Steele on spring practices

aubiefifty

What Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said about spring practices

Wesley Sinor | wsinor@al.com

Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele is scheduled to meet with the media at approximately 6 p.m. Tuesday to recap spring practices and preview Saturday's A-Day scrimmage.

Refresh this page for the latest updates from Steele.

-- Takeaways have been an emphasis for Auburn's defense this spring.

-- Tre' Williams scored a touchdown in Auburn's scrimmage last weekend.

-- Steele wants "18-22" starters on defense. 

-- Jeremiah Dinson, Javaris Davis and Stephen Roberts have all played at the Star position

-- Dinson, Daniel Thomas working at safety

-- Freshman Chandler Wooten has "done a good job" but 

-- Defensive line has been "constant" outside of Nick Coe's move from Buck to defensive end

-- Steele on seeing Jeremiah Dinson at full speed for the first time: "He truly has the skill set and the mental makeup to quarterback a defense. Very, very intelligent football player."

-- Steele says Auburn is getting close to having "seven or eight" regular players on the defensive line. "We play a lot of people."

-- Dontavius Russell was "very effective" last fall and Steele has seen a difference in him this year. "More comfortable, good technician, making more extra effort plays."

-- Tre' Williams is "so hard on himself" each play. Steele was impressed with him during last weekend's scrimmage. "He can set an edge, he's powerful, has a knack for pass rush."

-- Nick Ruffin "has done good things" this spring. "He's done a nice job of focusing."

-- True freshmen Malcolm Askew and Chandler Wooten understand the defense and have talent, but still need to get more reps to get comfortable.

-- Depth at safety is a concern as cornerbacks have been playing the position

-- Steele says running back Kam Martin has not been working in the secondary, despite what he said last weekend -- but "It'd be fun."

-- Steele says Andrew Williams has potential to start on the defensive line. "Wouldn't say that last year."

-- Steele has been impressed with Rodney Garner's recruitment

-- Byron Cowart seems "more comfortable" at defensive tackle. Praises his pass rushing.

-- Steele says he'd "absolutely" like to have the 10th assistant on defense.

-- Steele would like to see "great effort, physicality and tackling" on Saturday.

-- Injured freshman linebacker K.J. Britt needs to "learn the language" this spring

-- Marlon Davidson is "easy to coach." 

-- Nick Coe, who redshirted practiced on the second team last season, was "close" to playing last season as a true freshman. Steele praises his development this spring.

Man, this one was very interesting to me. Lots of stuff. 

58 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

-- Dontavius Russell was "very effective" last fall and Steele has seen a difference in him this year. "More comfortable, good technician, making more extra effort plays."

-- Steele says running back Kam Martin has not been working in the secondary, despite what he said last weekend -- but "It'd be fun."

-- Steele says Andrew Williams has potential to start on the defensive line. "Wouldn't say that last year."

-- Byron Cowart seems "more comfortable" at defensive tackle. Praises his pass rushing.

-LOVE hearing that about Russell and A. Williams.
-Cowart as DT on passing downs? Yes please.
-Odd about Kam Martin? 

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Steele says running back Kam Martin has not been working in the secondary, despite what he said last weekend -- but "It'd be fun."

Brandon Marcello making stuff up? Someone being less than truthful? If I were a reporter I'd be following up on that.  Doesn't make any sense.

1 hour ago, bigsixfive said:

April fools

So the fool is?

Brandon Marcello for publishing it?

Fans for believing it?

FYI, i did have a story pop up on my phone about Cowboys trading Romo for JJ Wyatt, and my first reaction was BS, this is some dumbass doing an April Fool's deal (and it was).  IF that is what Marcello did, he just lost all credibility as a reporter.

Does anyone actually find that funny?

Archived