Stidham impacting defense

aubiefifty

How Jarrett Stidham is impacting Auburn's defense this spring

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

The addition of Jarrett Stidham combined with a more passing-oriented offense under offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey has impacted Auburn's defense as well.

The Tigers defensive backs are getting more reps in pass coverage this spring than in years past, with each of the first two scrimmages including approximately 40 percent passing plays in the estimation of coach Gus Malzahn.

That number of passes might be low elsewhere, but at a run-first program that's traditionally leaned to around 80 percent of keeping the ball on the ground in scrimmages, it's a big change.

"It gives us a lot more action in the back end," cornerback Carlton Davis said. "I'm happy about it because it's a lot more competition and I'm not just out there sticking dummy routes. It's a chance for me to get better; that's how I see it."

Jarrett Stidham already 'looks like an SEC starter'

Jarrett Stidham already 'looks like an SEC starter'

Jarrett Stidham has been competing for the starting job this spring with incumbent starter Sean White, redshirt freshman Woody Barrett and freshman Malik Willis.

The whole Auburn secondary has appreciated the impact of its workload.

"We get more looks," safety Nick Ruffin said. "We get more routes, we get more work as opposed just coming down or running and hitting people all day. It definitely helps us. We get to learn, work on our technique work, work on more of a variation of calls because they are passing more."

Each side has made some big plays during the first two spring scrimmages.

Stidham had one touchdown throw in the opening scrimmage and the defense had an interception returned for a touchdown on a tipped ball by linebacker Tre' Williams last week.

There were other big throws from Stidham, who enjoys that aspect of the offense.

"Some of the similarities (Lindsey) has with what I've done at Baylor, some of the deeper passing game," Stidham said. "It's been a lot of fun and a lot of it I've done before. Kind of second nature with some of it."

A different look from the offense presents a chance for new secondary coach Greg Brown to cover different areas than in years past as well.

"Jarrett's an outstanding quarterback," Brown said. "I'll let our offensive (coaches) say it, but he's an outstanding quarterback. So it's a great challenge to defend receivers that are having the ball thrown to them by him; but the whole slew of quarterbacks are doing a great job."

Competition breeds excellence.  Passing the ball more helps our DBs which in turn forces our WRs to get better.  Excited to see this play out on the field.

Archived