Scrimmage 4/1/17

For those annointing Stidham starter already, he DID throw a pick 6 today. And for those crowing about Tolbert's prowess - let's talk after Devan Barrett sets foot on campus. Typical spring. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

For those annointing Stidham starter already, he DID throw a pick 6 today. And for those crowing about Tolbert's prowess - let's talk after Devan Barrett sets foot on campus. Typical spring. 

You mean he threw an interception?! No way. Cancel his scholarship. 

21 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

What else are we gonna talk about ?? Basketball??? Lol ... 

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well how bad does the o line look?

40 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

well how bad does the o line look?

Bad. Still spring so no need to be alarmed yet. 

43 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Wait.... you're saying Stidham shouldn't be anointed the starter because he threw a ball that was tipped and picked off? Not sure how one INT all of a sudden prevents people from seeing that he's the mos talented QB on the roster. 

And CJ probably had a good day, but if this scrimmage was anything like last week's, he, Miller, and Kam Martin split the bulk of the load. It's easier for him to have a good day when he's getting carried he won't normally get in the fall. He probably won't really factor into the depth chart in the fall unless we have a rash of injuries. 

I think this will be th type of team that, if the have success, will be down the stretch. Think 2005.

This is why I wish Braden would stay at guard. We saw how much better our line got last year when we put Golson back at center. Again we have three starters back, and lose three next year. Given the number of teams that do well with less than 3 returning OL starters, there's no excuse to have to rely on 2010-level experience in that unit.

Is it true that Pettway and Johnson didn't play much? We return 96 percent of our running production from last year, that was first in the SEC in YPG.

In other words, we ain't a "young" team.

WDE, I'm more interested in where the issues are on the line than the overall play at this point. What do you see/hear as the problem area? Tackles struggling or inconsistency inside? I'm of the opinion that both James and Smith would be better at Guard, but I also think Horton is too good to keep out if the starting group. So one will likely play outside when all is said and done. Are we seeing problems in pass pro on the edge? Harrell still up and down at LG?

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Wait.... you're saying Stidham shouldn't be anointed the starter because he threw a ball that was tipped and picked off? Not sure how one INT all of a sudden prevents people from seeing that he's the mos talented QB on the roster. 

And CJ probably had a good day, but if this scrimmage was anything like last week's, he, Miller, and Kam Martin split the bulk of the load. It's easier for him to have a good day when he's getting carried he won't normally get in the fall. He probably won't really factor into the depth chart in the fall unless we have a rash of injuries. 

Nope, didn't say that.

9 hours ago, Win4AU said:

What if we Rudy Ford him?

Let's do it quick and not wait until his senior/junior year to flip him around.  And it may make sense if he has that kind of talent to reinforce safety/nickel position and if our freshman backs and Tolbert can pick up the slack.  Just don't waste his talent.

9 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Bad. Still spring so no need to be alarmed yet. 

Like really no reason to be alarmed yet or the line I stole from you no reason to be alarmed yet?

'Not 1 thing that stood out' during Auburn's 2nd spring scrimmage

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's second scrimmage of the spring wasn't as long -- or as prosperous, offensively -- as its first.

The Tigers held a 55-play scrimmage inside Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday, a week removed from a 107-play scrimmage. The shortened affair yielded less scoring than the team's first outing in the stadium this spring, but still saw two touchdowns on the day: one from each side of the ball.

"There's really not one thing that stood out, other than that I like the way both sides are competing," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "That's really what's standing out to me. Not one side is giving in to the other, not one side is giving in to the other, not one side didn't have any energy today. They both brought great energy. They both were very competitive. They're starting to compete. It's good, this late in spring, that you have that."

The 55-play scrimmage was split fairly evenly between the first- and second-team units, with the ones going against the ones and the twos squaring off against the twos. It also featured live kickoffs, kickoff returns, extra points and field goal attempts. The day finished with two 2-minute drills.

Much like last week's scrimmage, Malzahn said there was about a 60/40 split between the run calls and pass plays on Saturday. Unlike last week, when quarterbacks Woody Barrett and Malik Willis went live, none of Auburn's signal-callers went live on Saturday, with all of them practicing in orange non-contact jerseys. Sean White remained limited to 7-of-7 drills.

Rewinding what Gus Malzahn said about Auburn's second spring scrimmage

Rewinding what Gus Malzahn said about Auburn's second spring scrimmage

Follow along with updates from the press conference following Auburn's spring scrimmage on Saturday

The lone touchdown of the scrimmage was scored by walk-on running back C.J. Tolbert. The former Dadeville product, who has been in the mix competing for the Tigers' No. 3 running back spot behind Kamryn Pettway and Kerryon Johnson, had about a 5-yard run for a score.

"CJ Tolbert is a guy who can step in and help us if we have any trouble in the backfield," wide receiver Jason Smith said.

The other touchdown came courtesy of a pick-six by linebacker Tre' Williams, who intercepted Jarrett Stidham and ran it all the way back for a score. Williams and fellow linebacker Darrell Williams stood out during the scrimmage, according to running back Kam Martin.

"They made some big plays," Martin said. "Tre' Williams made an interception. He tipped the ball and took it to the crib. Darrell Williams, he brings the thump when he comes."

