aubiefifty

Renderings of stadium renovation

Recommended Posts

There are actually a handful of NFL stadiums with corner press boxes, so not as unusual as I thought. Examples are Broncos, Patriots, Cardinals and Giants/Eagles. That makes me more amenable to the location, but I agree with everyone else who doesn't like it as a standalone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




2 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Going to be sad when this project gets in the way of the one that really needs to be done. 

This goes hand-in-hand with the larger $145 million project. The southwest renovation keeps the locker room on that side. Moving it to the north end zone would've cost an unnecessary amount of money. Renovating the current locker room was a more strategic and wiser move. I expect the north endzone to get a makeover in the near future. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

My beef is less on the recruiting lounge but more on the press box and how it just seems to sit on top and how it looks from inside the stadium.  No symmetry or alignment with the overall architecture of the stadium.  Unless, the "master plan" is to put a similar structure on the other side of the scoreboard in the South End Zone and then, ultimately proceed with the North End Zone expansion ... But I haven't heard any of that.  That's just me suggesting.

C8ViDtrXgAA3-De.jpg

 

Where did you get this image? I have yet to see this with the screens on the corner and not on top. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunInRed said:

Again, my beef isn't with relocation of the press box per se, it's more the process and communication thereof. We've what, seen how many different renderings? Plans scrapped?  And now a few years later we'll be in $40M+ for a new scoreboard ($13M) with a tarp-removed open back and this expansion ($28M).

It just seems the whole thing is scatter shot, reactionary, incomplete, ill-planned and certainly not aligned to any "vision."

And frankly, where they are putting the press box, as a stand-alone facility, looks like crap.

THIS!!! With Scoreboard (13M), this building(28), and the former press box renovation (which is being voted on by the board on 04/07, 12M) we will be in at $53M. Schools are spending 50-75M on entire end zone renovations. Louisville is adding 10k seats, new boxes, and renovating their football complex for $66M. We are basically throwing money away, but then cite money as an issue for these expansions.

If it is true the board just simply doesn't trust JJ to handle a complete renovation, then it is their job to get rid of him. If you cannot trust your AD to complete a 100M-150M renovation then how do you trust him to run a 140M a year department. 

 

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/trustees/materials170407.pdf - Page 16-18 shows the cost and rendering of changing the press box to premium seating.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AU13HSV said:

THIS!!! With Scoreboard (13M), this building(28), and the former press box renovation (which is being voted on by the board on 04/07, 12M) we will be in at $53M. Schools are spending 50-75M on entire end zone renovations. Louisville is adding 10k seats, new boxes, and renovating their football complex for $66M. We are basically throwing money away, but then cite money as an issue for these expansions.

If it is true the board just simply doesn't trust JJ to handle a complete renovation, then it is their job to get rid of him. If you cannot trust your AD to complete a 100M-150M renovation then how do you trust him to run a 140M a year department. 

 

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/trustees/materials170407.pdf - Page 16-18 shows the cost and rendering of changing the press box to premium seating.

I'm not sure where this the board doesn't trust JJ stuff comes from.  I've heard nothing of it other then rumblings on this board.  They trusted him to oversee the basketball arena and it turned out spectacular.  Perfect for basketball, perfect size for our crowds.  As with all positions for any job either let the man do his job or fire him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm not sure where this the board doesn't trust JJ stuff comes from.  I've heard nothing of it other then rumblings on this board.  They trusted him to oversee the basketball arena and it turned out spectacular.  Perfect for basketball, perfect size for our crowds.  As with all positions for any job either let the man do his job or fire him.

I agree, I always have the same thought when everyone says the board doesn't trust him. That was a huge project and turned out great. My post was to make the point that if that is the true problem, then they need to act.

 

 Part of me assumes the donors might have fatigue from the recent billion dollar campaign, or the overall lack of winning. The department should have used the "13 seconds better" slogan after 2013 to secure the funding for any upgrades. Money seems to flow better when you are winning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like that they removed the AU in the carpet in the locker room.  That is pretty iconic for Auburn's locker room...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, logan adams said:

Where did you get this image? I have yet to see this with the screens on the corner and not on top. 

I got connections ;)

160427-aerial-10_orig.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AU13HSV said:

THIS!!! With Scoreboard (13M), this building(28), and the former press box renovation (which is being voted on by the board on 04/07, 12M) we will be in at $53M. Schools are spending 50-75M on entire end zone renovations. Louisville is adding 10k seats, new boxes, and renovating their football complex for $66M. We are basically throwing money away, but then cite money as an issue for these expansions.

