Scrimmage 4/1/17

7 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The tackles. Been saying for months we have a problem. Hope Ashley is all the staff thinks he is. 

Also glad the kid from FSU saw that yesterday. He has to be licking his chops right now about starting for AU. 

Don't forget the Grad Transfer from Cali. He saw the 1st scrimmage.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So possibly two GTs starting at tackle (provided they transfer in)? That certainly does sound concerning. 

9 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

Sarcasm?

Not at all. Still worried about the WR's. Been a mix mash on the OL as far as personal. Was bad yesterday but it's still spring. 

Im a realist most is the time. Call it as it is. Won't sugar coat it. Don't mean it's the end of the world. Really think AU is in great shape all around. 

The D is good. Depth is a issue at a couple of spots but that is just like 95% of all college teams. 

Not one mention of Woody B lately. He must not be performing well at all, or the others are just that much better. 

Really excited about the defense playing so well. We could be pretty stout this year! Not too excited about the OL performance. Hopefully we can find the right combination of players in early fall practice so that they can gel and start to perform better. Stidham may be listed as a DTQB but he is primarily a passer. He needs protection to do what he does. 

31 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Not one mention of Woody B lately. He must not be performing well at all, or the others are just that much better. 

Really excited about the defense playing so well. We could be pretty stout this year! Not too excited about the OL performance. Hopefully we can find the right combination of players in early fall practice so that they can gel and start to perform better. Stidham may be listed as a DTQB but he is primarily a passer. He needs protection to do what he does. 

Doesn't neater if you are Lamar Jackson out there (see Louisville vs LSU). If you don't have good line play no type of QB will succeed .

44 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Woody is pretty much a non factor. 

On 4/1/2017 at 2:56 PM, GTNupe11 said:

Dude is coming back from an ACL injury if I'm not mistaken.

It was a torn meniscus, not ACL.  He would not be practicing yet if it was a torn ACL.  If you remember we were trying to get him back out on the field in time for the Iron Bowl, which was a reasonable timeframe for that injury if it was non-invasive surgery for the meniscus.  You can walk out of the doctors office with that surgery.

On 4/1/2017 at 7:15 PM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

OL was awful. Not a April Fools joke.

I am okay with that.  I remember last year at this time they were really bad and come Fall, they were a good line once Golson moved back to center.  All of these grad transfers for O-Line worry me though for our future.  I feel grad transfers are useful band-aids at times, but lets not get carried away with up to 3 grad transfers (Jacksonville State, Cal, and FSU transfers).

Does anyone know if Kam Martin carried his added weight well as in no loss of speed?  Or how about Tre Threat?  Any improvement from his poor performance in the first scrimmage?

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

All of these grad transfers for O-Line worry me though for our future.  I feel grad transfers are useful band-aids at times, but lets not get carried away with up to 3 grad transfers (Jacksonville State, Cal, and FSU transfers).

My thought on grad transfers is that if they're better than our guys, they're decent kids, and we have room on the roster... why not? It doesn't necessarily mean we're in bad shape. I don't know much about these 3 guys on a personal level, but they all sound like they could be fantastic football players to me. I'd be glad to have them if our coaches think so after doing some serious evals. 

Does anyone know if Kam Martin carried his added weight well as in no loss of speed? 

Horton said he hasn't lost any speed, which doesn't surprise me. When guys gain weight in quality S&C programs, they're usually gaining muscle in their legs to go along with added bulk up top. 

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My thought on grad transfers is that if they're better than our guys, they're decent kids, and we have room on the roster... why not? It doesn't necessarily mean we're in bad shape. I don't know much about these 3 guys on a personal level, but they all sound like they could be fantastic football players to me. I'd be glad to have them if our coaches think so after doing some serious evals. 

I meant more for the future, as in it will help this year, but does it hinder the growth for next year since the guys under them will not have any experience now, or even transfer themselves.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

the guys under them will not have any experience now, or even transfer themselves.

You're right, and that's a consequence of the "win now" mentality that is D1 CFB today. Add that to the fact that we have a very talented team put together, absent some questions on the line, and our coach is on the hot seat - well, the future be damned. 

20 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Florida State guard Wilson Bell, who has started 19 games in the past two seasons, plans to play his final season as a graduate transfer. He already has been removed from the roster on FSU’s website.

