Installing defensive package

aubiefifty

Auburn installing key defensive package during final week of spring practices

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn's final week of spring practice has included the installation of one of the defense's key situational packages.

The Tigers wrapped up their 12th of 15 spring practices on Tuesday, and it included the introduction of the team's Rabbits package -- its special package that includes the team's four best pass-rushers on the field at once along the defensive line on obvious passing downs. Last year, the Rabbits included Carl Lawson at one end, with Jeff Holland on the other, with Marlon Davidson shifting inside to tackle alongside Montravius Adams.

Players wanted to install the package earlier this spring, but defensive line coach Rodney Garner said there were other areas the defense needed to focus on early on. As spring practice winds down, however, the package has finally been introduced -- which could help develop Auburn's pass rush.

"I feel like we're getting better in it," Garner said about the team's pass-rush. "Obviously, we have to be smart in it because we can't -- we don't want to hurt our quarterback, but I think we've done some good stuff in it. I think we'll -- I think last year we were a pretty good four-down pass-rush team. The goal is to be a better four-down pass-rush team, and that's a process."

Part of that, of course, is finding the replacements for Lawson and Adams, who combined for 13 1/2 sacks, 39 hurries and two forced fumbles. Adams also had a fumble recovery for a touchdown last season against Mississippi State -- a play that came in the Rabbits package.

"That's still in progress," Steele said. "I mean and when you say 'replace,' now wait a minute... I mean if we're waiting to replace Mon and Carl now, we got problems. That's done in recruiting before and not just past signing class, years ago, it's done in practice, development, like I said, we can't re-sign them. It ain't one of those where, hey, we can sign this guy to another three-year deal. It's not the way it is in college.

"When I got here we knew, when Rodney got here he knew, those guys are going to leave after four years of playing, three years of playing, whatever the case may be. So he better have guys' replacement."

Steele wasn't ready to say who the Tigers were looking at to fill those roles on obvious pass-rushing downs heading into next season, but the Tigers certainly have some options to play in the Rabbits package along with Davidson and Holland. Defensive ends Paul James III, Nick Coe and Tre' Threat could potentially line up opposite Holland, while the likes of Derrick Brown and Andrew Williams, among others, could fill Adams' role in that package.

"We don't have to answer your question right now because we're not playing tomorrow," Steele said. "If we played tomorrow, could we? Yes. Would be good enough? Yes. But that's not absolute yet, there's still some competition to it."

Archived