If it is true the board just simply doesn't trust JJ to handle a complete renovation, then it is their job to get rid of him. If you cannot trust your AD to complete a 100M-150M renovation then how do you trust him to run a 140M a year department. 

 

http://www.auburn.edu/administration/trustees/materials170407.pdf - Page 16-18 shows the cost and rendering of changing the press box to premium seating.

Maybe you should consider the reverse.....if they trust him to run a $140M business, why would they not trust him to handle this project?

Not intending to be snarky about this...but I'm wondering if some folks have any clue about how a big business is run....the use of outside consultants, architects and the like to get the best ideas for keeping facilities attractive and modern.  

Having managed a few modest projects in my past I can say with experience that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get people to agree on a design for something complex...I mean it's almost impossible to get people to just agree on the carpet or the color of paint to use on the walls.   Basically you do some preliminary work with a few architects who know the industry and the have one propose a few designs, let the architects put their ideas before a focus group / charrette or two...tweak the design and get buy-in from the people who are going to pay for it....and then let the architect do his/her job.  That can take a while, especially if you are trying to raise money for the job before it's even designed.  Meanwhile, since apparently the project is almost 1/3rd subscribed, I'm betting those early donors have signed off on the plan in some way before it was released.

From that point on, all that can be done is let the nay-sayers nay-say and go about the business of getting the work done.  Sorry to say it, but good or bad....you can bet that this is not JJ's design and might not even been his preferred idea....probably had input and been approved by dozens of people along the way..Trustees, PTBs and University leadership to get a consensus and the timing of the project... if for no other reason than to avoid having major fundraising campaigns competing with each other. ........Just some things to consider. :dunno:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

There are actually a handful of NFL stadiums with corner press boxes, so not as unusual as I thought. Examples are Broncos, Patriots, Cardinals and Giants/Eagles. That makes me more amenable to the location, but I agree with everyone else who doesn't like it as a standalone.  

It's becoming the standard for new stadiums as people want the revenue from 50 yard line luxury boxes.  You can add the Cowboys, Bears, and 49ers to your list.  Also, I think LSU's press box was moved to a corner/10 yard line in the last few years as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO, spending millions for that Jumbotron was a waste of money. Because of it, I don't see how we could close in that endzone. What was wrong with the scoreboard we took down to make room for that Jumbotron? Nothing was wrong with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Maybe you should consider the reverse.....if they trust him to run a $140M business, why would they not trust him to handle this project?

Not intending to be snarky about this...but I'm wondering if some folks have any clue about how a big business is run....the use of outside consultants, architects and the like to get the best ideas for keeping facilities attractive and modern.  

Having managed a few modest projects in my past I can say with experience that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get people to agree on a design for something complex...I mean it's almost impossible to get people to just agree on the carpet or the color of paint to use on the walls.   Basically you do some preliminary work with a few architects who know the industry and the have one propose a few designs, let the architects put their ideas before a focus group / charrette or two...tweak the design and get buy-in from the people who are going to pay for it....and then let the architect do his/her job.  That can take a while, especially if you are trying to raise money for the job before it's even designed.  Meanwhile, since apparently the project is almost 1/3rd subscribed, I'm betting those early donors have signed off on the plan in some way before it was released.

From that point on, all that can be done is let the nay-sayers nay-say and go about the business of getting the work done.  Sorry to say it, but good or bad....you can bet that this is not JJ's design and might not even been his preferred idea....probably had input and been approved by dozens of people along the way..Trustees, PTBs and University leadership to get a consensus and the timing of the project... if for no other reason than to avoid having major fundraising campaigns competing with each other. ........Just some things to consider. :dunno:

 

 

It is actually the point I am trying to make. If you can trust him to do one, you can trust him to do the other. 

And it wasn't snarky, I am currently working on the building committee for an office expansion with the company I work for ,so I know all about it haha. There is no way to make everyone happy, specially when you start getting into the design of a stadium for a team people are so passionate about. I really think fundraising is the biggest issue.

Hell, Tim Cook is on campus today and just completed a $5 billion HQ project, lets let him take it over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

 

Agreed.

Although, I still don't like the idea of a press box in the corner, period. 

Agreed but for, probably, different reasons.

Don't have two farts to give for the "looks" (and thank God my wife is of a similar persuasion). Never considered our stadium as a high-class postcard model anyway.

