Scrimmage 4/1/17

All from Gus...

We had a good practice today overall." It was a 55-play scrimmage (1v1, 2v2) mixed in with some practice. Kickoffs and field goals were live. Went through two-minute situations late in the day. "All three phases, I like where we're at."

They're starting to compete. It's good this late in the spring that you have that."

A-Day format will be similar to what it has been. 1s vs 1s, 2s vs 2s. Says that the team's depth will really help.

Gus says the plan with quarterbacks for A-Day will be a "Thursday conversation" with Chip Lindsey.

on Stidham: "He's hard on himself. Most quarterbacks usually are. He's got his handful of things he's tried to focus on to get better. I'm sure Coach Lindsey likes that attitude."

wide receiver competition is heating up. "As a group, they've improved." Will Hastings had some catches out there today.

C.J. Tolbert is in the thick of playing time at running back. "He's a tough guy. I like tough guys."

Malik Willis "has something to him. He has some natural abilities." 

Tray Matthews was back in action today. His performance "stood out"

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AUBURN, Ala. — Scoring has not been Auburn’s forte on offense this spring.

Through two scrimmages, the Tigers have scored only a handful of touchdowns. In fact, the defense matched the offense during a 55-play scrimmage Saturday inside Jordan-Hare Stadium as linebacker Tre’ Williams returned an interception for a touchdown and backup running back C.J. Tolbert scored the offense’s lone touchdown on a five-yard run.

“But overall, in all three phases, I really like where we’re at,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “We’ve got one week, really, of spring left with our spring game coming up Saturday. Our guys are competing. They have a good attitude, a coach me, coach attitude. So I feel good about where we’re at overall.”

Quarterback Jarrett Stidham continued to work with the starters and freshman quarterback Malik Willis responded well after a strong performance in the first scrimmage.

“Just from a quarterback standpoint overall, if you ask me right now, I've been impressed with the group,” Malzahn said. “I think they've all improved and I think they're all doing a good job of wanting to be coached and wanting to get better.”

Walk-on receiver Will Hastings was again Stidham’s favorite target on short throws. “We don't really look at him as a walk-on anymore,” Malzahn said. “He's in the mix competing for playing time. He's done some good things this spring.”

Running back Kam Martin, meanwhile, has been playing some snaps at safety, where the Tigers are extremely thin at both positions behind Tray Matthews and Stephen Roberts.

The defense forced three, three-and-outs during the scrimmage, defensive tackle Dontavius Russell said.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Defense-continues-to-beat-Auburn-Tigers-offense-in-scrimmages-52094761

Tre' Williams, who intercepted Jarrett Stidham and ran it all the way back for a score. Williams and fellow linebacker Darrell Williams stood out during the scrimmage, according to running back Kam Martin.

"They made some big plays," Martin said. "Tre' Williams made an interception. He tipped the ball and took it to the crib. Darrell Williams, he brings the thump when he comes."

Safety Nick Ruffin said the defense also forced a fumble, though Martin disputed that claim, adding that "nobody fumbled the ball or anything." The offense also focused on third-down execution after struggling at times in that department during last week's scrimmage.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2017/04/not_1_thing_that_stood_out_dur.html

7 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Not sure what's up with Malik Miller, looks as if Tolbert is #3RB behind Bubba & KJ. I wonder if he will work info a FB/role.

Dude is coming back from an ACL injury if I'm not mistaken.

Just now, GTNupe11 said:

Dude is coming back from an ACL injury if I'm not mistaken.

Yes he is. Might have even been an MCL also, can't remember. I still think if he add 20-25lbs he would be a force as a FB.

Takes time for qb to build rhythm with Offense and it sounds like Stidham is struggling a bit.  Wonder how different the offense is from previous years in terms of terminology?  Hopefully there isn't too big of a learning curve or the team may struggle coming out of the gate.  im betting a bit of the struggle is due to how good the defense is as well. 

24 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@ScottsboroAuburnFan Make sure you aren't bring stuff over from a pay wall or SEC Rant. That is all. Carry on.

None of that was pay or from Rant. 

Also the stidham bit was a little April fool lol. Got em

1 minute ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

None of that was pay or from Rant. 

Also the stidham bit was a little April fool lol. Got em

Good lord man

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I hope we don't Tristan Davis Kam Martin.

What if we Rudy Ford him?

I am expecting a lot of check downs to will next week, the defense to completely outplay the offense and Malik to be the show.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I am expecting a lot of check downs to will next week, the defense to completely outplay the offense and Malik to be the show.

Seems about right

31 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

OL was awful. Not a April Fools joke.

Not liked

well how bad does the o line look?

Archived