Baseball Postseason Chatter

So my friends and I went to Omaha last year just for the experience (if you haven't been and love baseball, GO!  It's amazing.)  Gotta be honest here...if we went a year too early, I'm going to be a little sad.

With that, great weekend in Starkville.  Think we need the following:

Sweep Bama, At least one in Red Stick, and win the OM series.  That would be a 20-10 SEC record, which at minimum would get us a regional host.  Win at LSU and then we're talking national seed.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Sweep Bama, At least one in Red Stick, and win the OM series.  That would be a 20-10 SEC record, which at minimum would get us a regional host.  Win at LSU and then we're talking national seed.

Can't forget the impact the SEC Tourney may have on resumes. Remember most teams in that tournament will lose 2 games. We likely can't go 0-2 there and get a Super unless we get all our remaining regular season games.

And the 20-10 alone wouldn't get us a regional host given our bad losses. It would also likely have to include at least 1st in the SEC West or a couple Ws in Hoover.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Can't forget the impact the SEC Tourney may have on resumes. Remember most teams in that tournament will lose 2 games. We likely can't go 0-2 there and get a Super unless we get all our remaining regular season games.

And the 20-10 alone wouldn't get us a regional host given our bad losses. It would also likely have to include at least 1st in the SEC West or a couple Ws in Hoover.

Well actually , if 10 teams play in the tournament as I understand it all but the winner will end up with two losses.... Isn't it double elimination for everyone?

Or do the lowered seed teams have a single elimination to move up ?  Either way...seems the higher seeded teams ...other than the winner are going to get two losses.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

So my friends and I went to Omaha last year just for the experience (if you haven't been and love baseball, GO!  It's amazing.)  Gotta be honest here...if we went a year too early, I'm going to be a little sad.

With that, great weekend in Starkville.  Think we need the following:

Can you not go back? Did you get banned from Omaha.^-^ Always heard the same. Great trip and venue. I like the sweep bammer. Sacrificing a fishing trip and headed home to Auburn for the series.opportunity to make the Baton Rouge trip but may forego that one. I say we just win out and be done .

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Can you not go back? Did you get banned from Omaha.^-^ Always heard the same. Great trip and venue. I like the sweep bammer. Sacrificing a fishing trip and headed home to Auburn for the series.opportunity to make the Baton Rouge trip but may forego that one. I say we just win out and be done .

Not banned, but just can't swing it this year.  Need to save money and vacation time for my 5th anniversary trip with my wife at the end of the year.  My friends and I will go back some day though, especially if AU is there.

See you in Auburn this weekend.  I'm flying in from Texas.  Going to the series with the same friends I went to the CWS with last year and getting some fishing in while we're at it too :beer2:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Well actually , if 10 teams play in the tournament as I understand it all but the winner will end up with two losses.... Isn't it double elimination for everyone?

Or do the lowered seed teams have a single elimination to move up ?  Either way...seems the higher seeded teams ...other than the winner are going to get two losses.

In the SECT, there are 12 teams. Seeds 5-12 play a single elimination round. Then, once trimmed down to 8, it's double elimination. The top overall team gets the 1 seed. The other division winner gets the 2 seed, and the 3 and 4 seeds are determined by best record. Top 4 seeds get a bye. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

If they play the same format as last year, it's possible to get to the semi-final and lose for the first time and be done.  LSU and Ole Miss both went 3-1 in the tournament last year and A&M and Florida met in the final game both with 3-1 records.

Thanks...recall that sometime in recent years they changed the scheme but was not sure how it currently plays out.

I was in Hoover a couple times...great site for a tournament....but fewer teams and a different foremat.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Thanks...recall that sometime in recent years they changed the scheme but was not sure how it currently plays out.

If we could go 3-1 in the tourney and not have to play 5th game that might make everybody happy...you, me, Ellitor, the selection committee and the entire family ;)

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

In the SECT, there are 12 teams. Seeds 5-12 play a single elimination round. Then, once trimmed down to 8, it's double elimination. The top two teams in each division get a bye. 

This part is incorrect. The top team in each division gets a bye not the top 2 in each division. After division champs are decided the rest of the field is numbered 3-12 regardless of division with 3 & 4 getting byes. 3 & 4 can come from the same division. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This part is incorrect. The top team in each division gets a bye not the top 2 in each division. After division champs are decides the rest of the fiels is numbered 3-12 regardless of division with 3 & 4 getting byes. 3 & 4 can come from the same division. 

Realized it after I posted it was incorrect. I edited my post.

Just now, boomstick said:

Realized it after I posted it was incorrect. I edited my post.

It's an easy mistake if you look back at the past SEC Tourneys. Since this format started in 2013, 3 & 4 have come from opposite divisions every year.

Just now, ellitor said:

It's an easy mistake if you look back at the past SEC Tourneys. Since this format started in 2013, 3 & 4 have come from opposite divisions every year.

That's what I was basing it on, and since we haven't been in what seems like forever (or been competitive at least), I got confused.

FWIW if the SEC Tourney started today AU would be the #1 seed by virtue of winning the division tie breaker over Miss St then the common opponent tie breaker over UK by winning the Miss St Series. UK lost their series to Miss St.

47 minutes ago, boomstick said:

That's what I was basing it on, and since we haven't been in what seems like forever (or been competitive at least), I got confused.

Agree ...I was there a number or years when AU used to be there and also a factor....great fun...anyone in range of Hoover ought to plan on seeing some games.   LSU and MSU fans are always out in force....and the in-state schools do OK if the teams have a chance.   Wife went..watched baseball and walked around the parking lots and park off and on while I watched , I think it was most of 4 games in the same day starting about 10 AM or something like that..

5 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Teddy Cahill from Baseball America has Auburn in his latest "Eight for Omaha" projection.

I don't think that means national seeds though. You gotta think UK would be a national top 8 seed with RPI #3 in the country. They are not mentioned in that eight for Omaha however.

That must mean the 8 he thinks will advance to Omaha. 

4 minutes ago, boomstick said:

College Sports Madness has released their latest projection. Not favorable to Auburn here.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

Well it's a good thing they are historically the worst predictors of all the outlets who do these projections.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

I don't think that means national seeds though. You gotta think UK would be a national top 8 seed with RPI #3 in the country. They are not mentioned in that eight for Omaha however.

Definitely not national seed rankings from him.  Just the eight he thinks will make Omaha as of this week.  Changes every week.

46 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Wow! Warren Nolan has us the #5 national seed with LSU hosting the other region in our bracket. Our region would be with FSU, North Fl & Mercer.

That's probably right...we can't get away from FSU and no matter where, will probably end up with them in the same bracket. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's probably right...we can't get away from FSU and no matter where, will probably end up with them in the same bracket. 

It may be on the high side. our noncon RPI & SOS is pretty weak for a national seed.

Archived