As one to whom radio was (mostly) my only source, and to whom such is still (occasionally, while traveling, with my tech-savvy or lack thereof, when I do get out) important, I worry about the resulting commentary. Important to "visualizing" the field from such commentary, the "Tigers are moving left to right" are every bit as important as "sweep around left end" in interpreting "pushed out at the 5 on the far side of the field."

Is (whatever is left of) the radio experience preserved in the examples (above) of corner press-boxes?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AUinTLoosa said:

Agreed but for, probably, different reasons.

Don't have two farts to give for the "looks" (and thank God my wife is of a similar persuasion). Never considered our stadium as a high-class postcard model anyway.

As one to whom radio was (mostly) my only source, and to whom such is still (occasionally, while traveling, with my tech-savvy or lack thereof, when I do get out) important, I worry about the resulting commentary. Important to "visualizing" the field from such commentary, the "Tigers are moving left to right" are every bit as important as "sweep around left end" in interpreting "pushed out at the 5 on the far side of the field."

Is (whatever is left of) the radio experience preserved in the examples (above) of corner press-boxes?

 

I was originally thinking the same thing, but it seems to be more common than I thought to put boxes in the corners. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Agreed but for, probably, different reasons.

Don't have two farts to give for the "looks" (and thank God my wife is of a similar persuasion). Never considered our stadium as a high-class postcard model anyway.

As one to whom radio was (mostly) my only source, and to whom such is still (occasionally, while traveling, with my tech-savvy or lack thereof, when I do get out) important, I worry about the resulting commentary. Important to "visualizing" the field from such commentary, the "Tigers are moving left to right" are every bit as important as "sweep around left end" in interpreting "pushed out at the 5 on the far side of the field."

Is (whatever is left of) the radio experience preserved in the examples (above) of corner press-boxes?

 

Yep.....same here with radio calls of games....but I guess with the press box to sorta be on one side, I guess the guys calling the game can try to keep that old mental image of the team moving from right to left or vice versa.  Gonna be a few years before we find out though...:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, logan adams said:

Where did you get this image? I have yet to see this with the screens on the corner and not on top. 

That image is completely unrealistic! Those corner screens look to be completed on the back and not patched up with a faded loose tarp with a generic image. You know dang well, that's not how we do things. Auburn is all about showing the inside steel of their structures or putting a pretty Auburn bandaid on them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We use to have the second biggest stadium in the SEC and one of the biggest stadiums in all of college football. We've long since been left behind in the dust by the likes bammer, A&M, UT, LSU, UGA and that's just in our own conference. We can't even pass Georgia's Samford Stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

IMO, spending millions for that Jumbotron was a waste of money. Because of it, I don't see how we could close in that endzone. What was wrong with the scoreboard we took down to make room for that Jumbotron? Nothing was wrong with it.

The reason for replacing the old scoreboard was because the parts we needed for the scoreboard were no longer being made, so the scoreboard became obsolete. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

section-rendering-labels2-copy_orig.jpg

 

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

exterior-ne-approach_orig.jpg

 

6 hours ago, RunInRed said:

I got connections ;)

160427-aerial-10_orig.jpg

My god... These are beautiful. WHEN (I'm pretty sure we are past the whole "IF" phase.. we know changes are coming), we will be right back at the top or near the top of stadiums in the country. 

EDIT: Do you have a copy of an image with this updated view?

north-end-insidejpg-910415cef474e101.jpg

Edited by logan adams
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That image is completely unrealistic! Those corner screens look to be completed on the back and not patched up with a faded loose tarp with a generic image. You know dang well, that's not how we do things. Auburn is all about showing the inside steel of their structures or putting a pretty Auburn bandaid on them.

Is it still a plan in the works to put screens on the backside of the jumbotron? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, logan adams said:

 

 

My god... These are beautiful. WHEN (I'm pretty sure we are past the whole "IF" phase.. we know changes are coming), we will be right back at the top or near the top of stadiums in the country. 

EDIT: Do you have a copy of an image with this updated view?

north-end-insidejpg-910415cef474e101.jpg

With you on that. Interesting, do not know if it was ever public knowledge that in the late 80's or early 90's a group of local businessmen and investors presented a similar look revitalizing the north end zone. That plan incorporated a parking deck with club seating, etc... They made a similar proposal to the University that the Hotel and Conference developers did. Operate for profit X years and then give to the University. I had a rendering of it at one time and can not recall what became of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now