Scrimmage 4/1/17

Totally off topic (but maybe more fun from my perspective), but @McLoofus, I think you could make a pretty good argument that Meyer-coached teams have had nearly identical success. In his last ten seasons as a coach, he's had one or fewer losses six times. Think about that. When you start a season with Urban as a coach, you're more likely than not (60% chance) to lose one game or less. Not even Nick Saban can match that ("only" five seasons of one or fewer losses in the last ten). Saban has taken Bama to the playoff or the title game six times. In the last ten years, Meyer has taken Florida or tOSU to the title game or playoff four times. In a fifth season, his team went undefeated but was disqualified from postseason play due to the previous head coach... that'd would likely have been a fifth time. Saban is 6-2 in national title/CFP games. Meyer is 4-1 in those games.

Saban's a little bit ahead, but it's damn close. One good year by Meyer, and you'd have a real argument on your hands.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the topic, I suspect our OT outlook will seem very different next year. From the folks I've talked to, PT Wanogho is going to be a very, very good Tackle. It's just a matter of time for him to round into form. He's athletic as hell so I buy it. If you tell me that Ashley is what we think he is; Wanogho and Sammons have another year to develop; and we sign one or two OTs... that position becomes a strength. It's just that, for this season, we thin there, and we could really use both a true freshman stepping in ready to play and a grad transfer to work at the position. If we have Cochran, Ashley, and James at Tackle, we're going to be at least as good as we were last year.

Just now, mcgufcm said:

Totally off topic (but maybe more fun from my perspective), but @McLoofus, I think you could make a pretty good argument that Meyer-coached teams have had nearly identical success. In his last ten seasons as a coach, he's had one or fewer losses six times. Think about that. When you start a season with Urban as a coach, you're more likely than not (60% chance) to lose one game or less. Not even Nick Saban can match that ("only" five seasons of one or fewer losses in the last ten). Saban has taken Bama to the playoff or the title game six times. In the last ten years, Meyer has taken Florida or tOSU to the title game or playoff four times. In a fifth season, his team went undefeated but was disqualified from postseason play due to the previous head coach... that'd would likely have been a fifth time. Saban is 6-2 in national title/CFP games. Meyer is 4-1 in those games.

Saban's a little bit ahead, but it's damn close. One good year by Meyer, and you'd have a real argument on your hands.

saban's been playing in the SEC West. Meyer's been playing in either the East or the Big Twhatever. That said, that's closer than I thought and I will concede that Meyer took saban behind the woodshed the last time they faced each other. 

13 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Discounting low four stars and, suggesting five stars are the answer is/was far too simplistic of a suggestion.

Suggesting that superior talent usually beats inferior talent is merely stating fact. 

I readily concede that Saban's run in basically unprecedented. But I remain fascinated by how much those two guys have dominated the sport. Saban or Meyer coached teams have played for the national title eight times in the last 11 years. They've won it seven of those eight times. Two coaches, three teams, seven titles (4 for one coach; 3 for the other) in 11 years. That's insane.

Isn't it weird that Auburn appeared in two of the three title games that did not involve Saban or Meyer? If you exclude Saban, Meyer, and Auburn, you're left with one season:  2007. Meyer's in-between year (transitioning from Leak to Tebow), Saban's first year at Bama, and Tubs' last year at Auburn. You had Les Miles and LSU against Bob Stoops and OU. That's the only title game that did not involve one of those three entities. Very strange.

2 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

For the level that he coaches on, for the kind of money being paid, I think you have to expect to see something you haven't seen and,,,,have well thought out contingency plans.

Surely, no one believed the DEs would stand still, frozen, forever.  

FTR, it is a very common and effective blocking scheme.  We have run it effectively since Chizik was coach. The only reason people are so up in arms about it now is that Myles destroyed it on the first play of the game.  He did it by utilizing one of those defensive methods to stop the ZR I listed earlier. He attacked the mesh point which limited the time and angle we had previously to block out on the ends.  The majority if the time, if ends are gap exchanging with the backer and crashing the dive, then the block works just like the old inside trap block.  

3 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Agree with that starting OL. I'd move Cochren over with James. The guards at AU are as good as anyone in the country including the backups. We hurting with the tackles.  

Is Cochren a good football player? I get he is huge but that's doesn't always make for success at OT.  

5 minutes ago, mikeholiday said:

Is Cochren a good football player? I get he is huge but that's doesn't always make for success at OT.  

Very good pass blocker so so on run blocking imo....Cal was almost 50/50 on pass/run

42 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Very good pass blocker so so on run blocking imo....Cal was almost 50/50 on pass/run

I didn't realize they ran that much. They must've ran a lot of plays period.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Suggesting that superior talent usually beats inferior talent is merely stating fact. 

Gee, thanks.  Right back to where we began.  Someone please call the coaching staff and tell them to stop recruiting four star linemen.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I didn't realize they ran that much. They must've ran a lot of plays period.

My bad more like 70/30

Passing

Passing
Rk Player Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Davis Webb 382 620  61.6 4295 6.9 7.3 37 12 135.6
2 Dylan Klumph 1 1 100.0 11 11.0 11.0 0 0 192.4

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Rk Player Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
1 Khalfani Muhammad 152  827  5.4 2 17 132 7.8 0 169 959 5.7 2
2 Tre Watson 143  709 5.0 4 21 241 11.5 4 164 950 5.8 8
3 Vic Enwere 61 336 5.5 2 4 10 2.5 0 65 346 5.3 2
4 Davis Webb 33 -110 -3.3 6         33 -110 -3.3 6

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Passing

Passing
Rk Player Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
1 Davis Webb 382 620 61.6 4295 6.9 7.3 37 12 135.6
2 Dylan Klumph 1 1 100.0 11 11.0 11.0 0 0 192.4

Rushing & Receiving

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Rk Player Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
1 Khalfani Muhammad 152  827 5.4 2 17 132 7.8 0 169 959 5.7 2
2 Tre Watson 143  709 5.0 4 21 241 11.5 4 164 950 5.8 8
3 Vic Enwere 61 336 5.5 2 4 10 2.5 0 65 346 5.3 2
4 Davis Webb 33 -110 -3.3 6         33 -110 -3.3 6

Math hurts my brain. So does google atm.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Math hurts my brain. So does google atm.

more like 70-30 I thought they passed the ball a lot more Webb pass attempts...620 wow

34 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

more like 70-30 I thought they passed the ball a lot more Webb pass attempts...620 wow

Yeah my thoughts too. :o

On 4/4/2017 at 9:12 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

James is good. Just doesn't have the tools to defend against some very good speed rushers. Same as last year. 

Is there any other type of good DE besides a "speed rusher?" If so, can he block against them? Also, why not Prince at RT? I don't know if he's 100% adjusted to the game yet, but I think it'd be worth it if it means having Braden at the position he's actually good at. I'd keep him there at least until Ashley arrives. Hopefully the coaches learned from the contrast in line play last year between the first four games and the rest of the season.

3 hours ago, AUwent said:

Is there any other type of good DE besides a "speed rusher?

Yes. There are guys like Marlon Davidson who are not speed rushers but still very good DEs.

I was about to say, the only guys that I would call pure speed rushers on the edge in the SEC West are Marquis Haynes, Arden Key, and Rasaan Evans. That's just about the entire list. We play a bunch of good edge players, but no others come to mind as speed guys.

Archived