Bell started all 14 games for Florida State as a redshirt sophomore in 2015, playing right guard. Last season, he played in 10 games and started five, including the season-opening victory against Ole Miss and the regular-season finale against rival Florida.

Bell, from Mobile (Ala.) Blount, came to the Seminoles as a three-star prospect in the 2013 signing class. His freshman year was derailed by a knee injury, but he returned at full strength.

Cole Minshew and Landon Dickerson are the top two FSU guards, but Bell would’ve vied with both for a starting spot.

In December, the Tallahassee Democrat reported that Bell was arrested for failure to appear in court in connection with an earlier hit-and-run crash. But he did play in the Orange Bowl against Michigan.

Bell will likely be a coveted addition for teams looking for help on the offensive line. Currently, CBSSports.com ranks him as the No. 7 guard for the 2018 NFL Draft class.

http://gridironnow.com/wilson-bell-leaving-fsu-graduate-transfer/

When he signed with FSU he said it was agonizing to pick FSU over his "dream school" which was AU.

Any insight on his status had he stayed at FSU?  As I understand it, there is an SEC rule that would prohibit him from transferring into the conference if he was disciplined by another school.

WDE!

32 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I meant more for the future, as in it will help this year, but does it hinder the growth for next year since the guys under them will not have any experience now, or even transfer themselves.

Fair question to ask, but my thought is that we have no way of knowing if more reps this year would turn any of the guys on the roster into legit starters next year. What we do have a way of knowing is whether or not these transfers make us a better team right now. So, to me, it's less of a gamble to upgrade when we can. It's the safe play. 

FTR, I'm not a "win at all costs" guy. I don't want jerks around the program. But I'm okay with bringing in short-term guys if they're respectful people and can help us. 

1 hour ago, MadtownTiger said:

Any insight on his status had he stayed at FSU?  As I understand it, there is an SEC rule that would prohibit him from transferring into the conference if he was disciplined by another school.

WDE!

He would've competed for a starting spot at FSU. I believe that rule only comes into play if you are actually kicked off the team, and then a waiver has to be obtained by the school to make them eligible.

This was a quote from Tomahawk nation:

"His decision to transfer is a bit brow-raising, as he’d started double-digit games for the ‘Noles in his career and figured to contribute again in the coming season, though he was unlikely to be a starter. If his goal is to get to the NFL, going somewhere he’ll likely start is the best option."

IMO the experimenting with guys across the ol is getting old.  Smith is dominant at guard, Golston should stay center, someone has to take Kozans spot but between Harrel and Dampeer that should be worked out.  James should go to rt.  He seemed fine in run blocking but im sure they all need work in pass blocking situations.  Which leaves lt to be figured out.  Seemed to me we did well with that mix of ol.  Am i wrong or do we seem to be fixing things that are not broken?

Well, it's not as simple as all that. If James and Smith are your best Tackles. You play them at Tackle. That's a more important position than Guard. It just is. If that requires shuffling guys around, you shuffle guys around. If Smith is a 9 at Guard and a 7 at Tackle and you don't have any other 7s at Tackle, he's playing Tackle.

I've said it before, and I really believe, Smith, Golson, and Horton are the only locks to start on that OL. Horton was clearly one of our four or five best last year, but Kozan's experience was too valuable to lose. Landing a true Tackle in Cochran or having a home run in Ashley would pretty much end the OL shuffle. 

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

He would've competed for a starting spot at FSU. I believe that rule only comes into play if you are actually kicked off the team, and then a waiver has to be obtained by the school to make them eligible.

This was a quote from Tomahawk nation:

"His decision to transfer is a bit brow-raising, as he’d started double-digit games for the ‘Noles in his career and figured to contribute again in the coming season, though he was unlikely to be a starter. If his goal is to get to the NFL, going somewhere he’ll likely start is the best option."

I recall reading about it a couple of years ago right about the time Sankey took over.  For the most part the article I read seemed to focus on folks with a history of physical violence (sexual assault, domestic battery, etc.) but also seemed to bar athletes that had been reprimanded by their university for non-violent transgressions.  Basically, you couldn't transfer to escape a suspension.  I remember thinking it sounded like a rule, due to it's lack of specificity, would one day benefit you-know-who and shaft everyone else.

If I get a chance this evening I'll see if I can find something.

WDE!

