Finebaum said yesterday

aubiefifty

that he keeps hearing stidham is the real deal and he expects them to dominate from all he is hearing behind the scenes from coaches and the so called "experts". and i believe he also said in a couple of days he would cover more on the subject. i take meds that often keep me kinda confused about things but i believe i got the update thing right. i know he said he expects us to dominate. so if anyone listens or watches and sees him update his statements please update this in case i miss it for some reason. thanx

Yes, I did hear that as well.  He was saying he would be able to explain more in a couple of days but that he thought AU would be a formidable opponent this year for the turds.  Which coming from Finebaum, that is like him predicting we are going to win the NC.

Depends if Stidham is our QB or if Gus goes with a five headed monster like he did last year against Clemson.

Also I have a question, now that Lindsey is OC, are we done seeing this running back by committee thing?  Or the it is going to take 3-4 weeks to figure out what direction Gus wants to take the offense in? 

1 minute ago, ToomersStreet said:

Depends if Stidham is our QB or if Gus goes with a five headed monster like he did last year against Clemson.

Also I have a question, now that Lindsey is OC, are we done seeing this running back by committee thing?  Or the it is going to take 3-4 weeks to figure out what direction Gus wants to take the offense in? 

Do we even utilize a committee when running the ball if somebody doesn't get hurt? Pettway saw 1 snap against Clemson. Then when KJ is gimpy we run KP into the ground. I'd prefer we actually use a committee than forcing one guy to touch the ball 35-40 times a game.

I really, really, really hope we don't take 1/3 of our season to figure out who we are...that's what fall practice is for. I get you never 100% know what you have until the lights come on, but damn using 4 games to figure it out is unacceptable and quite frankly very amateurish.

3 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I would be very surprised if we are done with RB by committee.  Most all teams have 1A & 1B RBs that they rotate on a regular basis.  Especially ones that are as run heavy as we are.  We should continue to use 3 or maybe even 4 if there is not a huge drop off in ability.  This keeps the carries down and legs fresh through the season.  Now what I don't wanna see is QB by committee.  Pick one and go with him

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

To be fair, this will be the first time that Gus has had his RBs coming back. I mean, yeah, he had KJ and KP in '15, but he also had Barber, Thomas and Robinson, and KJ and KP were true freshmen. It doesn't surprise me that KP didn't make much noise in that group in year 1, especially since *everyone* thought he'd be an Hback. Also, we had our early round draft pic at RB1 melt down somewhat unexpectedly. Last year, we had crazy injury issues. RBs 1-4 all dealt with injuries at one point or another. That's freaking brutal. 

Anyway, we know what KJ and KP are now. And, that being the case, we've gotten to know a lot more about the guys behind them. As the others said, we'll still be rotating guys just like any other team, but I'd be surprised if we're still trying to identify strengths and weaknesses at that position* in weeks 4-5. 

*I'm sure we'll have plenty of learning yet to do at a few other positions.

I wouldn't take anything that Finebaum says as anything but what it is, a debate point. He has always seemed to relish Auburn falling short of expectations. I don't trust him. He is the serpent in the garden, tempting you to put faith in what he is saying. He has an agenda and it's not spreading good news about an Auburn quarterback. 

I somewhat agree with the not wanting a running back group, and here's why.

Ideally we will be passing the ball enough times, with enough success, that we should only need to rotate Bubba and KJ, and still keep them fresh throughout the season. Will Gus and Chip actually balance our attack that much? Who knows. But that is ideally what I would like to see happen, because that would mean that we are utilizing Stidham and our stable of formidable WR's. Think of 2004, when we passed the ball enough to not have to throw RB's in other than Caddy and Ronnie B, the entire season.

20 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I somewhat agree with the not wanting a running back group, and here's why.

Ideally we will be passing the ball enough times, with enough success, that we should only need to rotate Bubba and KJ, and still keep them fresh throughout the season. Will Gus and Chip actually balance our attack that much? Who knows. But that is ideally what I would like to see happen, because that would mean that we are utilizing Stidham and our stable of formidable WR's. Think of 2004, when we passed the ball enough to not have to throw RB's in other than Caddy and Ronnie B, the entire season.

In 2004 Cadillac and Ronnie combined for 392 carries, next running back down had 38 carries and had 304 attempts passing, In 2016, Pettaway and Johnson combined for 391 carriers, next running back down had 44 carriers and had 289 attempts passing.

Pretty much the same. Passing was 1 attempt difference per game.

I had to hold my nose to open this thread. I don't trust a word this guy says. I hope we are a real threat this next season and that Stidham is the real deal, but I'd rather hear it from another individual. I'm just glad it wasn't another story slamming us for something. :-\

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I had to hold my nose to open this thread. I don't trust a word this guy says. I hope we are a real threat this next season and that Stidham is the real deal, but I'd rather hear it from another individual. I'm just glad it wasn't another story slamming us for something. :-\

It's not just Finebaum saying it. 

People are taking someone opinion way too serious and if it is accurate , it is not like he said something to cause unhinging 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I wouldn't take anything that Finebaum says as anything but what it is, a debate point. He has always seemed to relish Auburn falling short of expectations. I don't trust him. He is the serpent in the garden, tempting you to put faith in what he is saying. He has an agenda and it's not spreading good news about an Auburn quarterback. 

Everything Finebaum says is designed to tweak fan bases and stir up controversy to increase numbers for his program.  Anything factual he says is by chance.  His ultimate goal is to improve show ratings.  A good way to tweak Bammers is to talk about Stidham and Auburn dominating.  If it happens Auburn fans call in to gloat, if it doesn't happen, Bammer fans call in to gloat.  Finebaum is basically like Satan - he want to increase his numbers at any cost.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I don't understand why people keep insinuating that Gus has not and will never hand over the reins to Chip.  Everything that he has done so far has proven he was a man of his word.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't understand why people keep insinuating that Gus has not and will never hand over the reins to Chip.  Everything that he has done so far has proven he was a man of his word.

