after signing with the program as part of the team's 2016 recruiting class. He was a three-star prospect out of Wekiva High in Apopka, Fla., but was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia on Thanksgiving in 2015 after he had bouts of shortness of breath during his senior season at Wekiva.

A day after his diagnosis, Manning began an eight-month chemotherapy treatment that ran until July 10 last year. At the end of the treatment, Manning was declared cancer-free by his doctors. Last summer and fall, Manning took online classes at Valencia College in Florida before enrolling at Auburn in January for the start of spring semester.

'I have purpose,' says Tashawn Manning during leukemia battle

Manning was diagnosed last November, but has made great strides in his treatment.

He was finally cleared for the start of spring practice, but coach Gus Malzahn said he would be limited this spring. Still, Manning was grateful to finally reach this point after his battle with cancer.

During the first week of spring practice, defensive coordinator Kevin Steele brought Manning up to the front of the defensive meeting room and asked him how his first day of practice was. His response brought perspective to the rest of the room.

"(He had) a big smile on his face, and he said, 'I had a blast, Coach,'" Steele said. "He went on and told the story, and there were some guys in the room that I'm not sure that they really had put two and two together, like oh that's you. To be diagnosed with leukemia, cancer, have radiation treatment and maybe never be able to or think you'll never be able to play again, and then be back doing it is kind of a neat thing.

"I'm telling you, he's got a skillset now. He can help us. The good thing about it is he sure is happy to be out there."

Manning is deep down Auburn's depth chart this spring, behind Andrew Williams, Derrick Brown, Byron Cowart and Antwuan Jackson Jr. at defensive tackle. As Manning recovers from the injury and hits offseason workouts, Garner does have a goal for the freshman.

"He's a big, body-quick guy and we probably need to trim him down a little bit," Garner said. "I think he was in the 320ish (pound) range, and I'd like to see him more around 300, 305. I think that's what our goal is, but I was pleased with him while he was out there."

• WarTiger changed the title to Tashawn Manning

I do think that both players will contribute in the near future. A RS season makes a lot of sense so that each player can get themselves ready to do battle in the trenches. They should have a solid chance of being in the rotation in 2018.

Archived