59 minutes ago, MadtownTiger said:

I recall reading about it a couple of years ago right about the time Sankey took over.  For the most part the article I read seemed to focus on folks with a history of physical violence (sexual assault, domestic battery, etc.) but also seemed to bar athletes that had been reprimanded by their university for non-violent transgressions.  Basically, you couldn't transfer to escape a suspension.  I remember thinking it sounded like a rule, due to it's lack of specificity, would one day benefit you-know-who and shaft everyone else.

If I get a chance this evening I'll see if I can find something.

WDE!

From AL.com this was from June 2016

"The amendment, one of five legislative proposals the SEC Executive Committee approved on Friday, adds the conference's expectation of "due diligence" into reviewing a prospective transfer's background, adds the circumstances of being convicted or pleading guilty or no contest to a felony involving "serious misconduct," the definition of which was broadened to encompass "dating violence or stalking or conduct of a nature that creates serious concerns about the safety of others."

"SEC commissioner Greg Sankey acknowledged the league has been considering how best to expand the policy, commonly known as the "Jonathan Taylor rule" due to Alabama's acceptance of the defensive lineman despite his dismissal from Georgia for an arrest for domestic violence."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/18715461/sec_amends_jonathan_taylor_rul.amp

Only thing I could find  on the other point you made about non violent transgressions. However this was CBS in May 2015

"The SEC rule doesn’t specifically address what happens if an athlete is dismissed from a team due to an arrest and he or she is later found innocent or charges are dropped. The trigger point to prevent a transfer -- including junior college players -- from coming into the league is a player who has been subject to official university or athletics department disciplinary action."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-meetings-new-rule-prevents-transfers-with-serious-misconduct/amp/

However on topic of Bell, I do not think he would be at practice and being considered if any of this were the case. My guess is that he just got old school, in house, football discipline and it was left at that. He was never suspended or faced suspension from what I could find and none of the charges were felonies. Which for non felony charges the discipline is up to the coach/athletic department. Just my opinion though

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Well, it's not as simple as all that. If James and Smith are your best Tackles. You play them at Tackle. That's a more important position than Guard. It just is. If that requires shuffling guys around, you shuffle guys around. If Smith is a 9 at Guard and a 7 at Tackle and you don't have any other 7s at Tackle, he's playing Tackle.

I've said it before, and I really believe, Smith, Golson, and Horton are the only locks to start on that OL. Horton was clearly one of our four or five best last year, but Kozan's experience was too valuable to lose. Landing a true Tackle in Cochran or having a home run in Ashley would pretty much end the OL shuffle. 

Given what I've heard about Ashley, that seems possible.

Hoping for a starting lineup of, left to right, of James-Horton-Golson-Smith-Ashley.

13 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

From AL.com this was from June 2016

"The amendment, one of five legislative proposals the SEC Executive Committee approved on Friday, adds the conference's expectation of "due diligence" into reviewing a prospective transfer's background, adds the circumstances of being convicted or pleading guilty or no contest to a felony involving "serious misconduct," the definition of which was broadened to encompass "dating violence or stalking or conduct of a nature that creates serious concerns about the safety of others."

"SEC commissioner Greg Sankey acknowledged the league has been considering how best to expand the policy, commonly known as the "Jonathan Taylor rule" due to Alabama's acceptance of the defensive lineman despite his dismissal from Georgia for an arrest for domestic violence."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/18715461/sec_amends_jonathan_taylor_rul.amp

Only thing I could find  on the other point you made about non violent transgressions. However this was CBS in May 2015

"The SEC rule doesn’t specifically address what happens if an athlete is dismissed from a team due to an arrest and he or she is later found innocent or charges are dropped. The trigger point to prevent a transfer -- including junior college players -- from coming into the league is a player who has been subject to official university or athletics department disciplinary action."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/sec-meetings-new-rule-prevents-transfers-with-serious-misconduct/amp/

However on topic of Bell, I do not think he would be at practice and being considered if any of this were the case. My guess is that he just got old school, in house, football discipline and it was left at that. He was never suspended or faced suspension from what I could find and none of the charges were felonies. Which for non felony charges the discipline is up to the coach/athletic department. Just my opinion though

I believe that was the article I read---"trigger point to prevent transfer" seems very familiar.

And for the most part I agree about the indications he's in good standing.  Fingers crossed, I suppose.

WDE!

16 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Smith is not a vert good tackle. Not good at all. All-American at guard. Going to need someone to step up at tackle. James is OK. Gets worked by speed rush ends. 

Archived