I get what you're saying, but there are some jaded folks after he was supposedly turning over everything to CRL last year, and we all saw what happened... Did I mention Finebaum who?  ;)

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't understand why people keep insinuating that Gus will hand over the reins to Chip. Everything has done so far has proven he was a man of his word.

See how I only remove a couple of words and go in a different direction? 1.  Gus was supposedly ordered to be hands of last season after the A&M game.  He had to be told. 2.  Supposedly he couldn't help but involve himself again for UG, Bama, and OU.  3. Chip was the pick Gus was most comfortable with.  I am not comfortable with Gus being comfortable. 

33 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I don't understand why people keep insinuating that Gus will hand over the reins to Chip. Everything has done so far has proven he was a man of his word.

See how I only remove a couple of words and go in a different direction? 1.  Gus was supposedly ordered to be hands of last season after the A&M game.  He had to be told. 2.  Supposedly he couldn't help but involve himself again for UG, Bama, and OU.  3. Chip was the pick Gus was most comfortable with.  I am not comfortable with Gus being comfortable. 

I don't really understand your point of re-wording what I said.  And I like how you pick the three games where the game was completely out of anyone's control, so you can't put that on Gus, nor is anyone else.  Our team was decimated by injuries those games.  But I am not getting into those games again just because those have been beaten to death (with a baseball bat with barbed wire wrapped around it).  Just don't throw out blind statements like that when facts are showing he is going hands-off for the 2017 season.  That's all I am saying.

1 hour ago, 80Tiger said:

In 2004 Cadillac and Ronnie combined for 392 carries, next running back down had 38 carries and had 304 attempts passing, In 2016, Pettaway and Johnson combined for 391 carriers, next running back down had 44 carriers and had 289 attempts passing.

Pretty much the same. Passing was 1 attempt difference per game.

The difference in that '04 balance and our '16 balance is that the '04 team knew going in that those guys were going to split the carries bc each guy had proven themselves to be forces as individuals. In '16 it felt like we ran one into the ground then ran the other into the ground while waiting for the first one to heal up. We weren't giving defenses doses of both throughout the games. We were making KJ be a tough, physical runner -- and he actually runs tougher than his size/frame would allow him to over the course of an entire season IMO -- but I imagine if those guys were splitting carries from the beginning they both possibly might have been able to survive the entire season without injury.

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I don't really understand your point of re-wording what I said.  And I like how you pick the three games where the game was completely out of anyone's control, so you can't put that on Gus, nor is anyone else.  Our team was decimated by injuries those games.  But I am not getting into those games again just because those have been beaten to death (with a baseball bat with barbed wire wrapped around it).  Just don't throw out blind statements like that when facts are showing he is going hands-off for the 2017 season.  That's all I am saying.

Please state facts.  Other than "Gus said!"

Oh, and when you make $4,750,000, YES FANS GET TO BLAME YOU!!!!!!  IN FACT, GUS NEEDS TO ANSWER FOR THAT STOMACH FLU I GOT A WEEK AGO!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

Please state facts.  Other than "Gus said!"

Oh, and when you make $4,750,000, YES FANS GET TO BLAME YOU!!!!!!  IN FACT, GUS NEEDS TO ANSWER FOR THAT STOMACH FLU I GOT A WEEK AGO!!!!!!

Okay I will:

- Starting in 2017, Gus deferred to Chip Lindsey on if Auburn's quarterbacks can work with outside QB coaches, which Chip allowed.  Anyone who knows Gus' system knows that was a big no-no and would never be allowed.

- The first scrimmage the mix was 60/40 run/pass plays.  In the past it has always been 80/20.  The second scrimmage it was again 60/40 run/pass plays.

- Auburn went out and signed two catching TE's in one cycle, has not been done before.  The last TE to be like that was Lutz.

That should be enough to suffice.  Now your turn.  Same rules.  Please state facts on how Gus has shown he will take over again in 2017.  I will also allow quotes from players, or coaches.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Okay I will:

- Starting in 2017, Gus deferred to Chip Lindsey on if Auburn's quarterbacks can work with outside QB coaches, which Chip allowed.  Anyone who knows Gus' system knows that was a big no-no and would never be allowed.

- The first scrimmage the mix was 60/40 run/pass plays.  In the past it has always been 80/20.  The second scrimmage it was again 60/40 run/pass plays.

- Auburn went out and signed two catching TE's in one cycle, has not been done before.  The last TE to be like that was Lutz.

That should be enough to suffice.  Now your turn.  Same rules.  Please state facts on how Gus has shown he will take over again in 2017.  I will also allow quotes from players, or coaches.

Those are good points.  Here is my evidence:

- Gus is stubborn!

- Spring practice is rarely indicative of the actual season.

Yes, you make good points, but I am not going to be convinced until the team is in the thick of its' SEC schedule.  If at that point it appears Gus has really turned it over then I will admit you are right and I am wrong.  Honestly, I hope you are right because I am sick and tired of 8-5, 7-6, 8-5.  However, old habits die hard and Gus is notoriously stubborn, and if it wasn't do to influential boosters Rhett would still be the OC.  So we will see what is more important to Gus.  His ego or his job. 

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Okay I will:

Lindsey hasn't been given the full green light yet. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Lindsey hasn't been given the full green light yet. 

This coming from the guy who doesn't eat PB&J...........................

Kidding, your knowledge is appreciated.

Archived