Tolbert and Hastings

aubiefifty

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

How are these mutually inclusive? Philip Rivers has crap receivers around him for the last two years but is still considered a premier QB in the league. It is not unheard of.

Didn't say it was.

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Didn't say it was.

You said it was odd, but it isn't odd at all. It happens at all levels. The fact of the matter is we haven't heard much pub from our scholarship WRs. It is good that Will Hasting is building up chemistry with JS, but if we are going to reach that next level, our big playmaker WRs are going to have to step up and live up to that potential. It is good to have a Renfrow on your team, but w/out a Mike Williams, a Deon Cain, a Jordan Legget, the top 3 leading WRs on that team, Clemson is not nearly as successful. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

You said it was odd, but it isn't odd at all. It happens at all levels. The fact of the matter is we haven't heard much pub from our scholarship WRs. It is good that Will Hasting is building up chemistry with JS, but if we are going to reach that next level, our big playmaker WRs are going to have to step up and live up to that potential. It is good to have a Renfrow on your team, but w/out a Mike Williams, a Deon Cain, a Jordan Legget, the top 3 leading WRs on that team, Clemson is not nearly as successful. 

It is odd. Even though it happens at all levels it still isn't the norm.

37 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It is odd. Even though it happens at all levels it still isn't the norm.

If it happens at all levels then that it isn't odd. Odd is something unique . I can go to every major sport on probably every level and find an example of this . Heck , Cam Newton went through this in 2015 and he won the MVP. You could google a list of great athletes surrounded by bad personnel . It is a lot more normal than most people think and it can ruin careers. But that is neither here nor there.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

If it happens at all levels then that it isn't odd. Odd is something unique . I can go to every major sport on probably every level and find an example of this . Heck , Cam Newton went through this in 2015 and he won the MVP. You could google a list of great athletes surrounded by bad personnel . It is a lot more normal than most people think and it can ruin careers. But that is neither here nor there.

Odd is defined as different from what is usual or expected. Even though it does happen at all level it does not happen much at any level as relates to overall norms. Therefore it is an oddity because it's not a norm.

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Hmm, odd.

Odd indeed Odd indeed. At the end of the day. Whatever. The bottom line is freaking Will Hastings cannot be our number 1 playmaker at the WR end. If he is our number 1 option, we are in some trouble. 

One concern is that I was very inpressed by Hastings route running and quickness....until we played the teams that mattered.  He didin't seem quite as quick once we played the teams with elite SEC talent.  

Is there reason to believe that has changed or are we fooling ourselves again and simply noticing a guy who is good enough to stand out in spring ball against our second string secondary?

I suspect the answer is somewhere in between, as usual.

Hastings had limited playing time in HS as a WR (though I think he broke, or came close to breaking, the record for receiving yards in a season). His footwork and speed come from his days playing soccer. He never wanted to play football but did so after his sister and the coaches begged him to play kicker, hence him walking on as a kicker for Auburn. Not getting much attention or offers out of HS doesn't surprise me.

I do think he's one of the best pass-catching WRs we have. His size is his main negative. Short yardage and red zone type packages should really work on getting him the ball. It seems strange that he is becoming a middle of the field option but I'm assuming that is mostly because of his speed versus mostly LB coverage.

I went to a few practices and the three most impressive WRs I've seen (albeit limited) were JF3, Hastings, and Slayton.

I've been out of touch this spring (work work work lately) - but is Kyle Davis back or was the reason he was out ever discussed? Is NCM still underperforming? What's going on out there? lol

16 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I've been out of touch this spring (work work work lately) - but is Kyle Davis back or was the reason he was out ever discussed? Is NCM still underperforming? What's going on out there? lol

KD is still out and personal reasons is all that can be said publically. No clue on NCM.

28 minutes ago, ellitor said:

KD is still out and personal reasons is all that can be said publically. No clue on NCM.

Man, I hope everything is okay with KD and his family. Would hate to lose him for non-disciplinary reasons (or any reason really).

On 4/5/2017 at 11:06 AM, DAG said:

Sometimes you need that middle of the field guy to create that outside guy.

Archived