RELATED: Auburn's leading tackler returns from injury

Safety Nick Ruffin said the defense also forced a fumble, though Martin disputed that claim, adding that "nobody fumbled the ball or anything." The offense also focused on third-down execution after struggling at times in that department during last week's scrimmage.

"Overall, in all three phases, I really like where we're at," Malzahn said. "We've got one week, really, of spring left with our spring game coming up Saturday. Our guys are competing. They have a good attitude, a coach me, coach attitude. So I feel good about where we're at overall."

11 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

WDE, I'm more interested in where the issues are on the line than the overall play at this point. What do you see/hear as the problem area? Tackles struggling or inconsistency inside? I'm of the opinion that both James and Smith would be better at Guard, but I also think Horton is too good to keep out if the starting group. So one will likely play outside when all is said and done. Are we seeing problems in pass pro on the edge? Harrell still up and down at LG?

The tackles. Been saying for months we have a problem. Hope Ashley is all the staff thinks he is. 

Also glad the kid from FSU saw that yesterday. He has to be licking his chops right now about starting for AU. 

4 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

The tackles. Been saying for months we have a problem. Hope Ashley is all the staff thinks he is. 

Also glad the kid from FSU saw that yesterday. He has to be licking his chops right now about starting for AU. 

Who is the FSU kid?

I am hoping this is residual effects from also defensive play . Nevertheless, the offensive line needs to get it together or it won't matter who we have back there at QB.

39 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Including B Smith?

Spring is a lose-lose situation in today's era of social media. If the offense moves the ball up and down the field the defense is horrible. If the defense makes big plays it's because the QB made bad decisions. The reality is, most of the scrimmages are designed to be very vanilla with an assortment of starters held out. Throw in open practices coupled with Gus's paranoia and you get an even more limited perspective. I bet come fall, the product will be strong!  

OLine  cant be that horrible, can they? James wasn't horrible at Tackle, I know we have 5 guards starting but James at least showed promise at Tackle & if we get a GT or Smith/Ashley maybe can  over the other spot. Which leaves one Guard spot unknown. Maybe it's just a gel issue.

I have to think Cochran is a priority at LT. That would allow James, Smith, Wanogho, and Ashley to compete for the RT spot. Then the dominoes start to fall into place. I'm not too worried about the OL right now. Lots and lots of talent. It's about fitting the pieces together. 

People are getting too hung up on reports of the Spring scrimmages. During these scrimmages, they mix and match players and try a lot of different things. Coaches try to get the younger players on the field in order to allow coaches to evaluate how they respond under pressure. Not saying the spring scrimmages are not important, but I would not count on the spring scrimmages as a real indicator of where the team will be in the fall.

A lot of the spring is for coaches to determine what weaknesses and where strengths exist. Coaches will look to see how they can address these weaknesses. They will move people to different positions and try them out to see if there is some synergy in moving a player(s) to a certain position. Does it work, is it a possibility, or is it just a bad fit? They will also use this time to put the team in bad situations to see how they handle it. On the strengths side of the equation, they will work on these and find out how to best utilize them under certain situations.

There are some holes to be filled on this team, but they are not as glaring as some believe. Right now the O-Line does has some holes that need to be addressed, but the coaches are not in panic mode. They are working on it. It could be filled by a grad transfer, or it may simple be a matter of more individual one on one work.

The defense is ahead of the offense for a very good reason. Our defense is extremely talented and experienced with a second year coach. I predict that they will be even better than last year, especially if they can weather the injury bug. I know fans worry about this, but this is actually a good thing.

Our offense will not have to play against a better defense in the SEC than our own, with the possible exception of LSU and Bama. Having to practice against one of the top defenses in the SEC, will only make our offense better and become more creative. If we had a mediocre defense and the offense was struggling, then I would start worrying. As it is, our offense struggling against our defense, is not a bad thing. Remember too that our known quantities like Kerryon and Pettway, are not really heavily engaged in these scrimmages and that makes a huge difference. 

I am not going to get too worried or too excited based on spring training practice reports and especially A-Day.  

wde

6 hours ago, Barnacle said:

You talking about Casey Dunn from JSU? 

Florida State guard Wilson Bell, who has started 19 games in the past two seasons, plans to play his final season as a graduate transfer. He already has been removed from the roster on FSU’s website.

Bell started all 14 games for Florida State as a redshirt sophomore in 2015, playing right guard. Last season, he played in 10 games and started five, including the season-opening victory against Ole Miss and the regular-season finale against rival Florida.

Bell, from Mobile (Ala.) Blount, came to the Seminoles as a three-star prospect in the 2013 signing class. His freshman year was derailed by a knee injury, but he returned at full strength.

Cole Minshew and Landon Dickerson are the top two FSU guards, but Bell would’ve vied with both for a starting spot.

In December, the Tallahassee Democrat reported that Bell was arrested for failure to appear in court in connection with an earlier hit-and-run crash. But he did play in the Orange Bowl against Michigan.

Bell will likely be a coveted addition for teams looking for help on the offensive line. Currently, CBSSports.com ranks him as the No. 7 guard for the 2018 NFL Draft class.

http://gridironnow.com/wilson-bell-leaving-fsu-graduate-transfer/

When he signed with FSU he said it was agonizing to pick FSU over his "dream school" which was AU.

Archived