dynamic in the backfield

aubiefifty

Jarrett Stidham developing chemistry with Auburn running backs

James Crepea | jcrepea@al.com

For all the attention paid to the relationship between a quarterback and his receivers, and deservedly so, the chemistry between running backs and a signal caller is nearly as important.

With Auburn expanding its use of RPOs (run-pass option) plays under offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey, the decision making of the quarterbacks is vital and the exchange between them and the running backs is executed in a similar manner to the zone-read.

Beyond the fine-tuning routes with Auburn's receivers, Jarrett Stidham has been perfecting his footwork with the running backs during spring practice.

"It's been really good," Stidham said. "The first day (was) just trying to get used to the steps and whatnot, but really after that first day we just hit it off and just like it's always been."

Jarrett Stidham already 'looks like an SEC starter'

Jarrett Stidham already 'looks like an SEC starter'

Jarrett Stidham has been competing for the starting job this spring with incumbent starter Sean White, redshirt freshman Woody Barrett and freshman Malik Willis.

From all accounts, the dynamic in the backfield has been quite good with Auburn's quarterbacks and running backs this spring.

Woody Barrett is a mobile quarterback and Malik Willis has impressed everyone with his playmaking abilities.

"You really do have to give kudos to Jarrett Stidham and Malik Willis and Woody," running backs coach Tim Horton said. "I think they've all done a good job. We've got good kids that get along with each other, that want to see each other successful and do well and are good encouragers to one another. I think the chemistry is really good; not just with the running backs and the quarterbacks, but really the entire offense and I think the chemistry on our entire team is pretty good right now."

Stidham said he's "comfortable" with running himself and he showed some of that while at Baylor in 2015. He had 36 carries for 70 yards with two touchdowns as a freshman but lost 51 yards on nine sacks, so there were 27 runs for 121 yards up field.

Though he was rated the No. 1 dual-threat quarterback by 247Sports in 2015, don't expect Stidham to be challenging rushing records.

"I'm not going to lie; I'm not going to be Cam Newton or Nick Marshall and take it 75 to the house," Stidham said. :I'm probably going to get caught from behind. It's just not my game.

"I like to run around a little bit, keep the defense honest and I think we'll have some of it."

More will be known after Saturday's A-Day game as to what the Tigers need to work on during the off-season and while Stidham will work on his many perceived weaknesses regardless, teammates continue to praise his leadership and attitude.

"When Jarrett first got here he told me he wanted to step in here and be a leader from the jump and that's what he did," said running back Kam Martin, who signed at Baylor before coming to Auburn. "Every day Jarrett is breaking out the group. He's just stepping up and being a leader."

Archived