Softball vs. Georgia - game 3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting the bat on the ball and really working the Ga pitcher....she's near 100 pitches in just 3 innings.  

Meanwhile, Carlson looking really sharp thus far.

Nice DP from Cooper ....helped cover over the error moments ago....2 outs now. 

georgia gets the first two batters on.  Next batter, chopper to Cooper, and she steps on the bag at 3rd and throws to Veach at 1st to complete the double play.   That's Auburn's 27 double play on the season and that leads the NCAA.   2 outs.

Just now, AU64 said:

Nice DP from Cooper ....helped cover over the error moments ago....2 outs now. 

It was a play Cooper probably should have made but it wasn't ruled an error.

Fagan makes a great diving attempt and almost completed the catch .   georgia gets a run.  Lined to right caught by Rivera to end the inning.  Auburn leads 3-1.    Draper, then back to the top of the order with Wallace and Cooper.

okay that was the "hit" inning for Georgia and they only get 1 run.  So time to put 8 runs on them.

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

Been several plays that could have been made but were not made...statistically it's not a factor but the infield defense is not looking good....just doing the basics I guess but there are some missed opportunities that have kept Carlson's back to the wall.

3 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Similar play last night and ruled an error by the Georgia 3rd baseman (hurts AU player batting average) play on Cooper ruled a hit?

bunt single now a liner off the glove of Veach and into right field.  Throw comes in to 2nd to get the runner going to 2nd, Fagan fields it but the runner slides into her and the ball comes out.  Run scores.   runner at 2nd.  no outs.  Auburn leads 3-2.

so is our defense falling apart or just good hits by Georgia?

High  chopper to short, Fagan goes back to get it and bumps the runner going to 3rd, no throw.   Runners on 1st and 3rd.  Umpires are discussing the play now Myers is out talking to the umpire covering the bases.    That umpire covering the bases is the same one that called Wallace for illegally blocking the plate last night.     Game is tied 3-3.

Well, we won't see that umpire in Auburn.  I am sure Clint will call the office and say don't schedule her for an Auburn game.  Blew the obstruction call last night and blows the interference call today.

1 minute ago, WarTiger said:

umpires not reversing any decision here, so runners on 1st and 3rd with 1 out.

Yeah, if the call is not made, hard to reverse it.  Fagan did field the ball cleanly and I am not sure there was any contact.  So I can understand the no call but it was obvious by Cooper's reaction she thought interference, that is why she signaled to Fagan to not throw it.

Shame when the players know the rules better than the officials.

Fly ball to right, Rivera makes the catch, runner tags, Throw home by Rivera and Shea applies the tag and she is OUT.      Batter on deck and the 3rd base coach are holding their arms out trying to get another obstruction call (which is completely ridiculous.    That ends the inning.  After 4 complete, game is tied 3-3. 

Fagan, Veach and Shea coming up

1 minute ago, GBAU83 said:

Well, we won't see that umpire in Auburn.  I am sure Clint will call the office and say don't schedule her for an Auburn game.  Blew the obstruction call last night and blows the interference call today.

From the announcers explanation, I think by the letter of the interference rule she was justified in not calling it. The spirit of the rule is another beast. That runner clearly ran outside of the baseline and made contact with a player attempting to field a ball and shouldve been ruled out for that alone. The "needing to make an act of throwing" is BS reason if the interference makes a throw an unreasonable choice.

Just now, GBAU83 said:

Yeah, if the call is not made, hard to reverse it.  Fagan did field the ball cleanly and I am not sure there was any contact.  So I can understand the no call but it was obvious by Cooper's reaction she thought interference, that is why she signaled to Fagan to not throw it.

Shame when the players know the rules better than the officials.

That's really not true.   We saw it happen in Gainesville.   Also, Fagan probably had a better chance to get the call if she had made the throw to Cooper.   I assure you the players don't know the rules better than the officials.  Not even close.

2 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

From the announcers explanation, I think by the letter of the interference rule she was justified in not calling it. The spirit of the rule is another beast. That runner clearly ran outside of the baseline and made contact with a player attempting to field a ball and shouldve been ruled out for that alone. The "needing to make an act of throwing" is BS reason if the interference makes a throw an unreasonable choice.

Common misnomer.  There is not such thing as a base line between 1st and 2nd or 2nd and 3rd.  

Archived