Read Option

Barnacle

Understanding that this question may be dependent upon offensive line play, let's assume for the purpose of this question that our offensive line is able to do everything asked of them come September. 

What role with the read option play in Chip/Gus's offense? Obviously, it's been a centerpiece of Gus's offense since he's been at Auburn, but the last two seasons, especially last season we've seen any read plays turn into de facto hand offs to our running backs, with few exceptions. Sean carrying out his fakes served to keep the defense somewhat honest, and maybe that's the approach Chip will take this season. Thoughts? If Stidham starts, and our passing game gets going, how much will they attempt to run him? 3-5x a game? 5-8?

Happy Monday, and Happy Masters week!

The read option became an center piece when Marshal was the QB.  And even then, it didn't become the center piece until the Ole Miss game in 2013.  Then there were numerous interviews before the 2014 season where Gus and Rhett repeatedly stated that they were going to get away from being a strictly read option only offense since Nick Marshal had developed so much as a QB and better understood the offense.  Then after the K-State and Miss State games Gus and Rhett went right back to the read option because I played directly to Marshal's strengths. Gus NEVER based his offense around the read-option, it was just one play of many that he would use with mobile QB's, not Chris Todd's or Sean White's.  I think with Stidham the read option play will be utilized but the coaches will not make it a read-option offense.

9 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

The read option became an center piece when Marshal was the QB.  And even then, it didn't become the center piece until the Ole Miss game in 2013.  Then there were numerous interviews before the 2014 season where Gus and Rhett repeatedly stated that they were going to get away from being a strictly read option only offense since Nick Marshal had developed so much as a QB and better understood the offense.  Then after the K-State and Miss State games Gus and Rhett went right back to the read option because I played directly to Marshal's strengths. Gus NEVER based his offense around the read-option, it was just one play of many that he would use with mobile QB's, not Chris Todd's or Sean White's.  I think with Stidham the read option play will be utilized but the coaches will not make it a read-option offense.

If I would have thought hard enough, I would have remembered this. You're absolutely right, we didn't start to utilize it consistently until 2013, but it's seemed to be so integral since then, that I forgot what the offense looked like pre-Marshall. I've just been surprised with how much he's continued to use it since Marshall's departure. 

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I've just been surprised with how much he's continued to use it since Marshall's departure. 

I feel like it's been used a lot more across football- college and pro- since 2013. I'm not sure if there are more OCs who use zone blocking schemes, more DT QBs, etc, but it's definitely more of a thing in general than it used to be. I think bama even ran some last year. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like it's been used a lot more across football- college and pro- since 2013. I'm not sure if there are more OCs who use zone blocking schemes, more DT QBs, etc, but it's definitely more of a thing in general than it used to be. I think bama even ran some last year. 

Probably so....football is notorious for the fact that coaches jump on anything that seems to work somewhere else and try it with their teams.  I mean, it would be pretty hard to watch what NM did with the read option (even if some of them were fake reads) and not give it a try if they had a similarly athletic QB.   

JMO but I sure don't see Stidham as a read option QB....though if CL wanted to run him several times a game,  that's one way to do it.   Guess I'd be more inclined to have him keep the ball every now and then on some of the end-around or fly sweep plays.   Just thinking how many times the defenses totally ignore a QB after he's made a good fake on a play going wide. ....even when gimpy, SW made some decent yardage on those kind of plays.

19 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, I guess I've been more surprised given who we've played at quarterback. I'd love for Gus and Chip to run it non-stop until Clemson, when we show an offense no one has seen before.

wait....I've seen that movie before. Didn't work out. 

39 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

If I would have thought hard enough, I would have remembered this. You're absolutely right, we didn't start to utilize it consistently until 2013, but it's seemed to be so integral since then, that I forgot what the offense looked like pre-Marshall. I've just been surprised with how much he's continued to use it since Marshall's departure. 

Well that is where Malzahn earned the "Genius" label.  He built the offense around one player.  He turned one play into an entire offense.  He also was the first to utilize a fullback in the read-option picking up an additional defender so if the QB decided to run it could allow for about 10 more yards.  Hence why it was more impressive in 13 with Prosch on the offense than 14 without him.  And the  thing is it worked really really well.  But if it could go wrong it has gone wrong since then. 

2015 got off to such a bad start I think Gus new the pressure was on.  After he pulled Johnson for White I think he went back to the read as a panic move.  Honestly, between Stidham, Barret and Malik, and with Cox still on the offense I would really hope to see the return read-option.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The read-option has been figured out by DC's.  

That's why I like using it sparingly, unless you have the type of athlete that can neutralize a defense on his own. 

My hope for Stidham isn't that he is a guy who can step in and run the read/option offense. My hope is that he's the type of guy who is athletic enough to extend plays on his own - and still make big plays down the field. 

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes it has.  But like the option, it gets figured out, goes away, then someone brings it back and no one knows how to stop it.  Gus could bring it back for a season and do some damage. Should it be permanent? Probably not, but I would like to see it come back in some capacity.

7 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Yes it has.  But like the option, it gets figured out, goes away, then someone brings it back and no one knows how to stop it.  Gus could bring it back for a season and do some damage. Should it be permanent? Probably not, but I would like to see it come back in some capacity.

It's definitely a play that if you can catch the defense in the wrong personnel, you can absolutely do some damage via the hurry up. 2013 SEC Championship comes to mind. 

53 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

It's definitely a play that if you can catch the defense in the wrong personnel, you can absolutely do some damage via the hurry up. 2013 SEC Championship comes to mind. 

I always felt like the 2013 SECCG was more about Tre Mason playing like a man with his hair on fire.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Not. If it could be figured out it would have been long ago. If you have the personnel to run it it works. Until Cam Gus had barely used it. With Marshall, Mason and that oline he wore it out. I hope it is never 80% of the offense again, but not because anyone has figured it out. 

13 minutes ago, AUTiger2012 said:

I always felt like the 2013 SECCG was more about Tre Mason playing like a man with his hair on fire.

It was the combo of Tre, Marshal, and Prosch. Really Prosch imo. 

8 minutes ago, alexava said:

Not. If it could be figured out it would have been long ago. If you have the personnel to run it it works. Until Cam Gus had barely used it. With Marshall, Mason and that oline he wore it out. I hope it is never 80% of the offense again, but not because anyone has figured it out. 

Its not hard. Its all about alignment and assignment. There is a reason why no one really runs it anymore.  Same way no one runs the triple option. Its been figured out.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Its not hard. Its all about alignment and assignment. There is a reason why no one really runs it anymore.  Same way no one runs the triple option. Its been figured out.

Like I said, it shouldn't be permanent. A pure option offense, not today.  Having an option play that you don't use to death can be dangerous if you break it out once or twice a season.  The triple option was dangerous at Tech for a few seasons, but eventually you can used to playing it every year.  I agree though, look at tech bowl record.  Anyone that has more than a week to prepare shuts Tech down.  But again, if Gus wen't heavy on the read option against only Clemson, LSU, or Bama I don't think they could make then in game adjustments to stop it.  2014 Saban faced Gus' read option for the second season, with no Jay Prosch, and the O still hung up 44 on Bama.

4 ways to defend ZR

1. Gap exchange or Scrape exchange with the DE and LB

2. Attack the mesh (think Myles Garrett)

3. Bring a safety down and run Cvr 3 behind 

4. Blitz 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

So Nick Saban wasn't smart enough to figure it out with 7-8 game films in '13 then nearly every team in 14? You have to pass off of it but it will work. Having Greg Robinson helps too. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

I would say DCs except Oregon.  Leaving Fairley to run free was an epic fail! 

Archived